Paul T`s REDSTONE DONE !!!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sodmeister

Reaction score
OH NO......not another scratch build !

I`ve been itching to get this built for over 3 years ,so now is a good time to get this going.I also like having a few builds going at the same time ,so I can work on this and the Hellfire at the same time......heck.....I have the epoxy and Zona saw out anyway !

This will be a "close to scale" version of the Mercury Redstone based on 4" BlueTube body tube.

I had Gordon "Sandman" spin me a capsule back in Dec.2009.....so this has been a long time comming (too long)

I don`t plan nor is it my intention to get this scale perfect ,but basically a close representation of this great US rocket.

So sorry to Luke,Rick and John Pursley in advance if things are not exact ,and they won`t be ,but I will try to get things close.

Now we build ........

Paul T

imagesCAKVXZ5C.jpg

Mercury-Redstone_3_Launch_MR3-9.jpg

Last edited:
Might as well start at the bottom.

YUP......I`ll do the "handcut" routine again !

Paul T

phpGPfp2xAM.jpg

phpPdS6ikAM.jpg

phpQOsgGUAM.jpg

Paul's "close to scale" is 100x closer than anyone else is capable!...you are the true Master of Scale!
this will be a sweet rocket Paul...GREAT choice for a build!

OH NO......not another scratch build !

I`ve been itching to get this built for over 3 years ,so now is a good time to get this going.I also like having a few builds going at the same time ,so I can work on this and the Hellfire at the same time......heck.....I have the epoxy and Zona saw out anyway !

This will be a "close to scale" version of the Mercury Redstone based on 4" BlueTube body tube.

I had Gordon "Sandman" spin me a capsule back in Dec.2009.....so this has been a long time comming (too long)

I don`t plan nor is it my intention to get this scale perfect ,but basically a close representation of this great US rocket.

So sorry to Luke,Rick and John Pursley in advance if things are not exact ,and they won`t be ,but I will try to get things close.

Now we build ........

Paul T

You did a great job cutting slots with that blue tube.Very strong tubes,can't be easy to hand cut.This will be a great build to follow.

I was working with bluetube on a project (see the Cosmic Cucumber thread in high power) and used a dremel circular saw blade to cut the blue tube. Worked real well.

Ernest and Julio Gallo would sell no wine before it's time. Sodmeister will build no rocket before it's time. Having the custom pieces lay around for years is just part of the pain and suffering one must necessarily endure for true scale perfection. In the end the only thing that really matters is that you have the biggest knife.

I was working with bluetube on a project (see the Cosmic Cucumber thread in high power) and used a dremel circular saw blade to cut the blue tube. Worked real well.

I normally would use any of my 1000s of power tools in my work shop ,router table/carbide spiral bit and one of my numerous jigs and fixtures to cut this stuff.....but I wanted to see if it could be done effectively and in a manner anybody could do with a hobby saw ,and must say ,it really is not hard at all.

And that`s comming from ME.....the Canadian version of Norm Abrams :lol:

Wouldn`t want to cut FG this way !

If I would have used power tools on my Hellfire build ,I would have been finished by now.But using that Zona saw is a great workout for the arms and pecs LOL

After this build however ,I am going back to power tools ,and leave my Ahmish roots behind !

Take care

Paul t

imagesCAAU1GVW.jpg

imagesCAW0DLZY.jpg

You did a great job cutting slots with that blue tube.Very strong tubes,can't be easy to hand cut.This will be a great build to follow.

You`d be surprised how easy it is to cut with that Zona saw and the two fine tooth blades ,very surprised....I was !

Paul T

I made a master main fin template ,and cut four blanks ,using 3/8" thick Baltic Birch.

I`ll run over to the bandsaw and rough cut the blanks ,then to the router table and using a straight cutting pattern bit (the bearing type) nail the master to the blanks (one at a time) and make four exact replicas.

These fins are rather complex ,due to all the angles and the fact that they will be a three piece affair.

Paul t

phpGYNCIjAM.jpg

phpKcXrZzAM.jpg

phpseRm3mAM.jpg

You had to go and do this thread, didn't you Paul? Ever since acquiring my Juno 1, the little voice in my head has been telling me that I need to have a Redstone to go next to it. I had been researching SHR and Polecat kits, but it was just a slight rumbling in the back of my head.

Your timing couldn't have been better...or worse, depending on how you look at it. Now you fill my head with the knowledge that Gordy can hook me up with what I need to do my own version. And not only that, but you are going to spell it out in excruciating detail how a proper modeler will do it. I have a feeling that I am not going to get out of this without acquiring everything I need to build one. I guess that I should take solace that you didn't post another one of the rare and otherwise unobtainable kits from your collection in the For Sale section!

I'll be watching this intently...

Cheers,
Michael

Indeed ,Gordon is my "go to guy" when I need a part that I can`t or do not have time to.

Gords stuff is absolutely beautiful ! We are talking about a custom Gemini Capsule next ,just not sure what size to do it in.....4" - 5.5 " or 6" :confused:

At first I thought this might be a fast and simple build, but as I go forward,I realize this is not the case :facepalm:

So keep watching ,as we might both learn something LOL

Take care Michael !

paul T

Using some 1/4" BB stock, I ran the smaller steering fins blanks on the table saw ,did a little hand sawing and formed the bevels.

As you may notice ,I cut tenons on the fins :wink:

Paul T

phpjTgRkzAM.jpg

phpvSBGOzAM.jpg

phpyFMGUFAM.jpg

I found the Zona 4 'n 1 Razor Saw at www.hobbylinc.com/htm/zon/zon35-140.htm for $7.49

I was wondering what the teeth per inch are on the different sized saws, and is the smallest blade a saw or an awl/reamer? Hobbylinc doesn't give any of these details.

T ,

It`s 52 TPI for the 4 1/2" blade ,32 TPI for the 5 1/2" blade and 23 TPI for the two others.

Paul T

And the third part of the fin assembly.

I hand cut these from 1/16" thick Baltic Birch.They get sandwiched between the main and outer steering/pivoting fins.

NO....I`m not making these pivot LOL

Paul T

phpPJjwM4AM.jpg

phpWJFduQAM.jpg

I will be watching closely. :eyepop: I have a 4" Redstone planned and most of the parts collected. One day, oh yes one day! For now I will watch and learn. I know I'm getting ahead of the build here but do you have a pic of your capsule? I thought about doing a turning, but my paper and tube capsule turned out so good on my BT-80 scale Merc, I may go the same route again. Oh oh and what motor are you planing?

SUBSCRIBED! :pop:

TA

I will be watching closely. :eyepop: I have a 4" Redstone planned and most of the parts collected. One day, oh yes one day! For now I will watch and learn. I know I'm getting ahead of the build here but do you have a pic of your capsule? I thought about doing a turning, but my paper and tube capsule turned out so good on my BT-80 scale Merc, I may go the same route again. Oh oh and what motor are you planing?

SUBSCRIBED! :pop:

TA

Todd ,

I`ll have to post the capsule a little later on ,as I just finished sanding it down and just brushed on a layer of finishing epoxy.After the epoxy coat cures (I`ll give it 48 hours) I`ll give it a sanding and another coat ,then sand and then do any final filling with Bondo and finish sand.

I shall post a picture of the finished ,filled capsule as soon as it`s done ,so give me a few days :wink:

I`m using a 38mm motor mount ,as the fins and their shape & design will not allow much bigger in a 4" BT......although you could squeeze in a 54mm ,but then you lose the look of those particular looking fins.

Paul t

Another one of your fine builds!!!! I can hardly wait to see the end result.:)

Well you know ,me living in Winnipeg ,I`m in no big rush to get it done, I have until at least mid-end of April until I can paint outside. LOL

......you`re not going to call it "Winterpeg" are you ? :lol:

Paul t

Oh my, a five star thread rating ,thanks to whoever thinks this is good enough ,now the pressure`s on :blush:

I cut out the middle section of the thin middle fin part,so as to fit over the tenon.

Paul T

phppTT91OPM.jpg

Cool! I think that I will put the first layer of laminating epoxy on my capsule today, since the weather is cooperating some more. Subscribed!

You know, I can already see this thing getting overly complicated ,these fins for example.I have to learn to take the easy and simple route ,but it`s too late for this build :eyeroll:

I cut mortices into the ends of the main fins ,using my router table ,table fence and a 1/4" diam. carbide spiral bit,set to the depth needed ,and made a few test passes on scrap material.This leaves 1/16" of material left on either side ,perfect !

I was just not comfortable using a butt joint and glue for this application, nor was a single piece fin acceptable to me, as the fins on the Merc.Redstone are a key feature of this rocket.

So a mortice and tenon joint was the only real good option ,sure a PITA...but plenty strong when all glued up .

Here`s the main fins and their mortices.

And now time for a little nap !!

Cheers

Paul t

phpADiN24PM.jpg

phpEujC66PM.jpg

phpnHV5zTPM.jpg

phpPNxkqePM.jpg

phptYE49ePM.jpg

Cool! I think that I will put the first layer of laminating epoxy on my capsule today, since the weather is cooperating some more. Subscribed!

Mason ,

I was going to ask you how your project was comming along.

Paul T

Oh oh....now I`m under the microscope :y:

Using Always book ROTW ,comes out to 17.5:1 I think ?

Be gentle on me luke LOL

Paul t

You mistake me for a rivet counter?? Nah, not me...

I mean, if you were SHOOTING for mega-detail, then yeah, I could try to help if I could... but since you want more of a "fun" build, then go for it! I'm not gonna razz you about it... Not everything needs to be or even SHOULD be uber-detailed...

The Redstone is a pretty straightforward rocket... cool in its simplicity, actually. It is true that the larger the rocket, the more small detail you need to add to make it look the most realistic (since the smaller details are more noticeable and themselves larger on a larger model, and it looks naked without them-- and of course assuming that realistic looking detail is the goal-- if not, a "sport scale" appearance is good enough, ESPECIALLY if you're building the rocket to be a 'frequent fun flyer'). Smaller models get a "cheat" because the minute details are usually either too tiny to model, or so tiny they practically escape notice on a smaller model due to its small size. But it can be fun to do more detailing if one so chooses...

Not every "scale looking" rocket has to be uber-detailed though to be cool... this is shaping up to look really cool... looking forward to the rest of your build thread...

Later! OL JR :)

Subscribed.... Your builds are not only fantastic, but a great learning experience as well! Thanks for sharing with us!

Latest posts

Back