Post a pic that makes you LOL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like how the bus schedule makes it look like they were blowing off a nuke every day of the week except Sunday. And at $3, having your internal organs exposed to dangerous radiation is a bargain at twice the price!

57912ef8e69593012be80f13676a40b5.jpg

I like how the bus schedule makes it look like they were blowing off a nuke every day of the week except Sunday. And at $3, having your internal organs exposed to dangerous radiation is a bargain at twice the price!

I was once awakened (the nicer way) by a nuclear bomb. It was an underground test on a Saturday morning while I was stationed at Nellis AFB, NV outside Las Vegas. I woke up and saw the lamp shade on the bedside table's lamp vibrating very slightly. Realized, oh yeah, there was to be a test this morning, how cool. Looked at the clock and it was exactly the pre-announced time. They'd announce tests so that people in potentially precarious positions, like exterior window cleaners on tall buildings, an example I believe they gave, would have a heads up.

I would love to see an above-ground test from a gut rocking but just beyond injury level range, but that's never going to happen in a nice, predictable way (i.e. from a nuclear test), only during a nuclear war which I think I'll take a pass on. Witness accounts from what I've read describe near religious experience levels of awe. Understandable...

Is that image associated with an article about that bus service? I'd like to research what sort of viewing site they had and exactly where it was located.

My brother has been to the Trinity site. He says they open it to tourists two days a year. Apparently it is still somewhat radioactive. They only allow visitors access to the two days so that the security people (who are there for full shifts) don't get exposed to too much radiation. He says there really isn't much to see; a little bit of the base of the tower, a hole and a fair amount of glass formed when the sand was superheated by the explosion.

I was once awakened (the nicer way) by a nuclear bomb. It was an underground test on a Saturday morning while I was stationed at Nellis AFB, NV outside Las Vegas. I woke up and saw the lamp shade on the bedside table's lamp vibrating very slightly. Realized, oh yeah, there was to be a test this morning, how cool. Looked at the clock and it was exactly the pre-announced time. They'd announce tests so that people in potentially precarious positions, like exterior window cleaners on tall buildings, an example I believe they gave, would have a heads up.

That reminds me, I used to work in northern Los Angeles. When weather was bad in Florida and the Space Shuttle landed at Edwards, the sonic booms would jolt our building. They didn't alert us ahead of time, so we were never sure if it was an earthquake or the shuttle landing until someone pulled up a news website.

Is that image associated with an article about that bus service? I'd like to research what sort of viewing site they had and exactly where it was located.

A friend posted that pic on FB, and I'm not sure where he got it. I googled and found this https://knpr.org/knpr/2014-03/atomic-tourism-las-vegas#.UxfGmsslzks.twitter

This might be interesting too, I found this NYT article from 1989: https://www.nytimes.com/1989/03/12/travel/seeing-ground-zero-in-nevada.html?pagewanted=all
From the article:
Whether the Atomic Energy Commission, which operated the test site, was fully aware of the dangers of radioactive fallout in the early 1950's is still a matter of dispute among scientists and investigators. What the commission did recognize, though, was that public acceptance of the tests was crucial to gaining support from Congress to pay for the development and construction of nuclear weapons.
So starting on Feb. 5, 1952, the national press was invited in and allowed to cover an atmospheric test. On April 22, 1952, a bomb was dropped out of an airplane and detonated in midair, an event seen live on network television.
By 1953, newspapers were publishing schedules for atmospheric tests and some pointed out the best spots beyond the test site boundary from which to view them.

My brother has been to the Trinity site. He says they open it to tourists two days a year. Apparently it is still somewhat radioactive. They only allow visitors access to the two days so that the security people (who are there for full shifts) don't get exposed to too much radiation. He says there really isn't much to see; a little bit of the base of the tower, a hole and a fair amount of glass formed when the sand was superheated by the explosion.

It would be tempting to take a piece of glass as a souvenir, if it wasn't potentially deadly.

I remember meeting a friend of my father's who had been in the army in the 50's. He told us as part of a test, his unit climbed out of their trench and marched across ground zero shortly after one of the detonations. I was very young at the time he told us, but still remember thinking that was absolutely crazy. He explained they brought him in once a year and checked him for cancer, and he was still clear. That was the mid 80's. As far as I know, he could have passed away from other natural causes, cancer free. Or riddled with tumors from head to toe.

It would be tempting to take a piece of glass as a souvenir, if it wasn't potentially deadly.
Quite illegal. But... you can buy Trinitite online legally. I have a piece at my house and it came with a breakdown of the trace amounts of different elements still detectable in it. A small amount of radioactivity is still present but there's more in the smoke detector in the hallway than in my sample.

Quite illegal. But... you can buy Trinitite online legally. I have a piece at my house and it came with a breakdown of the trace amounts of different elements still detectable in it. A small amount of radioactivity is still present but there's more in the smoke detector in the hallway than in my sample.
+1, my raw uranium sample has several bananasworth of paper-blockable radioactivity.

I also have several (I think the average figure was several hundred but am uncertain) bananaworths of radioactivity.

The mention of smoke detectors reminds me: I had something of an Americium phase a couple years back.
Is that sort of behavior normal, even in these groups?

That reminds me, I used to work in northern Los Angeles. When weather was bad in Florida and the Space Shuttle landed at Edwards, the sonic booms would jolt our building. They didn't alert us ahead of time, so we were never sure if it was an earthquake or the shuttle landing until someone pulled up a news website.

A friend posted that pic on FB, and I'm not sure where he got it. I googled and found this https://knpr.org/knpr/2014-03/atomic-tourism-las-vegas#.UxfGmsslzks.twitter

This might be interesting too, I found this NYT article from 1989: https://www.nytimes.com/1989/03/12/travel/seeing-ground-zero-in-nevada.html?pagewanted=all
From the article:
Whether the Atomic Energy Commission, which operated the test site, was fully aware of the dangers of radioactive fallout in the early 1950's is still a matter of dispute among scientists and investigators. What the commission did recognize, though, was that public acceptance of the tests was crucial to gaining support from Congress to pay for the development and construction of nuclear weapons.
So starting on Feb. 5, 1952, the national press was invited in and allowed to cover an atmospheric test. On April 22, 1952, a bomb was dropped out of an airplane and detonated in midair, an event seen live on network television.
By 1953, newspapers were publishing schedules for atmospheric tests and some pointed out the best spots beyond the test site boundary from which to view them.
Thanks.

More nuclear fun - Soviet joke from the 1960s:

Q. What should you do in the event of a nuclear attack?
A. Grab a shovel, a sheet, and walk slowly to the nearest graveyard.
Q. Why slowly?
A. So as not to create a panic.

Another one, non-nuclear:

Pavel, in a moment of drunken madness, got up in the middle of a tavern and screamed out "Chairman Brezhnev is a moron!" He was immediately arrested, summarily tried and sentenced to 12 years in the Gulag; 4 for insulting the Soviet head-of-state and 8 for revealing a state secret.

US Civil Defense joke poster:

2469-image-450-550-fit.jpg

The government version:

[video=youtube;IKqXu-5jw60]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60[/video]

The government version:

[video=youtube;IKqXu-5jw60]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60[/video]

I remember watching films of nukes igniting buildings on fire, then the shock wave knocking them down both coming and going. We decided that ducking and covering was so our piles of ash would be more compact, making it easier for the poor bastard survivors to clean up.

You will be placed in "an tower"?

I thought that people used to have better grammar....

I don't worry about the future of humanity. When I am old, feeble and need to be cared for, those commenters will be trying to get food from the ground to the table. I'll starve, but so will they.

Last edited:
Mega-Facepalm about the comments......

Flat Earth conspiracy candidates!

Reminds me of the same limited thinking when listening to this flat Earther on YouTube who was commenting on Derek Deville's Qu8k project. He did a quick calculation with the burn time and apogee, and had a brilliant moment with the difference. I can't recall his exact words but essentially he was suggesting it was fake because it should have stopped when it ran out of fuel...or hit the top of the dome.

Flat Earth conspiracy candidates!

Reminds me of the same limited thinking when listening to this flat Earther on YouTube who was commenting on Derek Deville's Qu8k project. He did a quick calculation with the burn time and apogee, and had a brilliant moment with the difference. I can't recall his exact words but essentially he was suggesting it was fake because it should have stopped when it ran out of fuel...or hit the top of the dome.

Does a bullet stop when it runs out of barrel!? ......

I do suspect that a FEW of those comments were playing along with the stupidity.

But sadly probably not most.

To move on.... I'm sure this must have been posted thousands of messages ago.........

science-rock-rocket_science-rocket_scientists-scientists-cavemen-dre0665_low.jpg

Last edited:
True recent event; a not true story about it:

‘Sorry aboot that, eh’ - Canadian sniper apologizes after record-breaking kill shot

https://www.duffelblog.com/2017/06/canadian-sniper-kill-shot-record/

OTTAWA — A Canadian sniper apologized today after he was confirmed to have scored the longest lethal shot on record, according to sources.

The sniper, whose identity is being withheld for operational security reasons, said he was sorry both to the ISIS fighter he killed and to the former record-holder, British soldier Craig Harrison, whose record his 2.2-mile shot smashed by over 3,000 feet.

“Sorry aboot that, eh,” the sniper supposedly said as the .50 caliber round ripped through the insurgent’s thoracic cavity. “I thought that was a dern moose, friend.”

According to experts, Canadian standard operating procedure is to ask a target’s permission before ending his life, so as to maintain a spirit of good sportsmanship.

“We’re all aboot friendship and fair play up here in Canada, even if we’re just killing a bunch of hosers like ISIS,” said Canadian military spokesman Mick Robinson. “All the famous Canadians that everyone’s heard of like Frank Boucher and Jack Bionda would tell you the same, buddy.”

After hiding out in full-body denim ghillie suits for days, the sniper team allegedly returned to their base where they celebrated with a “specially prepared dinner of maple syrup, Tim Horton’s doughnuts, Molson Ice, and poutine for the Québécois comm. guy.”

Robinson says this shot will “stand right up there with Gretzky’s hat trick against Calgary in ’88” as one of the greatest moments in Canadian history.

“I’d say that was aboot as accurate as a Gordie Howe slapshot, eh,” said Robinson while sitting in a refrigerator and sharpening his ice skates. “I don’t even know what a 2.2 miles is, but I’m scared to look it up.”

“You happen to catch the score of the curling match?”

3d2e882062a27b90252be4b8355beb2f.jpg

MM-Canadian-Warfare.jpg

34809672004_e08f96bce4_o.jpg

North Korea agrees to trade away nuclear weapons for Krispy Kreme franchise

https://www.duffelblog.com/2017/05/north-korea-krispy-kreme/

PYONGYANG — In a breakthrough negotiation amid escalating tensions on the Korean peninsula, North Korean leader Kim Jong-un has agreed to trade away all his nuclear weapons in exchange for a single Krispy Kreme franchise, sources confirmed today.

“I’m super proud of Ambassador Hailey for negotiating such a big, big deal,” President Donald Trump said. “I thought I was going to have to bomb the s**t out of ‘em.”

Pundits had long speculated on what could get Kim Jong-un to give up his nuclear weapons. Many experts had recommended tougher sanctions, or trying to persuade China to become more involved, though none seemed to change Pyongyang’s behavior.

“Due to an unusual translation error, Kim Jong-un originally thought that the USS Carl Vinson that was ordered to waters off Korea was actually a Carl’s Junior that was going to be built in Pyongyang,” one US official said, on condition of anonymity. “When he was informed that wasn’t the case, man was he pissed.”

The source added: “We had to find the one thing more important to Kim than the preservation of his regime. Turns out it was right there in front of us.”

His belly.

Management officials at JAB Holding Company, owners of Krispy Kreme, were initially concerned that the deal would include a ‘Doughnuts for Life’ clause for Kim Jong-un which could have cost the company millions — assuming the dictator didn’t eat himself to death in the process.

But the North Korean regime has agreed to take on all costs of production due to a convenient supply of slave labor that keeps manufacturing costs to a minimum and both sides happy about the terms of the deal.

8a582fae9dadeb8d0146ecb9d1d69238.jpg

So, this one is not so much LOL as it is entertaining in a Rube Goldberg sort of way.

But most of these are not brute force "stunt" moves. There's a LOT of very clever (yet low-tech) engineering happening here, of a nature not seen in most Rube Goldberg type videos (most notably a lot of the rolling ball tricks, such as the sequence starting at 17 seconds in)

[video=youtube;IV_8iO5DxBQ]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV_8iO5DxBQ[/video]

Last edited:
A really fun "video", keyboard music based on scrolling an outline of a map of the world.

Play the link below to see/hear it all the way thru (really wish this was posted on Youtube, or that Facebook videos could be previewed by the forum software. Image below the link is a static screenshot).

https://www.facebook.com/BaddestMemesII/videos/1717833768256989/

abe9u8B.png

Last edited:
Back