Apogee Testimony

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't think I've actually purchased anything from Apogee yet. I probably should sometime just because in my early start in this hobby I watched just about every one of his technique videos. They are a huge help.

Why do you feel obligated to do so because you watched his videos. You owe nothing to TVM or anyone else. If TVM wanted to compensate for the time he spent building his site, why not just charge a small membership fee of say $10 and this would allow special privileges to those who are members. Special discounts, access to "How To" videos, News Letters etc... I know Tower Hobbies has a similar program where you spend $9.99 a year and you get special discounts, you are on their mailing list, free magazine subscriptions, free shipping etc. The online store gains more customers, because they know they will have a special rate and special privileges. It's just one way that online stores can be creative in hard economic times to gain customers and stimulate spending and increase business growth.

Why do you feel obligated to do so because you watched his videos. You owe nothing to TVM or anyone else. If TVM wanted to compensate for the time he spent building his site, why not just charge a small membership fee of say $10 and this would allow special privileges to those who are members. Special discounts, access to "How To" videos, News Letters etc... I know Tower Hobbies has a similar program where you spend $9.99 a year and you get special discounts, you are on their mailing list, free magazine subscriptions, free shipping etc. The online store gains more customers, because they know they will have a special rate and special privileges. It's just one way that online stores can be creative in hard economic times to gain customers and stimulate spending.

I certainly don't feel obligated at all. I just feel that as a consumer, the only real way I can say thank you is with my wallet. Don't get me wrong...although it's a nice thought, I really probably won't be shopping there.

Something else to consider is the amount of time and effort that Tim puts into educational materials. That doesn't come for free, yet he gives it away.

-Kevin

And, from personal experience, the time and effort he affords other vendors, Tim personally answers all my silly vender/manufacturer questions. I've never met him, but my money is on him being a good guy.

While I get what you are saying, that analogy doesn't work. The "sit-down" burger is a superior product to the street vendor burger. They are apples to oranges. If you are talking about...say a CTI motor casing.....it is a product that is identical everywhere. So there has to be a reason to pay more or less for it at different vendors.

The economy in this country is (for now) a free enterprise system. That means that businesses charge whatever they think people will pay and the customers have a choice to pay or not pay. If enough pay, the business keeps the price, if not enough pay, they lower the price. It's a fantastic system for producing businesses offering high quality low price products that are available *somewhere* to compete with other businesses that don't.

Apogee asked the original poster for his opinion as another way to get feedback and there's nothing wrong with his reply. If Apogee charges more, it's not because they're "greedy" or they're trying to "screw over their customers". They could charge less, but why would they if they don't have to? I don't see anything wrong with what anyone charges as long as I'm not FORCED to buy whatever it is.

Companies aren't in the business to sell rocket kits and supplies to be nice to us. Anyone reading this right now want to take a pay cut just to be nice to your business' customers?

Go Apogee! Go Estes! Go Fliskits! Go Dr. Zooch! Good luck to everyone that wants to compete for our dollars. :grin:

The economy in this country is (for now) a free enterprise system. That means that businesses charge whatever they think people will pay and the customers have a choice to pay or not pay. If enough pay, the business keeps the price, if not enough pay, they lower the price. It's a fantastic system for producing businesses offering high quality low price products that are available *somewhere* to compete with other businesses that don't.

Apogee asked the original poster for his opinion as another way to get feedback and there's nothing wrong with his reply. If Apogee charges more, it's not because they're "greedy" or they're trying to "screw over their customers". They could charge less, but why would they if they don't have to? I don't see anything wrong with what anyone charges as long as I'm not FORCED to buy whatever it is.

Companies aren't in the business to sell rocket kits and supplies to be nice to us. Anyone reading this right now want to take a pay cut just to be nice to your business' customers?

Go Apogee! Go Estes! Go Fliskits! Go Dr. Zooch! Good luck to everyone that wants to compete for our dollars. :grin:

I feel the country has always been a free enterprise and nothing has changed. The same methods that were used years ago to compete for one's business is still practiced today. It's a common economics supply and demand..whatever the market will bear. It stands to reason that you would increase the sales volume by offering incentives to buy. That's just common sense.

While I get what you are saying, that analogy doesn't work. The "sit-down" burger is a superior product to the street vendor burger. They are apples to oranges. If you are talking about...say a CTI motor casing.....it is a product that is identical everywhere. So there has to be a reason to pay more or less for it at different vendors.

I've had some pretty great food from pushcarts and some pretty lousy restaurant meals. What I meant was that the very same burger costs more at a restaurant, but you can sit down and have someone wait on you. Or you can save a few $ and grab it from the street vendor and eat while you walk. I've happily done both at different times.

Yes, the CTI case is the same everywhere, but with Apogee I can order a Madcow kit, a bunch of bulkheads, some Kevlar cord, a few AT and CTI reloads, and some electronics, all in ONE order, and I feel sure the whole order won't be held up because one item is out of stock and the website wasn't updated. Yes, I pay more for that convenience, but sometimes it's worth it. And it might not be very much more than paying 2-3 shipping charges from cheaper vendors. That being said, if I just need a bunch of Kevlar, I'll order from the eBay guy with the crazy low prices.

As a friend who makes custom furniture said to me: the three components of any service are quality, price, and schedule. The customer gets to pick two.

This just makes so much sence.

I find this discussion oddly interesting. Apogee has some great products, but I've only ordered from them once; when I purchased their Saturn 1b. Paying over MSRP is just not something that I'm generally willing to do. MSRP seems reasonable in some cases. More than that, and I balk. But I could see circumstances when I would consider it.

Things went downhill after my purchase when I filled out the survey, however. EssentiaLy, I stated in the survey that I would like to spend more of my $5k per year rocket budget at Apogee but the margins were making it difficult for me. I wasn't complaining, mind you, just stating that I would buy more if there were some incitives.

TVM personally responded to my survey with a message that I took to mean that I wasn't the type of customer he was marketing to anyway. I found the reply to be rather insulting, considering that I had taken the time to fill out the survey and wasn't asking for anything in return. It just left a bad taste in my mouth, and has probably prevented me from placing a couple of orders that I would have placed had he not responded to me at all.

I will probably order again from them at some point...they do have some unique offerings, loads of information, and good service. I just think it would behoove all vendors to remember that hobbyists are spending discretionary dollars because spending the money makes us feel good. If the vendor is going to do or say something that robs us of that little nirvana, then they need to understand that will likely reduce their sales. On the other hand, those that go out of their way to let us know we are valued customers will profit...even if they charge a reasonable premium for their products.

Cheers,
Michael

I'm in the " if I want it right now" club. Service is good, videos are nice. But what I like is I know what's in stock, and when it's coming. Some of my favorite places are a shot in the dark in that category. And others have started shipping wrong parts frequently. I make many small orders as a build goes on. Seems to irritate some vendors.

The rewards program is pretty decent as well

That's why I always book my seat at the back of the plane. Should the plane go down or skid off the runway, The strongest part of the plane is the tail. Your chances of survival are better than sitting in 1st class. Us poor slobs will fare better than the 1st class snobs.

Plus I've never seen a plane back into a mountain!

Back to the thread, I like Apogee's website and their tutorials and newletter. So I am more likely to be attracted to that site and occasionally buy something while I am there. Also Tim was kind enough to personally respond to some rocketry questions, as has Jim Flis. I am willing to pay a little more (sometimes!) for that service and care.

I find this discussion oddly interesting. Apogee has some great products, but I've only ordered from them once; when I purchased their Saturn 1b. Paying over MSRP is just not something that I'm generally willing to do. MSRP seems reasonable in some cases. More than that, and I balk. But I could see circumstances when I would consider it.

Things went downhill after my purchase when I filled out the survey, however. EssentiaLy, I stated in the survey that I would like to spend more of my $5k per year rocket budget at Apogee but the margins were making it difficult for me. I wasn't complaining, mind you, just stating that I would buy more if there were some incitives.

TVM personally responded to my survey with a message that I took to mean that I wasn't the type of customer he was marketing to anyway. I found the reply to be rather insulting, considering that I had taken the time to fill out the survey and wasn't asking for anything in return. It just left a bad taste in my mouth, and has probably prevented me from placing a couple of orders that I would have placed had he not responded to me at all.

I will probably order again from them at some point...they do have some unique offerings, loads of information, and good service. I just think it would behoove all vendors to remember that hobbyists are spending discretionary dollars because spending the money makes us feel good. If the vendor is going to do or say something that robs us of that little nirvana, then they need to understand that will likely reduce their sales. On the other hand, those that go out of their way to let us know we are valued customers will profit...even if they charge a reasonable premium for their products.

Cheers,
Michael

Overall experience with Apogee has been great as far as customer service, but there was a few times I had experienced something similar with TVM remarks to certain questions. Maybe it's one of those things if you catch him in a good mood...I guess we are all subject to bad days from time to time.

+1... EXTREMELY well said Mushtang!!! Agree completely...

Ya know, back in 98 or thereabouts, I went to the National Farm Toy Show in Dyersville, Iowa... I wanted to get a 1/8 scale cast metal Farmall Super M tractor model. Nobody had one... Well, they're manufactured right in Dyersville (home to Ertl Toys, the biggest cast metal toy company in the world AFAIK) at Spec-Cast... So I went over there to the factory store to see if I could get one... well, time was running late and it was nearly 4pm, and I was going back halfway across the state to my girlfriend's home the next day and wouldn't have the opportunity to return. I went to the HQ offices of Spec-Cast and found everything dark, with just a little old man locking up. I asked about it and he told me that they were closing up for the day, but he'd do what he could to help me and asked what I needed. I told him, and he said, "Well, they might have one over at the company store-- lets go check". He got in his 15 year old Ford van and I followed him up the street to the company store and he unlocked the door-- we went in and looked around, and no joy-- "Wait a sec" he said... "they might have one inside the factory-- they pull some off the line periodically for quality checks-- I'll sell you one of those if you don't mind it not being in the box..." (toy collectors often want the toy in the factory box, as it's more collectible that way-- I didn't care about the box so I enthusiastically said "SURE!")

We went into the factory and went upstairs, and after a bit of searching about, sure enough we found one... we then went back to the office and I came up with the $100 or thereabouts for the model, and thanked him profusely for his efforts, which were truly "above and beyond" for an employee at quitting time trying to lock up and go home... I introduced myself and stuck my hand out to shake hands-- he took it and shook it and said, "Hi, I'm Joe Ertl III..."

I was flabbergasted... Here's the OWNER of the plants-- several companies that are world renowned manufacturers of cast-metal farm toys stretching back many decades... I asked him to sign the model, which he did, with a magic marker... as he did, I explained that a year or two back we bought a brand new Ford 5610S tractor for the farm-- paid $10,000 cash for it... and we didn't get service that good on that sale, yet here is a $100 toy sale and I was getting much better service." "Well" he said, "my Dad built this business on service-- we take care of the customers, and they take care of us."

Well said...

It's really a matter of priorities and experiences as to whether we value and how much we value the customer service of various retailers or vendors, when we consider that according to the prices asked on identical items from various vendors...

Later! OL JR :)

Cheers,
Michael

I've seen the same thing, and TVM is sometimes his own worst enemy in this regard... there IS such a thing as being TOO honest, or at least TOO VOCAL about it. He's published several articles in "Peak of Flight" to this effect, saying much the same thing. I mean, it's a free country, and it's his right to say what he wants, BUT, it seems foolish to me to do and say stuff that will hurt sales...

I chalk part of it up to TVM's self-described title as "Mr. Rocket" or "Dr. Rocket" or whatever... he's a very bright guy, no question about that-- he worked on Delta II rockets for a big aerospace company-- you don't get to do that without being smart... BUT...

"Math-brained" science-type smart guys are rarely well versed in what to say and how to say it to "make friends and influence people", unlike "language-brained" folks who are more socially skilled than technically skilled (usually, anyway, trying not to overgeneralize). That's why "rocket guys" are usually nerds and "socially awkward" so to speak... different skillsets and mindsets...

When I read stuff like this that TVM has written or said to people, it makes me cringe... because it's simply going to turn people off and hurt his sales... and I REALLY want TVM and all our other vendors to succeed-- the more vendors we have, the more competitive products we'll have, the more competition and diversity we'll have in products and services available to the rocketry community, the better off we ALL are...

I "get it"... TVM is focusing his business on "those who see value in his *superior* (open to interpretation, though it is good no doubt, but better/best is still in question IMHO) customer service" and "not wasting time on those who don't see the value in the additional cost for *his* level of customer service". I think that the last half of that sentence would simply remain better unsaid. Writing a letter to a customer or publishing a newsletter saying "you're not the kind of customer I'm looking for" just seems crass and insulting, and ultimately pointless... how many customers and how many dollars has he lost because of this attitude, and being so BRAZEN about it?? I mean, sure, anybody dealing with the public has certain times when they cringe at seeing "those people" (whomever they might be, of whatever type or kind, that you KNOW you're going to have a hard time dealing with for whatever reason and would just as soon see go somewhere else rather than have to be bothered by them) coming in the door to buy something... I've experienced the same thing myself when I was running my custom hay baling business, and yeah, there were some folks who had a LOUSY reputation of not paying for baling after the job was done that I simply *REFUSED* to bale for and let them go pound sand... I didn't see the point in even bothering to work for them and taking the chance on not getting paid... as is MY right... but I didn't ADVERTISE that fact to them or anybody else... I simply begged off working for them as being "too busy" right now or whatever and simply never called them back...
I had guys try to chew me down on price, but I already had a price point lower than my competitors and inline with MY costs and a reasonable profit... if they didn't like that, they were perfectly free to go somewhere else and do something else... and I told them that-- and I had more than one come back a few days later hat in hand hiring me to do the job anyway once they found that out...

I just think that the first "rule" of good customer service is "don't needlessly p!ss off customers or potential customers"... think what you like, and run your business as you like, but don't *ever* tell a customer "you're not the kind of customer I'm looking for"... If you have legal money, you *SHOULD* be the kind of customer ANY business is looking for! If you have a customer that makes irrational demands or claims things are damaged or bad or whatever trying to get freebies or discounts or favors or whatever, yeah, you do what makes sense to do, try to make it "right" without taking a bath on it, and if the customer is PO'd, OH WELL... there's always *some* people that you can NEVER make happy no matter WHAT you do! Fact of life! Just move on and if they order again, good, if not, OH WELL... no big loss...

But going around writing letters to customers and publishing articles stating you DON'T want *some peoples* business just seems very foolhardy to me... "leaving a bad taste in a person's mouth" in a public way DOES affect other customers or POTENTIAL customers, because it leaves them wondering "am *I* next in line for this sort of treatment??"...

Sort of like my experience when TVM wrote me regarding RS8 issues I was having "that's why you should have bought a Mac"... It was insulting and COMPLETELY unhelpful, and even if he WAS thinking it, it should have remained "unsaid".... that was a BIG reason why I saw NO value in spending MORE money with him to upgrade to RS9... I found myself thinking as I read his response, "NO, why didn't YOU tell me that your product is full of bugs and UNRELIABLE on a Windows-based PC, and therefore if you buy it, you're taking your chances..." See, that sword cuts BOTH WAYS...

Meh, it's a free country, and TVM is free to run off his mouth AND his customers or potential customers as he sees fit... BUT, there are VERY VERY FEW businesses that can survive and thrive catering to a 'select few' customers in an already terribly small niche market... and from what I've seen, basically unless you're ordering from him quite frequently and is one of his "best customers", TVM doesn't particularly care about you, and if you disagree with him you're "not the kind of customer he's looking for"... So be it...

I'll buy from Tim, but it's got to be something I can't get elsewhere at all, or can't get cheaper elsewhere... IMHO his "customer service" certainly is not the BEST in rocketry (which personally I'd say Semroc has them beat hands down) although it is good, certainly better than many and probably IMHO about 'on par' with most vendors in rocketry...

Let the people decide and vote with their dollars... Later! OL JR :)

Last edited:
'run your business as you like, but don't *ever* tell a customer "you're not the kind of customer I'm looking for"'
This is what luke strawwalker says.

I fully agree. This is what the website of said business says,

"You're Not A Grab and Dash Type Of Person, Are You?
Now it is possible that you can use the information found on our web site, and shop at a discount dealer. You'd save some money, that is for sure. But to me, that is like going to a nice restaurant that has a cool atmosphere, getting an excellent meal with outstanding service; and then stiffing the waiter out of the tip and leaving without paying for the enjoyment you've received.
I don't think you are that type of person. That kind of person doesn't read these long pages of text. They are only looking out for themselves, and reading this would be a waste of their time. But if you are the kind of individual that has to take advantage of someone to get ahead in life, then you're not the type of person we want to do business with. Please go away now, and never come back."

https://www.apogeerockets.com/index.php?main_page=about_us&zenid=kla6mqoqv7c19i94g5oisbnnt1

Seems to me like what luke was saying!
Hey, it's a free place! I've bought a fair bit of stuff from them and will probably buy more stuff from them.
I don't have my own business but where I work, if I say something like that to a customer, I'm out of a job!
-Ken's 2 pennies

I will agree with you guys on this one: there are "unprofitable customers" that every business has to deal with to some extent, and many find ways to "fire" these customers. But I've never heard anyone recommend that you announce this to all your customers ahead of time...it comes across badly.

I think Luke may be right that Tim's a little heavy-handed in this area, and that he's approaching customer relations more as an engineer than as a salesman.

I know that my story will not be typical. I live about 140 miles north of Apogee Rockets, so I do not just jump in my car and go get what I want. I have been extremely pleased with customer service. I have ordered parts on Friday afternoon and had them on my doorstep the next morning. That is great customer service!. I have run shipping and receiving departments for aerospace machine shops and for helicopter shops. If the part does not get to the customer undamaged, then someone is going to pay for it and it is not the customer. It costs money to have someone pack a package correctly so that the components are destroyed or made unusable. If you want good customer service, then it gets to the customer in a timely manner and in usable form. Apogee does this.

I also try to put myself in the other guys shoes and I know that Tim wears a lot of different hats. I will bet money that some days his skin is thinner than on other days. He is an engineer, learning about marketing, business, cash flow, etc.; all disciplines that were probably not taught at the aerospace university, but are always taught at the school of hard knocks and class is always in session. When I have talked with Tim, he has been extremely focused. ( Much like Adrian with Featherweight Altimeters) So I imagine that when I am talking with him and he does not come off as eloquent as I might like, I have to remember that he is an engineer and some engineers do not communicate as well as they could. I do not know if this is applicable or not, but that is the way I see it, and I want to help keep him in business, and help pay for his daughter's education and keep his family going, because there are not that many of us rocketry customers and he is providing a valuable service to me.

I don't understand the purpose of posting complaints like this.

I do.

When you book an airplane ticket you can fly coach or you can fly first class. Either way you end up at the same destination. But if you're sitting in first class stretching out your legs and sipping champagne you can't complain that your seat cost more than the poor slobs back in economy.

That's why I always book my seat at the back of the plane. Should the plane go down or skid off the runway, The strongest part of the plane is the tail. Your chances of survival are better than sitting in 1st class. Us poor slobs will fare better than the 1st class snobs.

On a side note, statistacally it is safer in a crash in the back end of an aircraft--not so much because it's stronger--although behind you there are some carry through structures--most of the impact is absorbed by the front half of the aircraft--the center section is normally over the tanks--that can't be good! and the tail/rear section may break away and tumble away from the carnage. Like I said, statistically your safer in a crash in the back end , more from what goes on during the crash than the back end being stronger-

Something else to consider is the amount of time and effort that Tim puts into educational materials. That doesn't come for free, yet he gives it away.

-Kevin

+1

This is why I point novices in the direction of his web site, tell them to watch the vids and read the news letters. It would be hard to put a price tag on all the information available on his web site.

Scott

I like Tim but I too have been subject to some rather rude emails from him in the past. He's a smart guy but I think it would be in his interest to hire a separate marketing guy. Sometimes the book-smarts aspect of marketing can get cancelled out pretty quickly if the owner comes across as rude to his customers. I think that one article he had about some customers being useless really came across as rather crass. I found some information on his site that appeared to have been historical when he first produced his Saturn V kit. He basically was running late with the kit and told his customers that if they called him to check on the release date that he'd put them at the back of the line to receive their kit. Again, I like interacting with him personally, but he can be his own worst enemy at times.

That being said, I sure wish he'd modify his shipping policies. USPS flat rate shipping is great for small items and gives the vendor and the purchaser some consistency on shipping costs. I've been nailed before when ordering small things from him where the shipping costs were much higher than reasonable and for which his response was a rather careless one. This is especially considering that BMS and Semroc are extremely reasonable with their fees, so Apogee's fees seem so much more out of line.

He has a fantastic selection of products and I'll pay more for being able to shop all at one vendor and I really appreciate his educational resources. So I order from him every so often, but still have to keep an eye on his pricing. If his pricing is high by 20% and I get hit with high shipping charges then the overall cost can be far more than what it's worth.

So for me it's all a matter of balance. I give him business because I appreciate his educational and informational website but still have to make sure I'm not getting slammed too hard on the overall pricing, and I've managed to ignore the times when I've felt rather slighted by some of his responses to me.

Last edited:
I've ordered from them, have had wonderful service, the prices are a bit higher but in a way it's okay, because what has been mentioned about the wide selection and for me, the best part, is the tech material Tim shares for free. I download and print every Peak Of Flight because there is ALWAYS something I can walk away with that is useful, just as I do with this forum. And as also mentioned, I pass Tim's page onto others for his tech material. Overall, I haven't ran into a stinker of company in this hobby. They've all been good folks always willing to help. Makes me keep coming back.

Tim's educational materials are especially excellent for TARC teams. I've referred a TARC team that I'm mentoring to Apogee and they've bought quite a few things.

One of the reasons I ordered parts from LOC is that they arrive PDQ. Barry answers the phone when I call, too.

If I want something yesterday, I order from Semroc.

Pretty direct to say, especially last line

'run your business as you like, but don't *ever* tell a customer "you're not the kind of customer I'm looking for"'

Now it is possible that you can use the information found on our web site, and shop at a discount dealer. You'd save some money, that is for sure. But to me, that is like going to a nice restaurant that has a cool atmosphere, getting an excellent meal with outstanding service; and then stiffing the waiter out of the tip and leaving without paying for the enjoyment you've received.
I don't think you are that type of person. That kind of person doesn't read these long pages of text. They are only looking out for themselves, and reading this would be a waste of their time. But if you are the kind of individual that has to take advantage of someone to get ahead in life, then you're not the type of person we want to do business with. Please go away now, and never come back."

https://www.apogeerockets.com/index.php?main_page=about_us&zenid=kla6mqoqv7c19i94g5oisbnnt1

Hey, it's a free place! I've bought a fair bit of stuff from them and will probably buy more stuff from them.
I don't have my own business but where I work, if I say something like that to a customer, I'm out of a job!
-Ken's 2 pennies

I like Tim and am amazed at those words on his website. It's especially ironic because NAR promotes Rocksim through the TARC program at no charge and exposes thousands of kids to his software. So the concept of "grab and dash" could easily be applied to his business with respect to receiving huge benefits from NAR and not really supporting NAR in return.

Hundreds of TARC mentors also provide what amounts to free software support for Rocksim for their TARC teams and that saves Tim a lot of money. If he had to answer phone calls from all those TARC teams because the mentors refuse to help then he just might appreciate what is being done on behalf of his company and not be so critical of others.

Last edited:
I don't mind a direct business owner. He's after a specific market. That's not everyone, and he's at least up front enough to not feed you a line of BS. Sure there's a bunch of stuff I get there, but Ill never buy motors from him. I'm not going to bother complaining. He's not setup for guys buying crates of propellant. I'd rather have someone tell me to go elsewhere, than give me a song and dance.

AFAIK the ratio is 1 point per dollar, and every 10 points is one dollar off something you can buy (10% off). And from what I could tell from his site, everything is marked up ~10%. So if you're just buying one item from him every year, you are spending extra, but if you're buying from him consistently then you do get break-even prices.

I did my level 1 cert special with him, as they had it on a shipment the next day, and an e-mail verifying it was on its way. When ordering motors online I value knowledge of shipment very highly.

I like Tim and am amazed at those words on his website. It's especially ironic because NAR promotes Rocksim through the TARC program at no charge and exposes thousands of kids to his software. So the concept of "grab and dash" could easily be applied to his business with respect to receiving huge benefits from NAR and not really supporting NAR in return.

To be fair, the amount of educational material and club support materials ans resources Tim provides free on his site is some pretty substantial support for the hobby and NAR.

To be fair, the amount of educational material and club support materials ans resources Tim provides free on his site is some pretty substantial support for the hobby and NAR.

OK this is true for sure. He has a well laid out and manged website. Very valuable information. I think if he is concerned about people using his information and not purchasing items from his site he should have a rewards programs and provide discounts to people who join. Lets say for $10-15 a year you have access to all the information on his site. Or he could have it set up to where there are (3) types of memberships Bronze, Silver and Gold, but each one higher up offers bigger discounts and access to more resources depending on how much you spend each year.. So then he wouldn't have to concern himself with people accessing his site...reading his information and then not buying anything.

I honestly feel that his statement does more damage than good and sends negative message to those in the rocket community. At work and also in our personal life we deal with people that we don't want too everyday it seems, why should his site be any different? You will always have people like that in business and how you handle them is very important. Every person is a possible sale and could be a long term customer if treated with kindness and respect. TVM is not a PR person and should really hire someone who is. On another note I do like his reward program he has now even if it's only 10%.

Last edited:

-Ken's 2 pennies

Thanks... my point exactly...

This sorta strikes me like a "Free Samples" guy in the mall or grocery store-- sure, they're giving out free samples, and HOPE to make a sale... BUT, if they're ONLY giving out free samples with the EXPECTATION of making a sale, in fact with the IMPLIED OBLIGATION that you BUY a box of the product from them after getting a bit of it on the end of a toothpick or a tiny ketchup cup of it, that is IMHO WRONG.

How many advertisers on TV have to couch their advertisements with "there's no obligation"... I constantly see life insurance or senior healthcare policies with the proviso "call us for your free information kit-- there's NO OBLIGATION..." Even the sleepnumber bed advertises this way... "Send for your free DVD about the product-- there's NO OBLIGATION... we'll send you a bed for 30 nights-- if it's not the best rest you've ever had, we'll take it back-- you just pay the shipping..."

BUT, compare that to what TVM has up posted on this snip posted above-- comparing someone using the FREE part of his website, the educational and "how to" video part or newsletter part, and then SHOPPING AROUND for a better price than he's offering, as some kind of outlaw doing a "dine and dash"... that's just WRONG IMHO... Yes, his information and stuff is valuable-- but if you're going to put it out there for free, you have NO REASONABLE EXPECTATION of being "rewarded" for that, beyond fostering greater interest and knowledge amongst the rocketry community and perhaps cultivating some new customers by getting them interested in rocketry and therefore hopefully selling them some kits, motors, and materials... but to IMPLY that if they don't "stick around" and buy EVERYTHING from you (at exhorbitant markups/shipping) is "disloyal" or "dishonest" and amounts to theft, (which "dine and dash" is) is just creating an IMPLIED OBLIGATION out there and IMHO really refutes everything he's "supposedly" trying to accomplish, or at least his "stated reasons" for putting the information out there in the first place... IOW, he's not NEARLY as philanthropic as he supposes himself to be. (If the main reason he's putting the information out there is with the expectation of be rewarded with a lot of business and therefore income/profit, then he's NOT doing it "solely from the goodness of his heart and concern for the expansion and greater knowledge of model rocketry as a resource for teachers and others to instruct new people as an introduction to model rocketry", is he??)

IF he "expects" or "demands" being rewarded with business for his "investment" in educational resources on his site, via his newsletter, videos, etc., then he SHOULD put them in a "club area" which requires an up-front fee to view-- nasaspaceflight.com does this-- it's called their L2 section-- you pay like $30 a month to view restricted content, usually studies published "hot off the press" from various aerospace and NASA contractors and NASA centers and study groups themselves, documents relating to test results and procedures and outlining design changes and proposals for current space projects... IOW, "inside stuff" while it's still "hot"... and you also implicitly (or explicitly) agree NOT to repost that stuff or discuss the details of it so long as it remains on L2... (until the site owner decides to put it in the "public" area...) Some discussion of L2 content is allowed, but only in a 'general' sense and lacking fine details or reposts of the documentation or graphics themselves...

It's sad... I find the statements that were reposted here, evidently "cut-n-pasted" from TVM's website to be VERY crass and in POOR TASTE. That's why I'm ambivalent about Apogee, and don't go out of my way NOT to buy from them, but certainly don't feel any OBLIGATION TO buy from them... In fact I don't frequent their site much at all... Personally I don't like some of Apogee's sales tactics such as some of the "buy this and you'll be the coolest, smartest rocketeer at the range-- everybody will be gathering around you, ooh'ing and ahh'ing and clapping you on the back, telling you how smart and cool you are, and what a great rocketeer you are". To me that sort of thing makes me cringe-- it's pandering, pure and simple.

Yeah, I get it... it's advertising, and it's an advertising tool or tactic, just like "sex sells" and all of that... (and yes as a teenager I DID thoroughly enjoy the North Coast Rocketry catalogs with well-dressed hotties in tight dresses or tight skirts and sweaters arching their backs while posing with large rockets... or even with Sheri straddling a Saturn IB while sitting on the couch... or the good looking Boostervision girl they used to have up on the site... but honestly that just seems less "pandering" to me than the frequent statements of the type on TVM's website, which you can see in the statement cut-n-pasted above about "you're not THAT kind of person, are you... I know you aren't, or you wouldn't be reading this... and if you are, you're not the kind of customer we're looking for-- please leave and never come back..." type of stuff...

Like I said, it's a free country... TVM and Apogee can do what they like, but it doesn't mean I have to support it or endorse it... Personally, a bit of friendly advice worth what they paid for it, ditch that sort of thing--

You attract more flies with honey than with vinegar...

Later! OL JR :)

Back