Newbie Question, How fast is too fast for a HPR?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webtech

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

My question for the day is "How fast is too fast for a cardboard rocket with a plastic nosecone?"

A few days ago I was running openrocket on my Big Nuke and I was curious, How big of a 54mm motor can I put in this rocket?
Questions isn't how big of a 54mm load I can afford, but how big of a motor can a cardboard rocket handle before it shreds in mid air.

I put in the sim a K1440 and a warning came up,
"body calculations may not be entirely accurate at supersonic speeds" :y:

After thinking about how cool it would be to send my 9 pound rocket to 6000ft at Mach 1.31 at top speed, "would it shred?" came to my mind. :confused:

So many my question shouldn't be How fast is too fast, but How fast can you go before it shreds in to many pieces. :clap:

Your thoughts are welcome.. horror story are welcome as well. :pop:

The answer is...."it depends"

Construction makes a significant difference. It also makes a difference if you've reinforced the airframe in any way.

-Kevin

Loc 5.38" tubing can handle an M.
I'd be more concern about fin attachment; thickness, vent hole size, and shear pins.
My 4" x 78" tall 13 lb rocket just missed mach on an EX K 943.
It did 6,200 ft.

JD

The aspire can handle mach on a g77 (supposedly havnt tried my self yet)... and its a 29mm cardboard mindi with plastic nose... so i have to agree with troj... it depends...

An unpainted plastic AeroTech nose cone has been flown on a rocket which exceeded Mach 2.

My Nuke Pro did mach 1.3 with no issues with the plastic nosecone and no fiberglass anything.

Q; My question for the day is "How fast is too fast for a cardboard rocket with a plastic nosecone?"

A: c + 1

Q; My question for the day is "How fast is too fast for a cardboard rocket with a plastic nosecone?"

A: c + 1
Or it teleports back from the future already built on your workbench...next to the kit. Thus destabilizing the World Event Timeline as we know it and from that all of Humanity and our decendents on other planets. A good wormhole can make such a bad day. Instead,a small donation to the World Domination Machine to help convert 97.89% of the known population into rocketeers is better. Or just keep it below c...

Or it teleports back from the future already built on your workbench...next to the kit. Thus destabilizing the World Event Timeline as we know it and from that all of Humanity and our decendents on other planets. A good wormhole can make such a bad day. Instead,a small donation to the World Domination Machine to help convert 97.89% of the known population into rocketeers is better. Or just keep it below c...

You forgot about the Flux Capacitor and the Jedi Mind Meld!

Your Aspire came with a PNC? Not mine...

The aspire can handle mach on a g77 (supposedly havnt tried my self yet)... and its a 29mm cardboard mindi with plastic nose... so i have to agree with troj... it depends...

Back