trackers-done to death?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fyrwrxz

latest photo
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah, yeah, I know-did the search, still undecided.
I have a Native American friend who hunts Falcons and I was over at his place a while ago and he showed me a tracker he had gotten from another hunter to fit on his bird. It was the size of a peanut maybe and had a long aerial attached to it so they can find thier birds if they roost in a tree. I know nothing about this sport and he didn't know where this other chap got the tracker except 'somewhere back East'
I like it becuse it looks like it will fit MD 29mm birds but my question really is: My rocket will be on the ground out in the desert-will this still work an/or do I need to get all complicated with GPS stuff? I don't like hauling a boatload of electronics out for simple alt shots and I mostly get 'em back after they come back from BVR. I currently have no tracker experience but the alts are getting higher and higher, so I think it's about time. The telemetrum seems a little too complex and/or expensive for what I need. What do you guys say? I have plenty of altimeters with dual deploy already. My club prez tracked a bird down 7 miles away-pretty impressive, but he also had a couple of grand in it already. (yeah -I know-more homework...)

https://www.walstonretrieval.com/section-1.htm

Had this system for 6 years, never lost a rocket yet. Got the 16 channel reciever and the 2438 transmitters. The transmitters are the size of a peanut in the shell! Ground range of the 2438 transmitter is 5 miles, 50 miles line of site. Tracked down 3 rockets one at a time after a drag race, I like!

Yes, I've been thinking about this. So this is what I have learned in the process so far.

The cost: depending on hardware and such, you are looking at $300 to $600 for this "active rocket insurance". If done right, it looks like there is a high-probability that you can find your rocket. Certainly "way more" likely than without one.

You can go two directions: dedicated search hardware (such as Comm-Spec or BRB GPS) or HAM-based RF/GPS solutions on the amateur radio bands (like BRB RDF Beacon).

I am chosing to go the HAM route, because the hardware for HAM HT can be used for other purposes (like talking to others for fun, or in an emergency).

Just my $0.02.

I know you are thoughtful guy, so you will figure out what works best for you at this stage.

I'd like to know what others think, too.

Greg

what is the advantage with the LL as compared with the comspec?

Size and weight.

The LL transmitters are about the diameter of a pencil, and maybe an inch long. The CommSpec transmitters are about the size of a 9 volt battery.

-Kevin

Just purchased a XLF 6 volt from L.L. Electronics the other day. Happy to post some pictures when it arrives.

I Based my purchase on what will work with our Clubs receivers. The Receivers are more expensive than the transmitters. Most folks in our club buy from Wildman or L.L. Electronics.
Exceptionallynaly good email communication with Lauren Lusksander-Fiepke of L.L. Electronics. They built a transmitter with a unique frequency that does not duplicate any already in use at our club.

Everything done via email and PayPal. They also take major credit cards.

Holy Cow! What I like is about $700; that's a few motors and/or some (2-3 ?) really nice C/F birds....
Thanks, guys, for taking the time out for an old fart playing catch up. I shoulda been doing this back in the 90's but never got around to it. Looks like I'm going to be real nosy on the flight line this weekend to see what the 'old men' are flying-lol!
I appreciate the links!

Just purchased a XLF 6 volt from L.L. Electronics the other day. Happy to post some pictures when it arrives.

I Based my purchase on what will work with our Clubs receivers. The Receivers are more expensive than the transmitters. Most folks in our club buy from Wildman or L.L. Electronics.
Exceptionallynaly good email communication with Lauren Lusksander-Fiepke of L.L. Electronics. They built a transmitter with a unique frequency that does not duplicate any already in use at our club.

Everything done via email and PayPal. They also take major credit cards.
Scott- very cool! I'm leaning towards them and want to see what the other cats have for recievers. I really like this company and sounds like what I eventually want. If I could ask- was that a custom order and about how much did it run? Do you have to tell them what freq?
Tahnks again to everybody who responded and Greg-appreciate the heads up on the Ham stuff.

For a $5 subway sanwich can get you CaveDuck with his high power binocs.

For min diameter think he tops out at a mile for reliable tracking .

Kenny

For a $5 subway sanwich can get you CaveDuck with his high power binocs.

For min diameter think he tops out at a mile for reliable tracking .

Kenny
For a nickel I can print a label in Spanish and hope somebody wants a reward! (and no- I'm NOT racist- they tend to drift that way over the border...) Wait- a sandwich maybe cheeper!
I'm trying for 7k after a test flight this weekend on the "Pimp Child" It may get ugly. Oh-sorry-it already is!

Ok, I'm late to this thread, but here's my words of advice...

As far as radio goes, my best experience so far has been with a comspec. The thing is built like a flippin tank. It has survived three crashes so far with no damage (though I had to re-solder on a coil that I broke off once). I have heard stories of ROC members tracking their rockets to holes in the playa, the transmitter more than 6" underground and still functioning.

That said, these are the smallest/best I know of, but I don't know how crashproof they are: https://marshallradio.com/north-american-falconry-products/north-american-falconry-transmitters

Some of the marshall's are rated for 40 miles LOS/9 grams with battery/40 day battery life/magnetic switch. Holy crap!And it's only $125.

A Telemini works great, though a 220 G boost can disable it in some manner or another...

Scott- very cool! I'm leaning towards them and want to see what the other cats have for receivers. I really like this company and sounds like what I eventually want. If I could ask- was that a custom order and about how much did it run? Do you have to tell them what freq?
Tahnks again to everybody who responded and Greg-appreciate the heads up on the Ham stuff.

Our club, Woosh (NAR 558) maintains a list of everyones tracker frequencies. The club also has two RR-400 receivers. The Wildman trackers as well as the L.L. Electronics transmitters work with these receivers. I plan on using the club receivers, cause I can't afford $400-800 for the receiver. :y:

I sent an email to [email protected]. I gave them the list of frequencies in-use at our club, and they made a transmitter with an unused freq. You could call it a custom order, but I get the feeling many/most of their transmitters are built/modified as needed. My cost with shipping was $162.20. Took them just a few days to get it shipped out. They were very nice to deal with.

Here's the way to go:

Get the cheap PR-100 receiver 250 bucks. Why....because it has the ability to use falcon freq's. [50 of them]. the more expensive unit PR-300 does NOT. Only the upper band 222-224.

The number dictates how many channels the unit can use. Pr-100 = 50 in the 219 band +50 in the uppers .https://www.com-spec.com/rocket/index.html
https://marshallradio.com/north-american-falconry-products/north-american-falconry-transmitters
PR 300 = 300 channels in the uppers only. No license needed for the falcon freq's Technically ya need one for the upper Freq.

So what says you...well true falcon trackers....the small ones all the other companies make are all in the lower 216-219 band . So if you get one of the more expensive Comp-Spec units, you are stuck using only their trackers.....nothing wrong with that....but they are not 219's or do they sell ANY falcon transmitters.

They do make a RR-400 which is not listed on site, you must call and ask for it. That one does 100 in the 219 band & 300 in the uppers. for 500 bucks.

So for 250 for receiver & 100 for tracker=350.00 you in business Or more if you wish to use another companies tracker. I love the Marshall Scout 125.00 LLC's in the 155-175 range. Also check for battery type.....those buggers can get very expensive and some are a pain to use. I prefer the 2032 nickle size coin types. cheap and can be found everywhere. Better bought in quantity, Comm-spec is 6.00 for 12 or 1.00 @.
Big box stores will get 5-6 bucks for a 2 pack, I just got 120 for 50 bucks buying bulk.

Battery life running continuous is 5-7 days for Comm-Spec & 40 days for Marshall. Those are the only ones I have experience with & yes they work that long....I stuck batteries in each and ran them till they died. 8 days in my CS and 42 in Marshall.[this is temp related, it was 70-95 when I did it, colder temps=less time]

The range on all their receivers are the same. You are paying more for the ability to use more channels

I use the RR-400 and both Comm-Spec and Marshall transmitters. You should always have at least 2 when attending large launches. There were 4 fliers using one of my freq & 3 one of the others at MWP & LDRS last year.

As I final note....If there is no hurry, the MissleWorks GPS should be flying in my rocket at LDRS this year..if all goes according to plan. Somewhere in the 150.00 range. Yeah I know.. too good to be true, but it is. Don't pepper me with questions about it, I won't answer them.

Picture 1.png

Picture 3.png

Picture 4.png

Picture 5.png

Last edited:
The Comm Spec is said to be a knock off of the LL Electronics design but offered at a lower price, however of a lesser quality. I spoke in length with the owner of LL last fall & he filled me in on it all. I forget the details, but he said something about the comm spec not having as sensitive of a tunning band or ability to keep out stray signals or other close frequencies. It still works well, as I have owned and used both. It also has more interference problems from things like your car running. I don't notice any interference from my car with the LL Electronics units. I always had to shut the car off with the Comm Spec. You could hear the alternater whine or something like that. Same with some powerlines/ transformers occasionaly.

Give him a call. He's very helpful. He said he's got a lot more time on his hands now with the advent of gps dog trackers. That technology really took a bite out of their business.

The Comm Spec is said to be a knock off of the LL Electronics design but offered at a lower price, however of a lesser quality. I spoke in length with the owner of LL last fall & he filled me in on it all. I forget the details, but he said something about the comm spec not having as sensitive of a tunning band or ability to keep out stray signals or other close frequencies. It still works well, as I have owned and used both. It also has more interference problems from things like your car running. I don't notice any interference from my car with the LL Electronics units. I always had to shut the car off with the Comm Spec. You could hear the alternater whine or something like that. Same with some powerlines/ transformers occasionaly.
Give him a call. He's very helpful. He said he's got a lot more time on his hands now with the advent of gps dog trackers. That technology really took a bite out of their business.

Scott-Good info! They've built a huge windfarm out by us and there are high tension lines runiing west and south of our test range. This bears looking into as any rejection of 'dynamo hum' would be a good thing!

The receiver I have from LL will pick up all of the comspec frequencies. I bought it because I could not get the comspec to pick up the LL tranmitters despite it being tuned to the same freq.

The receiver I have from LL will pick up all of the comspec frequencies. I bought it because I could not get the comspec to pick up the LL tranmitters despite it being tuned to the same freq.

I was concerned about this as well although I was concerned about Comm Spec to LL. I just bought an XLF 6 volt yesterday from LL. They asked me my type of receiver (RR-400) and desired frequency. I went with something in the 219 MHZ frequency. I don't know exact frequency yet till I get it. I gave them some ranges to avoid dupes with the club I fly with Woosh. According to LL after answering there question they said I will have no problems working with my Comm Spec receiver. LL was Very friendly on phone and seemed very responsive, after a couple of minutes of dialogue they said " let me guess rocketry use". I guess I'll find out in the next little bit,

For a nickel I can print a label in Spanish and hope somebody wants a reward! (and no- I'm NOT racist- they tend to drift that way over the border...) Wait- a sandwich maybe cheeper!
I'm trying for 7k after a test flight this weekend on the "Pimp Child" It may get ugly. Oh-sorry-it already is!

Way to funny but true.see you sat.

XLF 6v from LL Electronics.
View attachment 119983
Chad-like CJ referenced; what batteries does it use? And how much does it weigh loaded? I really like the looks of these. If the club has a reciever for these I'm going with this first and and then a ComSpec unit which I think Jack sells off his truck. I'm thinking Jim is right about having backup freq's and CW seems to like the LL product. Loki Scott chimed in with the 'dynamo hum' situation on the ComSpec so I'm leanng towards LL for that base unit. I keep checking the link Jeff posted to Walston, but it keeps coming back 'down' for whatever. Boy! I bet it'll be fun to get a rocket to go higher than 500 feet without tying fishing line to it so I get it back. I don't know what I'll do with all those nose cones I packed with depleted unarmium-maybe somebody will want a 3 pound 29mm Von Karmann??? No more bricks for payloads-WOOT!

Last edited:
Is the ll transmitter better than comspec. I have comspec stuff now but I like the size of the transmitter.

Latest posts

Back