Adept 22 Retired

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coop

Reaction score
It seems the venerable, inexpensive, Adept-22 is no more as of today. When I got paid. When I was going to order another. And it doesn't appear as though there's a comparable product in Adept's lineup--everything else is in the 90 dollar range. For that price, I can get a Stratologger --which is, evidently, what I'm going to wind up doing.

I liked the $40 altimeter, because at that price, you could leave it in the rocket, and not have to worry about transferring it between or anything like that. While I understand Adept wanting to bring out new products, I'm mildly annoyed at the moment that they chose to DC THIS product, on this day.

So... the market just opened up for sub-$50 dual-deployment altimeters, ye electronics wizards! I look forward to what ya'll come up with!

Later!

--Coop

Bummer, well at least I got a few before they vanished:dark: I just love and collect Altimeters. hell, now I have to retire a couple.

They sold over 10,000...now THAT'S impressive. I personally own three, and I imagine there are many more out there that own multiple.

I am curious to see what their next step is going to be. Will it be a cheap altimeter that is even easier to use? I am a huge fan of altimeters that do not utilize a common terminal as it simplifies wiring immensely. Obviously this leads to larger footprints on altimeters and more traces on the unit, but it also leads to a lot fewer "peripherals" on my sleds (terminals, switches, etc.).

They made a great product, I am sure they will follow up with something good.

Well now this has come into play....I'll be buying the kit from Bear much sooner than expected. Strange the price was raised just days ago.

But I do enjoy soldering. I have 1 adept 22 and its cool was hoping for another. Oh well

I was going to buy a few more. Looks like I missed the boat. I will have to find another prize for the build contest.

Well now this has come into play....I'll be buying the kit from Bear much sooner than expected. Strange the price was raised just days ago.

But I do enjoy soldering. I have 1 adept 22 and its cool was hoping for another. Oh well
I should have some affordable replacements comming up soon. I am making some good progress
https://rocket.payload.free.fr/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=10&Itemid=8&lang=fr
I need to go on the field and fly them few time before I can do a kit. They are a bit bigger than the adept but will do the job.

I might have got the last one. Received notice wednesday that it shipped. Some time its better to be lucky then good:)

Well the NEW Missile Works RRC3 will be coming out soon! Myself and a few others have been testing and flying the new units and I can guarantee you'll be mighty impressed with the RRC3.

I hope that means we'll see the adept23 soon!

I ordered one last month just after the price increase. It looks very nice. I really hope the have a replacement for it.

I just ordered two last week and do not have them yet. I should have realized they were on the way out when I saw that Tommy was no longer selling the wiring harness for them! At that low of a price, every rocket got it's own!

I should probably post this here so people can read it...

From the home page:
"The ADEPT22/DDC22 product line has been retired. With deliveries in excess of 10,000 units we consider the product line to be one of our most successful, and we feel that this is a good time to set it aside and move on to new ideas.

Orders placed for the ADEPT22 and DDC22 before March 1, 2013 will be completed. We will continue to offer support for the units, and the documentation will remain on our website."

Well the NEW Missile Works RRC3 will be coming out soon! Myself and a few others have been testing and flying the new units and I can guarantee you'll be mighty impressed with the RRC3.

I 100% agree, these newer RRC3 ROCK!:headbang: and I think they will become very popular, and lots of little addons too boot!

That's great but it's not even close to the same category as the Adept 22. The 22 is a much simpler alt and I doubt the RRC3 is going to come in anywhere near the $40 price range of the 22. Don't get me wrong, the RRC3 looks like the next big thing in electronics but we're talking apples and oranges here.

For me, this news is a little irritating - and I hope it's a temporary situation. Gary, no offense but I don't have the budget you have for rocketry - and your projects look great by the way. I don't hold it against you or anything but for me the difference between putting a $150 altimeter (I'm totally guessing that's what the RRC3 price is going to be) in a project versus a $40 alt is significant. Add to that, my little 22 is every bit as reliable as my HiAlt45k and almost as easy to use. If my project lawn darts a $40 loss is a little easier to take than $150. That difference in cost (yes, I do fly within a budget because I really am that anal) could be the difference between flying some J's and I's versus flying A8's and B6's at the next launch or two as I would try to replace my alt. While I think the RRC3 is fantastic and admittedly, I may find it difficult to not buy one I would be really be impressed with Missle Works came out with a comparable alt to the Adept 22 that is comparable in price. In fact, I would be impressed if anyone came out with something similar in the same price range.

Someday when the kiddos get out of the freaking house I'll start flying big 'ol projects and get my L3 but now is NOT that time lol.

Will the price compare to the adept 22 or will this be substantial higher? A $20+ altimeter would be perfect!

I should be shipping Eggtimer kits by the end of March, it's going to be $40-$50 and it does dual-deploy and flight recording, something the Adept 22 didn't do... see www.EggtimerRocketry.com

I'm interested. Please keep us posted.

I own two Adept22's and also one of the DDC22's. I, like others, was getting ready to order a couple more, even with the price increase. I'm sorry to see them go.

This saddens me deeply... I loved this little altimeter! It made all my rockets affordable. Sure, it was bare bones but It was awesome.

I hope adept comes out with something even better and even cheaper. It's hard to justify a 70 dollar altimeter in a Mpr rocket. 40 was manageable.

I hope that means we'll see the adept23 soon!

I ordered one last month just after the price increase. It looks very nice. I really hope the have a replacement for it.

I sure hope so.

crud! I have been waiting on W2s (no, I still do not have one) so I could get taxes filed before picking up any more rocket gear. Guess dual deploy is not in the near future. Yes, I know there are other options, just being over dramatic.

D a m n i t! :cry::rant:

I was going to order one TODAY now that I have been PAID!!!!! #*&@% :sigh:

TA

was going to order and they raised the price. I almost ordered a few days ago and they cancelled he line. I am sure Tommy has something planned. Be patient.

this could be an opportunity to make some money! I have a brand new, never used adept22 for $60. shipping including! act fast, this offer won't last long! :D

just kidding. maybe.

Adept just released a new Max altitude altimeter for $20, an 80% lower price than a similar product from the 90's. I'll bet there is something new in the pipeline that will be released soon to replace the Adept 22. I'm guessing they ran out of boards, and instead of ordering new Adept22 boards, they have designed something new.

Bob

Add me to the list of those that were just about to purchase one (or two) more. Dangit.

I hope you are right Bob and that something new/similiar is about to come out to replace it.

s6

Shoot....I hope something else comes out around this price point. If not, RRC3 here I come.

Adept just released a new Max altitude altimeter for $20, an 80% lower price than a similar product from the 90's. I'll bet there is something new in the pipeline that will be released soon to replace the Adept 22. I'm guessing they ran out of boards, and instead of ordering new Adept22 boards, they have designed something new.

Bob

This product has no deployment,altitude recording only.

Back