First Scratch Build Thor Heavy Lifter Seven Motor Cluster

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SteveA

Reaction score
Sort of after the fact, I've been posting bits and pieces about this project all over TRF for some time, but the past week and a half I started building it in earnest and finished it early this afternoon. The basic form is a conglomeration inspired by the Delta and Ariane vehicles. Based on a BT80 frame with a core of three 24mm motors and four 18mm powered outboards.

The boosters were derived from spare Alphas I used a few years ago for one my rocketry classes. They were the perfect length.
Thor Booster 2.jpg

I added fashion eyelets so that during burn through of the booster motors, the hot gases could jet outside and not over-pressure the tube. And, it might even look cool on an inflight video....
Thor Booster 4.jpg

I used a Sunward cluster assembly and a BT 80 baffle. The baffle was located 5 inches ahead of the motor cluster or, about 14 inches from the bottom of the tube. 300# Kevlar cord was ran through the baffle and to the top of the body tube where it will be connected to an elastic shock cord.
Thor Build 2.jpg

During recovery, the rocket will separate in two halves. As luck would have it, both halves are of equal weight. Each weigh-in at 6.3ozs.
Thor Build 4.jpg

Initially, perhaps the most fiddly part was the installation of the boosters. It took over 45 minutes to adjust the first one where I knew it was straight orientated correctly. Subsequent boosters were given additional alignment markings and it went a whole-lot faster. It took about six hours to add all the boosters and fins.
Thor Build 8.jpgThor Build 10.jpg

The upper half of the rocket had been assembled the day before. The nose cone, transitions and tube couplers came from Balsa Machining and the body tubes from BRS Hobbies. I loved this. I'm hooked. This by far, for me, was the most satisfying experience yet. I love to build kits, but to design one on Rocksim and then to build it...that's something else. I'm doing another one for sure. This is the start of a beautiful relationship.

Thor Build 12.jpgThor Build 15.jpgThor Build 11a.jpg

Assembled Photos will follow.

Attachments

• Thor Build 7.jpg
    Thor Build 7.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 18
And here it is assembled and a shot taken with a key chain cam
Thor Build 16.jpgThor Camera 1.jpg Yeah, I know the date is wrong.

Thanks everyone!

I cannot take any credit for the use of the eyelets, I think it was Plano Doug who told me about them last spring or maybe I read it someplace. Alas, not my idea, but it is a good one.

Now the next trick will be getting all seven of those puppies to light.

Thanks again guys!

Steve

Thanks everyone!

I cannot take any credit for the use of the eyelets, I think it was Plano Doug who told me about them last spring or maybe I read it someplace. Alas, not my idea, but it is a good one.

Now the next trick will be getting all seven of those puppies to light.

Thanks again guys!

Steve

Super cool rocket! With Quest igniters, a good clip whip and our old 12V club launch system we have lit seven every time, no problem.

What a cool rocket! Estes is going to loveee you :) A whole pack of 24mm motors and 4/3 of a pack of 18mm! Wohoo!

I've been toying with a rocket like this for a while. Looks great!

That's one cool looking rocket!:handshake:
Awsome work you've done there too.

JP

Thanks again, I'm glad everyone likes it. I was really happy how it turned out. If I were to do it over again, I think I would cut the height down a bit and kept it stable. After seeing it built, it seems a little out of proportion.

Of course, now that the hooks are firmly set into me, here is the next evolution. You're witnessing the start of an addiction boys...There's no turning back for me now.:grin:
Single 24mm core and eight 18mm powered outboards....
Sigma I a.jpg
It'll fly on B6-0s, C6-0 and D12-7, E9-8s. Max altitude was about 2500. Now I need to see how many she won't fly on and I think I want to do something with that nose cone. Seems too long.

Of course, now that the hooks are firmly set into me, here is the next evolution. You're witnessing the start of an addiction boys...There's no turning back for me now.:grin:

I'm with ya, brother!

Good video! Wow, that thing spins under chute! Good thing I had the beer after, not before. :wink:
For some reason, I thought these were parasitic (pop-off) external boosters, was waiting for them to seperate.

Congradulations on a great flight and also on a very nice looking rocket ,I do indeed like the design and the boosters.....beauty !!

Cheers

Paul t

Good video! Wow, that thing spins under chute!

Yeah, I think it was the swivels that may have caused such spin and maybe the wind. Kinda like riding the Tilt-a-Whirl without the tilt!:puke:You guys watch the whole video and listen to the conversations between the Cub Scouts? Priceless.

Thanks for the great comments!
Steve

Back