Cutting G10

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigone5500

Reaction score
I'm about to try to cut some G10 fins. How harsh is this stuff on a scroll saw blade? I don't want to use the saw if it will damage the blade quickly. I would rather use a method that would require less blades to get done.

Carbide is far superior for G10. The glass fibers are just too abrasive, they chew up steel blades really quickly. Abrasive scroll saw blades are pretty easy to get - they won't cut all that quickly, but they'll last a lot longer than steel.

I use a coping saw to cut small bits of G10. Kills your blade unless you have a very nice carbide blade. For big stuff, I use the jig saw with a carbide fine tooth blade for cutting hard metal! Works great. And don't neglect the dust as Mr. wrxz says!!!
-Ken

You CAN use a jig saw but, you must use a bi-metal blade or you will destroy the wood cutting blades.

JD

Last edited by a moderator:
Bosch fine tooth metal blades are best for composites.

I'm about to try to cut some G10 fins. How harsh is this stuff on a scroll saw blade? I don't want to use the saw if it will damage the blade quickly. I would rather use a method that would require less blades to get done.

I have used metal cutting scroll saw blades but find they wear VERY quickly. G10 is very abrasive. I killed two blades cutting a 4" hole in this 8" bulk plate.

Cutting bulk plate.JPG

Try a carbide-encrusted Perma-Grit blade. It will do the job.

perma-grit-jigsaw-bd.jpg

If doing straight cuts as on fins, I use a high tooth count carbide saw blade in my table saw. It gives a much straighter cut than a scroll saw but makes lots of dust.

610074_front500.jpg

I use my Dremel for freehand trimming, smoothing and cutting G10 with a carbide ceramic tile cutting bit. It is FABULOUS for cutting G10 fiberglass. I cut big holes holes in bulk plates or convert bulk plates to centering rings. I've used this one bit for years and it still cuts very well. It also does not wander in a particular direction which allows precise control of the cut.

Rotozip CarbideTile Bit.jpg

From Lowes:
Carbide bit for cutting cement board, ceramic wall tile, marble, plaster, and stucco
For use with RotoZip Spiral Saw System
5 times stronger and 2 times faster than Zip Bits

For straight plunge cuts or trimming I also use a little-known cutter wheel set made by Perma-Grit in the UK. These tungsten carbide encrusted disks will cut through anything. I use them primarily for enlarging or cutting fin slots in G10 or G12 fiberglass or cutting rings for reinforcing bulk plates from lengths of G10 or G12 tubing.

Cutting Altimeter holes.JPG P1070877 (Small).JPG P1090779 (Small).JPG

Description: "Two pack of tough mild steel Perma-Grit cutting discs (19 & 32mm) with tungsten carbide welded to the edges. The discs will cut carbon fibre, fibreglass and all other composites with easy and will not 'frey' or shatter the edges of your precious material. In addition, these discs will not break or lose their edge, providing years of faithful service! The discs are supplied with a 13mm arbor, locking washer and M3 nut."

Perma-Grit also make tungsten carbide encrusted hacksaw blades, files and sanding blocks which I find indispensable for many rocketry related operations.

I used some cheap metal blades that came with a jigsaw and they did quite well. I think there is some life left in them too. But they did dull some.

Yesterday I had to remove a damaged fin from a foamed fin can. I borrowed and used one of the newer plunge type oscillating tools (like a cast removing tool). Worked like a charm. It went through epoxy fillets and foam like butter. I just cut all the way through the motor mount and will fill with epoxy from the inside after the repair.

I also needed to cut out the replacement fin from some 1/8" G10. I used the circular blade made for wood/non-ferous metals and it cut it like plywood. The blade is like new and it's hard to cut yourself with this tool. Since I recently went on blood thinners for my stent implant I may need to get one of these. The Dr. told me specifically not to run with scissors.

Here's the tool I'm speaking of.
rockwell-rc5100k-shop-series-sonic-tool-oscillating-tool.jpg

Edit: Oh yeah, the dust was minimal!!

Last edited:
I use a table saw with a 200 tooth blade.

Then follow up with some light sanding, works great.

when the cost of a tile saw, did not fit the small cuts i needed to make (in a strait fashion.. i resorted to the jig saw.)
metal blade worked, but, still wore the blade out by the end, was not cutting near as well as when i started... I used hops9 to lubricate the cut, this helped with the dusting.
heres my bevel jig too.
IMG_1047.JPGIMG_1048.JPGIMG_1050.JPGIMG_1052.JPG

JoeG, Very cool to use the vibrating blade. I have this tool but didn't think it would cut G10. I'll have to try it.

And ClayD, I love your bevels. Hard to see how your setup cuts these. Really interested. Perhaps a more in depth description with more photos?

JoeG, Very cool to use the vibrating blade. I have this tool but didn't think it would cut G10. I'll have to try it.

And ClayD, I love your bevels. Hard to see how your setup cuts these. Really interested. Perhaps a more in depth description with more photos?

my oscilating saw or recipricating saw like JoeG has came with a tile cutter blade , you know the carbide dust on it..., i didnt think to use it, but those tools are great.... but annoyingly loud.(like my router loud)

I will get some more pictures, i also use the same jig in a table saw. I can tell that my router bit was not a happy camper by the end. nothing bad happened, but to the trash bin it will go. I bought a 3 pack for 8 dollars at the local "junkt tool store". so no worries.

@ NikeMikey, yeah that saw popped into my head, and if i get to doing more G10 or composite type rockets, it will be a purchase. this case, i knew it would take me 2 hours to go get the saw. i had these cut, and beveled (after mounting the jig and setting its gage) inside 45min. I just tacked my pattern down with the 3m77, and went to town with the metal blade, the burnt wooden one, was just a "how fast will this burn up" test. it made a whopping 3" of cut.

you want something that you can put a lubricant drip on, the dust sucks.....

I use a water-lubed, diamond-bladed bandsaw. They're about $280 on-line and come with a spare blade.

Cuts Fiberglass like butter

I've seen less than stellar reviews on the Precision 2000 (the replacement for the XL). The table is plastic and warps, it leaks, etc. I love the idea of having a bandsaw, but have some concerns about whether a 'hobby' saw will hold up...

Back