My take on the Estes Dark Energy

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kelltym88

Reaction score
Here's my Estes Dark Energy. I just couldn't see painting it white with the name Dark Energy. Slight mods are 24mm MMT and kevlar. Here are the pics.....

DSC03614 (640x480).jpg

DSC03607 (640x480).jpg

DSC03608 (640x480).jpg

DSC03610 (640x480).jpg

DSC03612 (640x480).jpg

I used Krylon X Metals (which I am having a heck of a time finding now) It looks intense because of the flash from the camera. The other colors are flat black and Testors Bronze.

Looks nice! I need to get around to building mine and use up all those C6-3s I have leftover.

Well at least YOU got the fins on the right way LOL !

Nice paint ,I like that !

Paul T

What a coincidence: I recently did a Hi-Flier with very similar colors. While I'm pleased with mine, your rocket is much sharper. How does it fly?

Looks beautiful. I agree, it's a much better color scheme than the Estes-recommended white.

Will those draggy fins hold up to bigger motors? It's hard for me to see, but looks like there may be small fillets?

What a coincidence: I recently did a Hi-Flier with very similar colors. While I'm pleased with mine, your rocket is much sharper. How does it fly?

I don't know, I just finished it and have not flown it yet.

Looks beautiful. I agree, it's a much better color scheme than the Estes-recommended white.

Will those draggy fins hold up to bigger motors? It's hard for me to see, but looks like there may be small fillets?

Thank you. Actually, I used epoxy for the fillets for two reasons: 1) I don't like how wood glue leaves gaps and holes when it dries, and 2) I wanted to make sure they were strong enough for a bigger motor. It is probably overbuilding, but I'm not going for performance, and it's nothing a D or E motor can't handle.

I have tried that paint, did you use a white primer under it or something else. I couldn't get the "bling" out of the paint I wanted.

I have tried that paint, did you use a white primer under it or something else. I couldn't get the "bling" out of the paint I wanted.

I assume you're referring the X Metal paint. You have to use the X Metal Primer, at least that's how I've always done it. And it needs to be applied gradually. It doesn't sit like other paints, so it takes a few light coats.

So has anyone out there flown their Dark Energy yet?

John Boren

Been a while since the last post. Any flight info and pics?

Back