Adept 22 Retired

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This product has no deployment,altitude recording only.
I thought that's what I said. My point was that on the front page of the Adept website they announced the ALTIM1 Maximum Altitude Altimeter is back at $20, an 80% lower price than a simillar unit in the 90s. They also stated:
The ADEPT22/DDC22 product line has been retired. With deliveries in excess of 10,000 units we consider the product line to be one of our most successful, and we feel that this is a good time to set it aside and move on to new ideas.
That implies to me that there is something new in the works to replace the Adept22.

Bob

Dave, the RRC3 will be nowhere near $150

The features for the price tag are amazing on this little unit

He never sold a wiring harness for the Adept 22.
The ALTS 2 is a totally different beast.

JD

I just ordered two last week and do not have them yet. I should have realized they were on the way out when I saw that Tommy was no longer selling the wiring harness for them! At that low of a price, every rocket got it's own!

He never sold a wiring harness for the Adept 22.
The ALTS 2 is a totally different beast.

Yes he did, the HAR22 was the harness for the adept22 and the DDC22. I still have one in the package from when I last purchased from him.

HAR22.jpg

Dave, the RRC3 will be nowhere near $150

The features for the price tag are amazing on this little unit

I hope that's the case. I researched the RRC2 --shied away from it because I couldn't get the price off the website. "Call for price," it said--or something similar. To me that invokes the old adage: "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." It would be nice if the RRC3 --when released-- has the standard, customer-friendly model of a listed price with a "buy" button.

I really wanted the Adept I was going to buy this morning to keep in the range box as a spare for Red Glare, and perhaps for use in the next project (a retrofit of an old friend to electronic deployment) afterward. As that's not possible anymore, I'm figuring on going with the Stratologger--it's a bit pricier than I wanted to get into, but there's a vacuum now, and choices seem limited...

Later!

--Coop

I hope that's the case. I researched the RRC2 --shied away from it because I couldn't get the price off the website. "Call for price," it said--or something similar. To me that invokes the old adage: "If you have to ask, you can't afford it." It would be nice if the RRC3 --when released-- has the standard, customer-friendly model of a listed price with a "buy" button.

When were you looking? If it was in the past 4 to 6 months, that's why -- Jim had the RRC3 planned, and in the works, so he didn't want to oversell what he had in stock.

I really wanted the Adept I was going to buy this morning to keep in the range box as a spare for Red Glare, and perhaps for use in the next project (a retrofit of an old friend to electronic deployment) afterward. As that's not possible anymore, I'm figuring on going with the Stratologger--it's a bit pricier than I wanted to get into, but there's a vacuum now, and choices seem limited...

Check with Tim Lehr, and see if he has any RRC2 Minis left; they're not listed on the website, but he might have a couple.

As for the RRC3, it should be out this spring. We're all working to get it to the release stage as quickly as possible, and I seriously think folks will be floored by what they get, for the price. It sounds like it'll be in a price range you're comfortable with, too. I just can't give pricing, as Jim is still working out the specifics.

-Kevin

Well this just sucks. The Adept22 was going to be my first rocketry electronics purchase. I sure hope something with similar capabilities at a comparable price replaces it. The $40 price tag was just barely in the range of what I can spend.

When were you looking? If it was in the past 4 to 6 months, that's why -- Jim had the RRC3 planned, and in the works, so he didn't want to oversell what he had in stock.

Aaah... yes, it was in the last few months, at that.

I understand you can't give pricing, Kevin--not pressuring you to do so, as I empathize with the position you're in (having been there myownself, just not on rocketry products).

If the RRC3 IS out this spring, I'll be very eager for another altimeter by then.

Later!

--Coop

My thinking is....if this "next greatest thing" altimeter was not going be a case of sticker shock someone woulda spilled the beans on price. Sounds like a bunch of hipe just like a stand in line for hours Christmas toy. Just my take no malice intended. Less than $150? What $149.99????..
Their other altimeters are "call for price". We are all adults here lets be straight up with each other please.

This just ain't gonna be a $29 aka a workin class dogs affordable item. Stuff like this simply reminds me as much as I enjoy the hobby they are ONLY cardboard and glue.

bobkrech said:
My point was that on the front page of the Adept website they announced the ALTIM1 Maximum Altitude Altimeter is back at $20, an 80% lower price than a simillar unit in the 90s.
Bob,

It (the $20 ALTIM1) has also been out for a couple of years....it's even found its way to the Appendix G list in the Pink Book.....

Last edited:
My thinking is....if this "next greatest thing" altimeter was not going be a case of sticker shock someone woulda spilled the beans on price. Sounds like a bunch of hipe just like a stand in line for hours Christmas toy. Just my take no malice intended. Less than $150? What $149.99????..
Their other altimeters are "call for price". We are all adults here lets be straight up with each other please.

This just ain't gonna be a $29 aka a workin class dogs affordable item. Stuff like this simply reminds me as much as I enjoy the hobby they are ONLY cardboard and glue.

Boy I hope you got some salt, that way your harsh words won't taste so bad when you have to eat them.

I understand you can't give pricing, Kevin--not pressuring you to do so, as I empathize with the position you're in (having been there myownself, just not on rocketry products).

I just got off the phone with Jim. He's working to finalize pricing, and he'll have an MSRP that we can release by Monday.

Trust us on this, we've seen Jim's current pricing estimates, and you're nowhere near the ballpark on what this unit is going to cost. The pricing estimates versus what the final pricing will be...it's very safe to say Jim is already within 10%.

The reason pricing hasn't been released yet is that the Alpha phase just completed, and coming out of that are some engineering changes, which affects the pricing. Nobody wanted to say it's going to cost $X, then have people disappointed when the final production unit cost was $X+10

We're now to the point where Jim is confident he has the hardware locked down. He needs to make sure he has the proper bill of materials defined, which lets him calculate his production cost, and from that, he can finalize retail cost.

This thing will be nowhere near $150 -- that's way high by a significant margin.

-Kevin

OK....should I wait to order after i cross the pond on June?

Dave believe me I count my Penny's just as much as the next guy. Even at that I still probably fly above my means lol, don't mention that to the wife though.

As for the RRC3 price it literally hasn't been established let, also its not our place to post that info even if we had it. I'm sure Jim will be forth coming with all the info you guys want very soon.

OK....should I wait to order after i cross the pond on June?

That depends on what works best for you. I'd imagine you have to pay VAT, if you ship one to Europe. If you need it before then, it might be worth it. If not, wait 'til you're here.

-Kevin

I couldn't get the price off the website. "Call for price," it said--or something similar.

BTW, I asked Jim about why it was listed that way, and it comes down to this... He wanted to keep the product listed on the website, but not allow folks to order something that he didn't have stock on, and likely wasn't going to have again (it's out of production, with the replacement, the RRC3, in development).

His cart software requires that he either put a cost on it, and let people order, or list it as "Call for Price".

-Kevin

Thanks Kevin and coop. I had wondered the same. I am eager to see the rrc3 and adept 22 replacement.

This is disappointing news, I just sent an email to order a Wild Child with DD parts and was planning on ordering an Adept22 to use with it. I am eager to find out more about the RRC3 then for this project

A bit of a rant ahead :rant:

Gee, I thought the web site claims it was wildly popular. Not having looked around the net, I wonder "What the Heck" is the real story???? Perhaps I'll never know. It's not like I see a "And here is the follow on." , on the web site. Nope. Just it's time we move on... Meaning what? It's time we get out of the business??? Why do people make such horrendous business communications? It not Rocket Science! Just put yourself in your Customer's place.

I mean if you are going to kill a product line, you'd figure you'd announce a follow-on. Unless maybe this line of work is not really a priority anymore...

Anyway. I am a BIG fan of the Adept-22. Hate to see it off into nowhere-land without a follow on.

And I am a HUGE fan of RRC's. I have two RRC2s and now have a RRC Mini being reflashed as I write this. I am happy to send the dough to Jim Amos. IMO Tommy should at least put a carrot out at the same time as the announcement, assuming there is a follow-on.

If the RRC3 is $50-60 then of course its a no-brainer. Beyond that, the $39 I paid for the Adept-22 is HARD to beat.

Just My :2:
Jeff

I've owned several ADEPT22 and have not had the best experiences with them, the last two flights I used them on they did not fire the ejection charges and luckily I had a redundant PF Stratologger that did work and fire them. The ADEPT22 seems to be designed with a lot less tolerance for battery voltages and especially didn’t like certain ejection igniters such as my quick burst when the battery voltage (I was using a 9 volt) was the slightest bit lower than 9.00 volts. My PF Stratologger was always rock solid and would tolerate lower battery voltages and many different ejection igniters even higher amp ones versus the ADEPT22 which for me was hit or miss on some of these and if your battery was the slightest bit low forget about trying to ignite a quickburst with the ADEPT22. Can't say I'm all that sorry to see them go, I had since taken them off my Avbay sled due to some of the issues I had. Also didn't like that the terminal block did not have all the necessary connections needed for the drogue and main, had to resort to twisting together extra wires to the common terminal, what a pain and what a clutter. The PF Stratologgers I purchased were around $70 if you purchase from them direct versus the $40 for the ADEPT22 really for me not enough savings to justify the ADEPT22, especially since the PF Stratologger didn’t cheap out on the terminal block as all the connections needed are in there which makes it easier to wire, cleaner, and also I suspect better circuitry since it is a lot more forgiving on the voltage levels and different ejection igniters. Also I can download my flight data easily to my computer and print graphs with the Stratologger something completely lacking on the ADEPT22. I mean really if the ADEPT22 was soooooo successful and sold sooooo many (according to the ADEPT website) why are they being discontinued, I think products like the PF Stratologger are the reason it is being retired. It seems like at one time ADEPT altimeters were on the leading edge but they rested too much on their lead now when you look at what they offer versus some of the others such as Perfectflite, Featherweight, and Missleworks it seems that ADEPT has fallen way behind.

Last edited:
Glad I picked up a couple alts and a ddc from them in 2012. Had I known there were going to be OOP I would've ordered a few more back then. Let's see what their new item will be.

I sold the two ADEPT22's I had quite some time ago. Personally I do not like alts that utilize common +/- wiring for the e-matches. I will put up with it on the Raven, but only because in those applications I need the small size/weight and/or accelerometer measures. I'm looking forward to the RRC3 release.

Back