I saw some stars tonight.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dlazarus6660

Reaction score
I saw some stars tonight. Not the Hollywood kind but the stars up in the sky.
I missed not seeing them for over many weeks. I want to see the ISS. The Comet. The Astroid this W/E. I need to see the stars.

I'm glad to hear you're ok, thought you were going to say you hit your head.

Are you OK? Did the Dingo's Eat your BAYBAY?-Looks like the weather is clearing out your way--but coming here--well--already here --RATS !!!

Here you go. Patrick W. took this at XPRS last summer. Look closely and you can see a lot of nebulosity of the milky way. Sagittarius is to the south in the lower center of the image.

120915-2119-09 IMG_4166 Canon EOS 7D.jpg

Last edited:
I love going to a desert multiday launch event and camping out. When the inevitable trip to the porta potty in occurs in the early predawn hours (one of the joys of getting older) the stars and the milky way are just stunning.

Yeah it's quite a sight. To think that there are millions of city dwellers that have never seen the milky way.

Here's another shot of the same part of the sky. I think the skyglow is from Gerlach. I live north of Reno and the southern sky is pretty washed out. Although the sky there is pretty dark, I rarely see the fine details that can be seen from the playa.

The slideshow is available at https://www.wagnerg.com/hobbies/XPRS2012/. My AMRAAM made a few of the shots too :)

120913-2137-13 IMG_0715 Canon EOS 7D.jpg

Back