Mad Cow Tomach Build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ended up finishing the rocket, however did not launch it. I spent most of my time over the weekend tracking down other peoples rockets with them, and spending a long time tracking down one of my rockets that someone else had already picked up (we actually passed them coming in on our way out lol). The tomach was a bit big for the launch tower with the layers of Tip-Tip, so it can't be launched until August.

I'll strip the paint off the fins and fill it properly to get a smooth finish.

August launch shifted sites to a 7000ft ceiling due to weather... so no Tomach. Last chance this year is October, 3 weeks before my wedding... so I'm not sure if i'll make that launch. :(

The June launch will be the go. I have the motor sitting there waiting, the rocket sitting there waiting, I'll be grabbing the launch tower this weekend to enlarge it a few mm so the rocket fits in it. The June launch is the first this year with a ceiling high enough to fly this on a K1440.

That is good. I am really looking forward to hearing your results. I bought one of these when they were first introduced. I also have mine all built and just sitting in a corner; I took a bunch of photos so I need to recreate a build thread lol. I made some modifications to mine however. I will be launching it on a L935 and a K300, hopefully in July.

Hi Issus,

I just found your thread this evening while looking through TRF for anything on the Madcow Tomach. I just picked up the CF one along with the Aeropack and all the adaptors for this as well as my GLR MD 38mm Mariah, which is almost complete.

I feel your pain on the reality of using these with a CTI when you can't locate it without the motor loaded. I am going to contact them to see if I can get a blank for my 6XL. I would love to see yours once completed and a video is always cool.

Mine is a fall winter build for summer 2015, when I hope to hit one of the US launches with a decent ceiling and I am just going to load her up with the biggest motor she will take and try to rip the fins off. Here is the nosecone sitting on my desk calling to me.

View attachment 169943

Last edited:
I am looking forward to this one too, It's going to be interesting to see how much that skewed fin affects the launch.

At some point before the launch I want to strip thepaint off the fin can and finish filling the weave of the cloth in properly, we'll see how time goes though.

If you need a spent forward closure I can wash one up (so it doesnt set off any alarms) and mail it to you if nobody in Canada has one. I have a few lying around. I've taken to keeping spent CTI parts for this reason!

The 6GXL would be really awesome, I got mine before the extended body was an option.

Progress! Seeing as the launch is this weekend, I thought it would be a great idea to test fit everything together and get the ejection tests out of the way.

I had some issues, I was using a 1/4" quicklink on the AV Bay to the drogue, but there was just no way to get the shock cord, ejection charge, parachute and quick link in there together. I needed another 10-15mm of room no matter how many times i packed it. Going to a 1/8" quick link and a thinner nomex blanket let it fit. It was such a tight fit with the forward section trying to push out that I added 3x 2.5mm nylon screws for retention otherwise the AVBay would have separated from the motor on burnout I think.

Failed ejection test, was using 0.6g which I loaded before adding shear screws:
[YOUTUBE]uD4FpqF_DRQ[/YOUTUBE]

Doubled the charge and got an ejection I was happy with the energy on:
[YOUTUBE]gnu2lo18JMA[/YOUTUBE]

DSC00273-L.jpg

The thinner nomex blanket after two ejections. The chute was *slightly* melted from the heat, just enough to give it a glossy finish but not enough to effect it structurally I think.

For the main, I packed in the Cert-3 drogue I plan to fly with which was a super tight fit with a thick nomex blanket. The ejection charge on this was a full 2g vial (including glue to seal it and jtek ematch), its slightly over energetic but not so much so i'd tone it down ;)

[YOUTUBE]1g9j4V5-f0w[/YOUTUBE]

I also redid the AV bay for this a month ago, but didnt get around to posting it. This one is a single piece 3d printed AV Bay (includes bottom cap.)

DSC00279-L.jpg

It carries a Telemetrum 1.2 and an AIM USB 2.0, with a microswitch for disabling the AIM.

DSC00280-L.jpg

There are two separate batteries, a 2S 350mah Nanotech Lipo battery for the AIM USB, and a 1S 950mah Nanotech Lipo for the Telemetrum.

The battery tray for the 350mah is a separate piece that sits on top of the main stack.

DSC00271-L.jpg

There is a latched connector for the top plate to connect to. I've used this successfully before, it makes life much easier for connecting the board and will not come undone under any gforce a motor that fits in this rocket can generate.

DSC00278-L.jpg

Complete unit, after test firings.

DSC00275-L.jpg

After 3 ejections, the plastic is dirty but not even slightly marred. The hot melt glue keeps the terminal blocks sealed, otherwise the back of them rusts away in 6 months or so.

You might have to tell me what field lol. My altitude goal is 20,000 feet. I have the 2.6" screech with 54mm motor mount, if I put an L935 into it, open rocket says it'll go Mach 1.9 and 19,700 feet. My thinking RN is to build either a booster section for my screech, or use the booster from my screech and just put a Go Devil 38 on top of that, stage it to an I motor or even a J530 to get rediculous altitude. That might even go to 30k.

The standard Tomach 54 went to 21500', Mach 1.8 on an L640DT. I would think 20k' would be easily achievable.

I have a Go Devil 54 and a Go Devil 38 that are taunting me to stack them together :)

BTW, that field is somewhere in about a 3km radius of our Serpentine launch site down here in Oz. I would like to retrieve my motor casing, two Ravens and a Telemega. Over two years now.

Ya, that would be nice to retrieve lol, don't worry, m not gonna fly to the opposite side of the world to go find someone else's rocket lol. You should stack the Go Devils, but get the 29mm one as well and do a three stage sounding rocket :wink:.
that would be awesome to see.

Latest posts

Back