Still smoke free.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Congrats to all. Quit 15 years ago myself, right around this time of year. Still miss it occasionally.

It's weird - the smell of smoke is still attractive. The way people smell after smoking, not so much.

I don't have as much "clean time" as some of you guys but I've been smoke free since Jan. 1. I had some BAD cravings about a month and a half ago which is probably why I got kicked off this forum for a month for a "verbal exchange" I had with another forum member.

I don't have as much "clean time" as some of you guys but I've been smoke free since Jan. 1. I had some BAD cravings about a month and a half ago which is probably why I got kicked off this forum for a month for a "verbal exchange" I had with another forum member.
Took me one full year/season before the cravings/triggers stopped. I found that everytime I did something I haven't done for awhile,and that something was part of the yearly routine, it was a trigger/habit and I would actually reach for me smokes .
Spring time I was working on me truck getting it ready for inspection. I crawl out from under it and go to the back and look for me smokes. That was a routine/habit.
Anyother time I gets me motorcycle out for the first time season and rides to me friends house.
I gets there and first thing,look for the smokes in me jacket..routine/habit..CRAZY!
Ect .
Anywhoo...
I think for me-self,the nicotine was the easy part, the routine/habit was a beach for the first year.

The personal satisfaction I get, knowing, for now...Im the one in control is AWESOME!!!!!
Then theres the health and money and all the other bennies.
And like I said ,its hard to find a place in public to lite up without getting the cuffs thrown on ya!!!!!

Hang in there, all of yous that are or want to kick butt on the butts.!!!

Congratulations to everyone!

Also proactively to anyone who is a smoker now but finally quits on their own terms rather than the most "popular" method for quitting smoking: death.

My mother smoked a lot but finally quit. But decades of smoking had left its mark for the future. Eventually she got lung cancer and it was a nightmarish last few months. Her best friend at work later told me she had started smoking again at work after having quit for 15 or so years, I had no idea.

I'm fortunate that I never smoked. My vices were overeating and too much sugary stuff. And while I'm down to a healthy weight and eating better now, can't cure the Diabetes, only try to keep it under control (and have to resist temptations like you do, just a different kind). I wish I'd had the self-control to make changes many years before it was too late, as many of you have.

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
Anywhoo...Im still smoke free and at this point its like TopRamen said, after enough time..one wont even care about them and cant see why one eevr started in the first place.
Thats where Im at..I cant imagin me-self smoking..CRAZY POOP!

I dreamed about smoking for a while... But the first time I realized how nasty the smell of 2nd hand smoke was, or just how smelly plain smoke drift from the cigarrette was, I knew I had made it. I now feel pitty for the poor soles who are slaves to "the smoke" because they are tied down due to the habit... I am coming up on 13-years now, and have zero regrets. Congrats on your progress... it will be conforting to know, that at about the 10-year mark of being smoke free, most the damage done by smoking will have been reversed or healed.

I dreamed about smoking for a while... But the first time I realized how nasty the smell of 2nd hand smoke was, or just how smelly plain smoke drift from the cigarrette was, I knew I had made it. I now feel pitty for the poor soles who are slaves to "the smoke" because they are tied down due to the habit... I am coming up on 13-years now, and have zero regrets. Congrats on your progress... it will be conforting to know, that at about the 10-year mark of being smoke free, most the damage done by smoking will have been reversed or healed.
I now feel pitty for the poor soles who are slaves to "the smoke Me too. I had a talk with a man the other day. I did NOT preach, I just talked to him and mentioned the ole clesha...If I can do it,you can.
I truly feel bad for this man..he smokes one after the other and you can see the strain its putting on his body.

Well, after 3 years smoke-free, I'm smoking again :(

Stresses & what not resulted in me having a smoke.. Then two.. And before I knew it I'd bought a 2nd pack.

It's been a couple of weeks now - but when I can, I'll be off to the doctor to get the Zyban again. That worked for me last time.

I will be smoke-free again!

Krusty.

Quitting smoking is one of the hardest things in life to do.
Nearly as hard as hard as it was getting use to it.
I tried it, I hated it.
I hate the smell. My first wife smoked.
I couldn't sleep in the same bed with her.
It smelled worse than cow crap.
I make snide remarks at people when I pass them by in the stores.
My mother smoked for 52 years. She's 89-1/2 know.
10% of one lung is usable.
Because she smoked while I was inside her, I have many health problems.
I never smoked, but I reap the health issues from it my whole life.
I was plauged with broncitous my whole life because she smoked in the house.
I missed a lot of school. The more I stayed home being sick, the sicker I got.
I was born addicted to nickotine. That's probably why I took up chewing in my freshman year of baseball in high school.
Smoking not only hurts yourself, but everyone around you.
And like me, the one's you love the most.
And to this day, my mother swears my health problems proved my doctors is not her fault.
Because, back then, the habit's long term harm to the unborn was unknown.
I hate smokers. I hate Tobacco Co.'s as a hole.
Not that I hate the farmers for making a living, but people who buy it for resale.
If they didn't make money off Tobacco, they would plant cotton, or soy beans or something else to make a living.
And then we can get into the health restrictions and insurance costs for Tobacco users.
It is an ill fatted habit that needs to end. Like the crime in Government. Who's is hand in hand with profits from Tobacco.
Clean sweep of all of it.

It's been a couple of weeks now - but when I can, I'll be off to the doctor to get the Zyban again. That worked for me last time.

I will be smoke-free again!

Dang, always temptations.

But great to hear you plan to stop again soon.

A short-term slip-up, not a long-term give-up. :)

- George Gassaway

Last edited:
HM,,,,,,,Forgot about this thread.....

.......UPDATE!!!!!!

Still smoke free baby!!!!!!! :wave: 3yrs

Bought me some hockey skates,elbow pads ,shin pads, helmet and stick over this last week. College has a pond they clear the snow off and keep the ice maintained.
Well ,this ole man (57 this March, not too old) has been skating and pushing a puck around after work.
TODAY I did a classic..A Charlie Brown where me feet came write OUT and UP from under me . I was horizontal :eyepop: I landed on me left elbow that compresses up me whole left arm into me side till me s left hip hits the ice and pust a real sudden stop to me discent.....UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ill say "I thought for a moment, it might be a 911 call"!!
Well, I didnt break anything, and ended up skating for another 1/2 hr or so.
Very sore left arm and hip tonight...but it a good sore..RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

Last edited:
Good for you !!!! :wave:

I have a 20yr anniversary for dropping a dif type of vice coming up in May.

HM,,,,,,,Forgot about this thread.....

.......UPDATE!!!!!!

Still smoke free baby!!!!!!! :wave: 3yrs

Bought me some hockey skates,elbow pads ,shin pads, helmet and stick over this last week. College has a pond they clear the snow off and keep the ice maintained.
Well ,this ole man (57 this March, not too old) has been skating and pushing a puck around after work.
TODAY I did a classic..A Charlie Brown where me feet came write OUT and UP from under me . I was horizontal :eyepop: I landed on me left elbow that compresses up me whole left arm into me side till me s left hip hits the ice and pust a real sudden stop to me discent.....UUUUUUUUUGGGGGGGGGGGG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Ill say "I thought for a moment, it might be a 911 call"!!
Well, I didnt break anything, and ended up skating for another 1/2 hr or so.
Very sore left arm and hip tonight...but it a good sore..RAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :lol:

You are my hero.

"Still smoke free" for one thing, which is just SO dang cool. Congrats and keep it up!! I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE cigarettes.

And the old-man-getting-out-and-playing-hockey thing. Yup, I hear you on that one! Born and raised playing pond-hockey like a good Canadian/Vermonter-boy myself. I had been away from it for a LONG time though, and then just a couple years ago (now that I'm in my 50s) said "screw it", went out and got myself some skates/stick/puck and started tooling around making a fool of myself on the ice. And loving every minute of it. But when I go down, it sure seems to hurt a lot more than it did 30 or 40 years ago!

I'd love to meet you some day on the ice and push a puck or two around wit'ya,
s6

Congrats to all the "Quitters" on the forum!

During the height of Vietnam, my Dad was up to 4 packs a day. I'm thrilled to say that once he got home, my Mom put a stop to that.

He'll occasionally smoke a cigar (3x/year or so), but gave up cigarettes completely.

Ya bunch of quitters!

Actually, this is a really, really good thing.

No pond hockey in central Okla. today - temps near 70. First time I saw a pond freeze over was when I was going to college in Enid, OK (home of Owen K. Garriot). Seldom so cold!

I always envied the people in this thread. Now I can join all the quitters. I quit conventional cigs last new years and started vaping. Every month when I went to get juice refills I would tell them to add less nicotine to the mix. 6 months later I was down to 0% nicotine and I was done. So I guess technically you could say I am one year cigarette free, but just 6 months nicotine free. I feel soooo much better now!

You are my hero.

"Still smoke free" for one thing, which is just SO dang cool. Congrats and keep it up!! I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE cigarettes.

And the old-man-getting-out-and-playing-hockey thing. Yup, I hear you on that one! Born and raised playing pond-hockey like a good Canadian/Vermonter-boy myself. I had been away from it for a LONG time though, and then just a couple years ago (now that I'm in my 50s) said "screw it", went out and got myself some skates/stick/puck and started tooling around making a fool of myself on the ice. And loving every minute of it. But when I go down, it sure seems to hurt a lot more than it did 30 or 40 years ago!

I'd love to meet you some day on the ice and push a puck or two around wit'ya,
s6
Yes,that would be cool. If your are ever in the area. Shoot me a PM and Ill shoot you my home info. You are more than most welcome at our place.

" And loving every minute "...Priceless!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm about 1 year off of cigarettes this time. I still smoke about a dozen cigars a year (most of which are Super Bowl weekend), but I'm not giving those up. Thankfully at my peak, I was only smoking about 1/3-1/2 a pack a day, so the habit itself was a little easier to break.

I always envied the people in this thread. Now I can join all the quitters. I quit conventional cigs last new years and started vaping. Every month when I went to get juice refills I would tell them to add less nicotine to the mix. 6 months later I was down to 0% nicotine and I was done. So I guess technically you could say I am one year cigarette free, but just 6 months nicotine free. I feel soooo much better now!
Whatever works..good for you.
And to think of all the rocket stuff you can buy with the extra coin!!!! :smile:

After 37 years I quit cold turkey in 1997. In 2008, I had a PSA test and was subsequently informed that I had prostate cancer. I also had urinary bladder tumors and so had a dual surgery involving radioactive iodine seed implantation and bladder surgery to remove the tumors before they became invasive and the cancer spread. The prostate cancer was treated successfully with the seed implants and external radiation beam therapy. My PSA's have been normal, low actually, ever since. The bladder cancer is a different story.

My urologist informed me that these bladder cancers are almost certainly the result of smoking cigarettes. I have now had four "weed pulling sessions" in my bladder, most recently on December 23, 2015, just in time for Santa. My sister died of lung cancer at the age of 67 in 2009 and my dad died in 1973 of emphysema and kidney failure. Both were heavy smokers and smoking cigarettes was the probable cause.

My advice to anyone who will listen is this. If you don't smoke, don't start. If you do, quit now. It's hard, but this is harder:

[video=youtube;GWz5ovbZQRw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWz5ovbZQRw[/video]

OK, rolling on 4 years now!
So glad I can look back on this thread and see the trip its been.
I was showing me son this thread over the holidays.
Hes a puffer :sad:
Anywhoo..as always..good for those that have quit and props and hopes to those that are trying or want to quit and be free from the grip of the vice.

Back