Still smoke free.

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty Dog

Reaction score
I was just about ready to take a break from the TV and PC and go out on the porch and have a smoke.
Then I remembered ,"I QUIT"
Yup,the "Dog" is still smoke free. :clap:
There was a time that I thought I could never do it.
Well, here I am over 5 weeks smoke free.
I know there are others here on TRF that are trying to quit or want to try...Good luck to ya all.
You can do it !!!!!

Last edited:
Good work guys, how are you 2 doing it, I have tried patches, gum and hypnotics. The hypnotics actually worked for a week!

VERY cool. I love it when folks quit, and I love it even more when they are happy/pleased/proud.

Cigarettes are such nasty things.

Good on ya, stick with it, cheers, s6

Good work guys, how are you 2 doing it, I have tried patches, gum and hypnotics. The hypnotics actually worked for a week!

1 minute at a time and staying really busy---plus I hate to spend the bucks !!

As a physician, I have found that if you are really serious about quitting, you can do it without any help.

Congrats!

I HATE cigarette smoke. The smell is disgusting and the long term effects are just not worth in, IMHO.

I quit with my wife every time she gets pregnant. The physical withdrawal is rough, but it passes. Habits are harder to break. We've been "quit" for nearly two years now, and when we went camping this past weekend we both had urges to smoke. It's odd, I barely think about it anymore, but going camping just set it off.

Just pure will power. Thats how I did it 8 years ago when my first grandchild was born. Just build more rockets!!! Keep active, ride a bike, take a walk, just keep your mind busy!!! You have the power to stop. :w:

My mother quit 14 years ago when one of her best friends was diagnosed with lung cancer for a second time.

Her quote?

"Cancer cures smoking!"

G.D.

I was just about ready to take a break from the TV and PC and go out on the porch and have a smoke.
I know there are others here on TRF that are trying to quit or want to try...Good luck to ya all.
You can do it !!!!!

Excellent..hang in there. It's been six years now for me. It took many years of trying. Get ready though, after about a year you'll hate even the smell of cigaretts. To this day I can be sitting in traffic and smell some one smoking two cars ahead of me.

Cold turkey with no fill ins(candy,gum,patches,ect).
I tried all the other things (patches,gums,pills,candy,ect)many times and I allways went back to smoking.
This time I had it in my head that I was done with smoking.
Its like cwbullett said...if ya really want to quit,you can do it without any help.
But,if getting help helps ya quit,then go for it.What ever works for each.
I still have a time of it in the morning having that first cup of coffee.
The rest of the day is a breeze,lucky for me!!!!!

Excellent..hang in there. It's been six years now for me. It took many years of trying. Get ready though, after about a year you'll hate even the smell of cigaretts. To this day I can be sitting in traffic and smell some one smoking two cars ahead of me.
Congrats to you.
I already hate the smell. I mean it.
Im truely amazed at how bad the smell is to me.
Only 5 weeks in and I about gag when a worker walks by me when he comes in from outside after having a puff. :puke:

As a physician, I have found that if you are really serious about quitting, you can do it without any help.

I agree with this, for the most part. I think some people are very prone to becoming addicted, and would have a great deal of trouble with just willpower. A lot of people just have a habit and not addiction. With a habit, it's very possible to break with willpower. Not easy, mind you; just as any other habit, like sticking to a strict diet instead of eating junk food.

Congratulations! Keep up the good work. It must be a great feeling!

Yahhh!

Many local organizations have free gum, patches, etc to help you quit.

Good luck! It is a great thing to quit and a tough one. just remember you are an addict. Light up just once and you will be a smoker again. How do I know, I am an addict myself. Quit 17 years ago yesterday! I know all it would take is to light one up and I would be back at it.

Dennis

Good for you, Scotty -- keep it up!

It's a tough habit to break.

-Kevin

I agree with this, for the most part. I think some people are very prone to becoming addicted, and would have a great deal of trouble with just willpower. A lot of people just have a habit and not addiction. With a habit, it's very possible to break with willpower. Not easy, mind you; just as any other habit, like sticking to a strict diet instead of eating junk food.
The thing with "Help" to me is/was..I was just substituting one thing for another.
Instead of a puff it was a piece of gum or a pill ,ect.
I never broke the habbit doing it that way.
I believe the addiction will never go away.
I just dont smoke.
Like drinking alcohol,I havent had a drink in 15 years,but I know dam well Im still addicted to alcohol.
I just dont drink.
If I have a drink today after 15 years, it would be like I never stopped.
Ild be off and running all over again.
I know this cuz I had 4 years sobriety under my belt.
Then one day I had a drink and ended up going on a 10 year bender. NO LIE!!!!!

Last edited:
Congratulations to ScottyD and everyone else keeping the monkey off their backs.

Lung cancer did many of my aunts and uncles on one side of the family. A horrible object lesson for a kid growing up.
Not everyone has the energy and courage to break an addiction on their own. Talking over things with someone else in the same boat can help a lot. Ultimately it is up to the person trying to quit . . . but we're here to help each other.

One of the guys at work had a funny method of quitting. Now, this is an extremely stubborn, "no rules" kind of guy. Insanely smart and well educated. Knew darn well what smoking could do. But really tense and needed to dope up on nicotene, I guess. On principal he rejected any kind of well-meaning advice, company-funded smoking cessation, and the like. Puffed away exactly ten feet from the building entrance.

One day someone noticed that he had not been going out for his puffs. "Oh, I didn't quit. I forgot to get cigarettes." He's been "forgetting to get cigarettes" for about five years.

I managed to have stayed away from the bottle for over 2 years now, and with help form some friends of Bill W. ;) But Nov. of 2011, after 20 years, I started smoking again! :( I've been working on trying to quit, went to classes at the V.A. hospital, and they gave me the nicotine gum. I've got it down to about 2-5 cigs per day, but just can't seem to break free of it. Guess I don't want it bad enough yet like I wanted to quit drinking. I'll be working on it!
Good job Dog! You're someone I can look as trying to emulate, at least to quit smoking and stay away from cpt. jack! :)
Thanks for the posting guys!

Dont pick up no matter what !

Understand your mindset , thinks jump off at work and my first thought is I need to step out for a smoke....

Today I stepped out and called Mike at Bay Area Rocketry instead.

Kenny

The desire to smoke will diminish as time goes on. When you think you want to smoke, remind yourself of how bad it smells, how expensive it is, and that it could kill you. Wait 10 minutes and the urge will go away. Remind yourself that you are now a non-smoker. Eventually those urges will be few and far between, just wait it out.

I have run tobacco cessation programs for 15 years. My Mom smokes and I felt it was a way to help others. I have never used tobacco more than once or twice and never really saw the draw.

I do think it would be a good thing to encourage rocket guys to quit. We need your knowledge to keep the hobby going.

Alcohol is another thing. Pick your poisons.

I'd tried other things in the past without success but this time Zyban did it for me. Stopped smoking about a month before xmas. I've been spending my smoke money on rockets ;)

You can do it !!!!!

That's really super!!

Krusty

CONGRATULATIONS! When I quit a pack a day at the rollover (Jan 2000), I saved the money I would have spent and used it to buy a motor at the anniversary (N2000!). Still smoke free 13 years later :)

Back