Road Rage

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do like it when I end up getting a variety of things that would normally take visiting 2-3 diff. stores. I don't like it when I discover a product, buy it and enjoy it once or twice, and then they discontinue it.

I used to sometimes shop at a nice big grocery store with a great selection, until I realized that once you eliminated what I couldn't afford, they had less than a small store or Walmart. Altough at least it wasn't Food Lion's on sale=out of.

Sorry, but I can't afford to pay 1/3 more for the SAME THING just to support the local guy...

About 10 years I need a 12" abrasive blade. I was at the local hardware store so I figured I would buy it there instead of spend time and money going elsewhere. It was $15 at the hardware store and $5 at Home Depot. Guess where I bought it? I can't justify three times the cost just to keep the hardware store in business.

That's easy - it's the same phenomenon that made people (not just Wal-Mart shoppers, but a surprising amount of people elsewhere) think it was a good idea to detach the phone from their ear, hold it in front of their face, and talk on speakerphone.

I like looking at Wal-Mart as a store of contrasts - most notably the difference between the Sam Walton days and the modern era. I remember not that long ago Wal-Marts were clean, well-stocked, and had plenty of cashiers (lines over three people long were pretty rare where I shopped in the late '90s, and this was NOT at a small or low-traffic store.) More recently my experiences are similar to everyone else here - they don't look as clean, they're frequently out of what I want (and I"m not looking for anything that special), and checkout lines are so long I feel like it would be quicker to drive to target and buy what I need there. There's also a feel of cheapness to it - I can't really describe it any other way - that just makes me *feel* like I'd get higher-quality things in Target or somewhere else.

Something I find particularly interesting about wal-mart recently is how much it is like K-mart in the years leading up to the bankruptcy - Back then, K-marts felt 'cheap,' checkout lines were really long, and the stores certainly didn't look like they were cleaned regularly. It'll be interesting to see what happens to wal-mart in the next decade or so, given the increasing numbers of people (who can afford the choice) that shop elsewhere, and the fact that they seem to be making many of the same big mistakes that K-mart did.

This is EXACTLY RIGHT!!! We haven't had a K-Mart in our part of the world in SO long I nearly forgot... When I was growing up in the 70's, we had a K-Mart in Rosenberg, 15 miles away... it was the first "chain store" we had around in the area, and of course we did a LOT of shopping there. Walmart came in a few years later, but 40 miles away... Still my mom did a lot of shopping there...

Of course a few years later, Walmarts started popping up everywhere, including Rosenberg. Then the "super" stores started coming about, and the old K-Mart was looking terribly dated, so they built a new "super K-mart" out by the freeway, and pretty soon the Walmart started looking terribly dated... within a few years, they built a new SuperCenter on the other side of town from the Super-K and the competition was on...

We shopped at K-Mart quite a bit, because they were closest to us-- no need in fighting traffic all the way across town just to go to Walmart, which had the same stuff at the same price... but K-mart started going to pot... it was dirty, crowded, the lines were ALWAYS long, NEVER more than three checkers except right around Christmastime, poorly stocked, the store was hot and poorly air-conditioned... the sporting goods, electronics, and automotive sections were left unmanned and required you wait for 30 minutes or more for them to call someone and for them to finally show up to 'unlock the case' or otherwise get whatever it is you needed. Their shop went to pot-- you'd have to wait half the day to get a tire installed, etc... Sometimes I'd go looking for cheap work jeans or whatever... they wouldn't have ANYTHING because they quit stocking anything over about a 38 inch waist... (This is Texas-- I wore a 38 inch jeans in FIFTH GRADE!) It was rediculous and just not worth bothering with... we didn't even bother going to K-Mart for the last 2-3 years before they went toe-up... not worth wasting time to go there...

They went broke... all over Houston and SE/SW Texas... heck all over Texas for that matter... last K-mart in our region of the ENTIRE STATE was in Lufkin, nearly 200 miles away. I went in there one time several years ago going to a family reunion, and it was REDICULOUS... the place was filthy, dumpy, stuff everywhere in total disarray, and just looked like a Turkish dump more than a store... it was PATHETIC... I understand now that basically all the K-marts are gone... there might be some left in the far corners of the state (from here) but there's none within several hundred miles... although perplexingly they still ADVERTISE sometimes on our TV or radio... advertise stores that don't exist...

And, you're absolutely right-- Walmart is doing EXACTLY the same thing that K-Mart did which caused them to go toe-up... dirty, understaffed, understocked, and otherwise just a mess... I think they're reasoning is, "the competition is gone, therefore we can do whatever we want and people will just have to put up with it"... wrong... I find myself more and more going to the mom-n-pop hardware stores that remain (among other types of stores) to get stuff I need that I KNOW W/M, Lowes, and HD won't have... or to simply not have to deal with the level of BS going on in the big chain store... sometimes it's well worth paying an extra buck or two to get what you need and get out, without having to stand in line behind 50 other people trying to check out, or waiting 30 minutes for someone to show up and unlock the case to get whatever you need... it's rediculous...

I think these chain stores have gotten a little TOO BIG for their britches...

Later! OL JR :)

I really like the self checkouts if I have just a few items and the other checkouts are packed. I was buying a sandwich and a water the other evening right at the height of rush hour. The store was packed but I just cruised right in got what I wanted and cruised right out. Self checkout is great.

Jeff

About 10 years I need a 12" abrasive blade. I was at the local hardware store so I figured I would buy it there instead of spend time and money going elsewhere. It was $15 at the hardware store and $5 at Home Depot. Guess where I bought it? I can't justify three times the cost just to keep the hardware store in business.

Exactly...

I buy where it makes the most sense to buy...

Course Walmart hasn't done themselves any favors either... by refusing to stock stuff that isn't "fast movers" in favor of stuff that is (but which I don't necessarily need or want) they drive sales elsewhere.

Tires for instance... I was buying exclusively the 80,000 mile Continental tires to put on my farm truck... they were about $88 bucks and worth every penny-- they'd make every mile of that 80,000 miles, too... usually they'd play out between 80,000 and 90,000 miles... either the tread would be slick, or the sidewall would get a bulge... I only had 2 out of maybe 10 that I bought that had a sidewall knot or other defect come up before they needed replacement-- I think one of those was something I hit in the road IIRC... been awhile back. WM replaced them both with pro-rated new ones.

BUT, then WM quit selling them. All they have now are Goodrich and Goodyear and some other stuff... the stupid Goodyears are only warrantied to 30,000 or 40,000 miles... and they're shot in like half that time... I've NEVER had a Goodyear tire that was worth a darn... my 91 Ford pickup came with Goodyear Wranglers and they must've been made out of old pencil eraser rubber-- they tires were WORN SLICK from regular driving BEFORE I hit 20,000 miles! I mean you could LITERALLY read a newspaper through the tread they were SO worn out! Pure junk. I'd put a secondhand Nippon Sh!t-Zhu tire on my vehicle before I WASTED money and time buying a friggin' Goodyear tire...

I had my last Continentals on the truck last year... the driver's side one was about 6-8 months older than the passenger one, and got a knot on it. Since Walmart now only sells garbage tires and wants $90 bucks for the cheapest one, I put the factory new full-size spare on the rim and put a used tire on the spare-- might as well wear it out before the dry-rotting gets it. The passenger front was just about worn out and gave it up about this time last year, or maybe a little earlier... I went to a local mexican tire shop and bought a new Michelin for $55... out of date, probably, but the price was right... mounting and balancing included. I put 35,000 to 40,000 miles a year on my truck going between farms, and the tire is just about worn out. I got my money's worth...

Had a friend of the family sell off a bunch of tires he had in the shop when he got divorced... (he works for a tire company running a service truck, and bought a bunch of tires at cost or something). So I'm pretty well set for tires for awhile... BUT when I *DO* need to buy another tire, if Walmart thinks they're going to push off whatever JUNK brand they're carrying at the time off on me for big bucks, they can think again... I'll go get it elsewhere...

Later! OL JR :)

The quality of Walmart stores can vary widely from one to the other. One store about 15 miles from me was renovated at about the same time as the local store. The local store looks really good while the store 15 miles away looks like it is totally trashed already. The parking lot and entryway are dirty and worn looking. The store is definitely in a rougher neighborhood, but that really shouldn't be an excuse not to clean and make repairs.

I think Walmart is a long way from ending up like Kmart. The Walmart stores I have been in are in much better condition than any Kmart I have been in recently. Walmart still has plenty of customers and they are far and away the largest retailer in the USA. I was not surprised the local Kmart closed last year. The store never had more than about 20 cars in the lot when I drove by. The couple of times I went in there the prices were sky high and the place was totally falling apart. Pop was $5.19 for a 12 pack in like 2009 when nobody else charged that much.

Here in our area the WM's have gone through a remodeling, several years ago, before the remodeling, you could go to WM and find just about any thing you could imagine, after the remodeling, at least half of their stock was cut. K-Mart was the same untill, as previously stated, they became run down. There is still one close to me but their stock is a joke.

The other thing about WM is the clientel...perfect example..

[YOUTUBE]ghrDIQ-K8mg[/YOUTUBE]

That's easy - it's the same phenomenon that made people (not just Wal-Mart shoppers, but a surprising amount of people elsewhere) think it was a good idea to detach the phone from their ear, hold it in front of their face, and talk on speakerphone.

I dont know why, but it seems like those people are the people who also think that yelling into a phone improves its reception...

:lol:

If the Olympics ever create an event called the 100 yard slow wandering meander the U.S. will take Gold, Silver and Bronze.

I usually get gas at WM with a reloaded gas card as it's a 3 cents off per gallon--10 cents off around Thanksgiving. Hate it when they close self checkout lanes at 9 PM. I don't want to wait in line 20 minutes to buy one item. Once was raced to a parking lot exit by dome moron in a pickup.
Haven't been in a Kmart in almost ten years, since they shut down ammo sales.

Last edited:
I find very little to buy at WalMart anymore. It's a real bi*ch when you can't find anything to buy anymore cause you already have it.

When I was a kid my family were big K-Mart shoppers. That changed to Sears, JC Penny and Target when the quality of K-Mart merchandise plummeted. Haven't been in one in so long I honestly couldn't tell you how many years ago it was if my life depended on it.

Being acquainted with a bunch of Metra employees I've learned that the majority of these are suicides. Unfortunately for the engineers involved, it has a tendency to ruin their lives as well.

Funny you should bring that up. One of my coworkers in Chicago just sent us a message that he will be late today because his train hit a pedestrian. We were just commenting how the gene pool just got a bit cleaner.

Back