Looking for a lipo

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derek

Reaction score
I've been searching for for a lipo battery for my gps tracker project for quite a while now, but I still haven't found just the right one. I'm hoping someone out here can help.

My wish list:

1. 1 cell (3.7V), minimum of 300 mah
2. max dimensions of 2" x 1" x 0.5"
3. JST connector
4. Light weight

Bonus: ships from the us.

Seems simple, right?

Here is what I currently use:

20384.jpg

https://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/sto...Lipo_Pack_Fits_Nine_Eagles_Solo_Pro_100_.html

Great price, right size, but crappy connector that I can't find a mate for from digikey, mouser, etc. Cutting off the connector and soldering on a jst is an option, though.

New one I'm testing:

5xSKU037929-1.JPG

https://www.banggood.com/Wholesale-...2_1wh-15c-Lipo-Battery-Eflb5001s-p-47835.html

right connector, great price and capacity, but it is a little long and heavier than I'd like. shipping from hk takes FOREVER!

hobbyking has a few that might fit the bill, but they go in and out of stock quickly and could be difficult for others to obtain. I'd like to find something available locally if possible so people could run to their lhs and get two.

So, anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks!

Perhaps not ideal, but here is one possibility:

300mah, 1.6 X 0.8 X 0.16 (40x20X4) with bare wire ends:

Ebay LiPo

If you mount a right-angle connector to the edge of your board, this would plug right in:

Ebay LiPo 2

Your current battery uses a 2 pin Molex connector. Molex connectors are a defacto standard connector and are available from all electronic supply houses, and they are cheap. Digikey will have them. Hobby King should also have them.

You are replacing a 300 mah battery with at 600 mah battery. The weight of the battery is approximately proportional to the capacity so the battery weight will nominally double. Your original battery is rated at 35 C with peak currents of 70 C. If you're not drawing 10 Amps continuous or 20 Amp pulses, you can use a battery with a lower C rating.

Bob

Perhaps not ideal, but here is one possibility:

300mah, 1.6 X 0.8 X 0.16 (40x20X4) with bare wire ends:

Ebay LiPo

If you mount a right-angle connector to the edge of your board, this would plug right in:

Ebay LiPo 2

I actually have a vertical jst mate on the board, but I'm trying to avoid the right angle connector (a'la raven power perch) approach. It makes the whole assembly rather long and you need to properly support the battery and tracker. You can't just shove it into a tube.

Those other batteries will work fine. I just trying to avoid having people source and solder their own connectors on the batteries.

thanks!

Your current battery uses a 2 pin Molex connector. Molex connectors are a defacto standard connector and are available from all electronic supply houses, and they are cheap. Digikey will have them. Hobby King should also have them.

yeah, it does say molex. care to look on molex's site and find them? I've searched high and low with no success. I haven't tried contacting my molex rep for help, but that may be next.

there you go! I didn't find any dimensions...
The one I linked to is 7.5x19x60mm, so a little longer and skinnier. I like the higher capacity since you get more run time, but that's a packaging tradeoff.

that looks like it. I need to measure the pitch on my batteries. thanks!

I've spent hours trying to find that.

I since found a place that sells the connector with leads crimped on for a reasonable price. that might be the easiest solution.

The one I linked to is 7.5x19x60mm, so a little longer and skinnier. I like the higher capacity since you get more run time, but that's a packaging tradeoff.

I don't think 60mm will fit in the battery compartment of the case I'm using. I'd like to find one battery for both the tx and rx.

yep, they do today. hk is pretty good about replenishing the stock of this battery and it is small, light and cheap which is why it is the battery I am currently using. well, that and I had a bunch sitting on my bench.

I have a bunch of different lipos for all the various rc helis, quad copters, cars etc. I own. The hangup with this battery was the connector. I bought a couple of charger adapters for this battery and hacked the (hopefully identified) molex connector off and soldered it to my tracker. with the discovery of a vendor carrying premade cables, I think I found my battery.

Molex connectors are easy to assemble. Most do not require solder. You simply crimp on the metal male or female pins and then push the pins into the commector. Have make hundreds of them.

Bob

well, now that I have the battery problem solved, I've been having a problem finding a cheap power switch for my tracker rx...

:D

thanks again for the help/detective work!

Latest posts

Back