K&S 2.64 Upscale Colonial Viper - Build Thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of the kids just informed me that a duck call fits nicely into the 29mm motor mount..... I wonder if I have two?

The build was obviously progressing far too well...

yeah... something went wrong!

I measured and cut out the shroud, made sure that it was good, dry fitted, rethought, measured and cut out 2nd version of shroud, dry fitted, etc, much better.....
Got 3M Super77 spray glue out, covered both surfaces, left to tack, fitted, step back.. OH WOW...
Left in front of fire (not too close) to dry. Next day, went to check.. perfect, except.. erm.. why did I stick the 1st version instead of the 2nd?? Sod it, go with it!!
Got out sanding sealer to seal the wood and paper.... forgot that paper shrinks.
Shroud still connected at the two 'wing' edges where it was CA'd, but the sealer wet the paper enough to debond the 77!!

Now I have to work around (well.. inside) the problem, methinks a little hobby epoxy (5 min) and old Mark 1, two handed jig for a few mins...

How d'ya like dem apples??

Wings are glued on... Filets have been done (not the best in the world). Everything that should be in there is in there for weight. Balance test showed that I needed a lot nose weight, no surprise there eh? Now the CG is 14.5" from the front for an unloaded stability of 2.98. Total weight with chutes, etc, etc but no motors... 5lb exactly.

Here are the projections

H225-WT 1400ft 10.5G 310ft/sec Static 2.23
I212-SS 2100ft 10.4G 391ft/sec Static 1.96
I236-BS 2500ft 10.9G 450ft/sec Static 2.0
H225-WT, 2xH54-WH-LB 3800ft 14.3G 512ft/sec Static 1.45 H54's light 2 seconds after launch detect
I236-BS, 2xH54-WH-LB 5200ft 10.3G 580ft/sec Static 1.33 All light on pad

DSCF0121_resize.jpg

DSCF0122_resize.jpg

DSCF0124_resize.jpg

DSCF0125_resize.jpg

DSCF0127_resize.jpg

Last edited:
I`m really chomping at the bit to get mine started after seeing the great work you are doing on yours......it`s going to be a looker on the flight line ,that`s a fact !

Nice work ,nice detail work !

Paul T

That looks awesome! :clap: Can't wait to see it painted and with stickershock decals on it!

Got some work started on mine last night/today..Got the motor mounts for the outboards built, got slots cut in the tubes and glassed all the tubes today over at CJ's..According to RockSim I am going to need to have 18 oz of nose weight:eyepop:

I mentioned in another build thread that this one had been shelved for a while. Reason? I came in one day and knocked the darn thing off the table. Top fin came off.. POP! Well it was a clean break, so to speak, so it got bonded back on with Glue All. If this is going to be a point of weakness, then the glue all should provide just enough to allow it to pop off if it comes in for a bad landing. I had seriously been thinking of doing this one TTW mount.. Hindsight is a great teacher!

Got it out in the sun today. Rustoleum Painters Touch Winter Grey! It is PERFECT! Excuse the somewhat sloppy filets. The last few builds have really been a learning experience!.. Good filets need a good epoxy, that's the lesson learned here. Devcon 5 Min wasn't the one to use. I got another set of hobby epoxy from my local store, storebrand, 30 min slow cure, added some balsa sawdust and shavings, did the two main wings with them, not too bad there.

DSCF0207_resize.jpg

DSCF0208_resize.jpg

DSCF0209_resize.jpg

DSCF0212_resize.jpg

Hindsight also just kicked me in the chest and told me that I forgot to drill the vent holes, etc.

Got it out in the sun today. Rustoleum Painters Touch Winter Grey! It is PERFECT!

Ok, that kinda answers a question I've been having. When I got my stickers from Stickershock, the printed parts were off-white / gray. I'm not a BG fan at all and never watched the show. So these things aren't really white?

Ok, that kinda answers a question I've been having. When I got my stickers from Stickershock, the printed parts were off-white / gray. I'm not a BG fan at all and never watched the show. So these things aren't really white?

Yes and No. Go back to the first post on this thread and there is a pic there that shows different possible colours. I like this one, it is more of a light airforce grey and works well with this build.

Getting there. I need to find some other bits n pieces, and drill the vent holes, but, nearly done.

Been playing with publisher and some of the extra decals.

DSCF0217_resize.jpg

DSCF0226_resize.jpg

Last edited:
What did you use for that shroud around the engines? Was it heavy card stock paper? Also, in that final pic, is that the light gray, or is it white now?

Last edited:
I finally got started on my kit this weekend. I have not written instructions.

Is there an example on the web of to build the nosecone and engine mount for this kit?

Thanks

Looks like I'm necromancing an old thread, but I got into HPR just as K&S was "getting out", to put it mildly. Does anyone have any details on this kit that might make it clonable? Mods to the nose, tube dimensions, etc? I never watched BattleStar Galactica, but was always intrigued by this kit.

I have my kit and never got around to starting it. I'd be happy to sell it if you like. PM me.

Looks like I'm necromancing an old thread, but I got into HPR just as K&S was "getting out", to put it mildly. Does anyone have any details on this kit that might make it clonable? Mods to the nose, tube dimensions, etc? I never watched BattleStar Galactica, but was always intrigued by this kit.

I have a 4". It was shipped with the Rocksim and build pics. You could scale to get to the 2.6" version.

I have a 4". It was shipped with the Rocksim and build pics. You could scale to get to the 2.6" version.

Would you be willing to post the file here? Might help at least a few of us out, not sure cvause ever got his build instructions from last summer...thanks!

Sore subject for a lot of people. I'm one of the unlucky ones that paid this guy and he skipped with my money. That kit looks great! Wish he woulda come thru. I got his Starfighter Combo and they are 2 of my favorite high power rockets in my fleet!

They were made up with Loc parts. The nose cone was a 2.6" cut off at an angle. The fins only hard part about cloning were laser cut 1/8 inch ply. Pretty flimsy for the required nose weight. I gave mine away.

well hogwash.... i noticed that this thread had been revived.... so i had to go and dig the rocket out..

Now to finish it

Back