Sport-scale North Korean Taepodong-2

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cookie the Dog's Owner

Reaction score
Submitted for your consideration (evisceration?), my first attempt at designing a rocket in OpenRocket.

The design is for a sport-scale Taepodong built with BT-20 and BT-55 body tubes. I say "sport-scale" because the "upper stages" are a little fat relative to the first stage, and the fins are slightly oversized.

The upper BT-20 would be one single part, even though it shows as two in OpenRocket--couldn't quite figure out how to get it to come out the way I wanted. Basically, everything above the transition section is one giant nose cone. I thought about simulating the interstage truss by cutting holes in the BT-20 just above the transition, and having a dummy second stage engine visible inside. (No idea how to simulate that in Open Rocket.) Do you think that would make the body tube too fragile? If so, any thoughts on how to beef it up?

I can guarantee, however, that it will fly better than the prototype.

View attachment Taepodong-2.ork

View attachment Taepodong-2.pdf

I thought about simulating the interstage truss by cutting holes in the BT-20 just above the transition, and having a dummy second stage engine visible inside. (No idea how to simulate that in Open Rocket.) Do you think that would make the body tube too fragile? If so, any thoughts on how to beef it up?

If you make a bunch of little cutouts to simulate the interstage truss, I would suggest at least reinforcing in some way. Maybe soaking the remaining BT with CA? Maybe running a dowel through the inside? (painted black to hide it visually a little bit) At this scale, I think you would be just fine to leave the BT20 intact and simply "paint" on some dark spots to represent the cutouts in the truss.

I think you will have an easier time getting good alignment of the BT20 upper portion if you use a pair of centering rings, one located as shown and an added one at the front edge of the lower BT55 (IOW, at the base of the transition).

And a rocket that small may fly quite well on 13mm A motors---this would make your stability margin a little better?

Last edited:
I think you will have an easier time getting good alignment of the BT20 upper portion if you use a pair of centering rings, one located as shown and an added one at the front edge of the lower BT55 (IOW, at the base of the transition).

That was my intention--hadn't noticed until you pointed it out that I'd left it out! :surprised: I've revised the design file.

View attachment Taepodong-2 v2.ork

You could always glue a coupler inside the cutout area, and then cut through it as well... that would double the wall thickness in that area, which would beef it up...

Make cutting a little harder though... but it would be stronger!

Later! OL JR :)

From what I've seen the Good Ole Boy's will let you launch the Kraut stuff because we kicked their butts twice and they too have a V2 in the truck. The Russkie stuff is OK with an evil empire comment and how we kicked their butt in the Cold War. CHI COMM stuff and anything French is still viewed with suspicion, even after mentioning the French are still on our side. Anything Iranian is a problem and bringing out a rocket from that whining little fat boy just might put them over the edge!

... At this scale, I think you would be just fine to leave the BT20 intact and simply "paint" on some dark spots to represent the cutouts in the truss.

I probably could get away with that, but if you look at the prototype photos, including film footage of the actual launch, the open area between stages is pretty obviously open-looking.

taepodon.jpg

You could always glue a coupler inside the cutout area, and then cut through it as well... that would double the wall thickness in that area, which would beef it up... Make cutting a little harder though... but it would be stronger!

I like that idea. I'll give it a try with some scrap BT-20.

I've finally decided to put my balsa where my mouth is and start building the thing. Photos will be posted as progress happens.

Here it is, ready to conquer outer space for the glory of the Great Leader, the Dear Leader, and the Guy Who Came After the Dear Leader Who We haven't Picked Out a "Leader" Name for Just Yet

Taepodong.jpg

I chickened out on the idea of cutting holes in the BT-20 to simulate the open trusswork between stages. If this one flies all right, I'll build a second one and try it then.

Flew it for the first time this afternoon on an A8-3. It scooted up to something short of 200 feet and just kind of hung there while the delay grain burned through. The parachute deployed and it was recovered with only minor damage to one fin. All in all, it easily outperformed the prototype.

Back