FlisKits ACME Spitfire pictorial build

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckreef

Reaction score
I'm sure there are plenty of build threads on this one so I thought I would do a slightly different style of a build thread.

This will be a pictorial build thread. You should follow the supplied instruction manual closely and use this to clarify the build build process. I will try to follow the instructions step by step w/ one post per step. I will give each picture a caption. If there is an area I feel needs clarifying I will post a bit more. If I deviate from the instructions I will state so and hopefully why. Other then that this should follow the instructions very closely.

Lets begin w/ Step 1

Mark an engine casing 1/4"
Step01a.jpg

Last edited:
Step 2

Mark brush for glue area using tape.
Step02a.jpg

Ready to apply glue.
Step02b.jpg

Apply glue to appropriate area using tape as a guide.
Step02c.jpg

Ready to push engine block into tube.
Step02d.jpg

Push engine block into tube up to the line using previously marked on engine casing. Pull engine casing back out quickly.
Step02e.jpg

Last edited:
Step 3

Mark tube.
Step03a.jpg

Cut small slit on mark.
Step03b.jpg

Install engine hook w/ tape and glue.
Step03c.jpg

Step 4

Cutout Section 1 cutting guide
Step04a.jpg

Wrap around BT w/ bottom of cutout on bottom of BT. Make a red and black mark where specified.
Step04b.jpg

The cutting guide didn't exactly match so I split the difference for the black mark.
Step04c.jpg

Remove the cutting guide and extend both the red and black lines the length of the BT.
Step04d.jpg

These need to be straight and accurate.
Step04e.jpg

Step 5

Install guide back on tube and realign marks. Mark BT along top of guide. Remove guide and cut at mark.

Keep in mind your cut will be angled 1/4 turn in , 1/4 turn out, 1/4 turn in, 1/4 turn out etc....... This will all make sense once you start cutting the tube. Keep that in mind so your blade angle is correct.
Step05a.jpg

Once cut I lightly sanded the cut end. Make sure you maintain the BT angle.
Step05b.jpg

Label w/ section # and top/bottom orientation.
Step05c.jpg

Step 6

Cut out remaining cutting guides.
Step06a.jpg

Pre-cut masking tape to help hold cutting guides.
Step06b.jpg

Wrap cutting guide 2 around BT. I aligned the red mark (not the black mark.) Make sure bottom of guide goes to bottom of BT.
Mark and cutout section 2 just like section 1. Once complete continue with guide/section 3 and 4 in the same manor. Make sure you do this in the proper order and make sure the bottom of guide is to the bottom of BT aligning red mark along the way.
Step06c.jpg

Properly mark each section as you go along.
Step06d.jpg

Sections 2 - 4 cut, lightly sanded and ready to be installed.
Step06e.jpg

Step 7

With a pencil mark your centering rings per the instructions.
Step07a.jpg

Well it's getting late so this is about all I have in me for tonight. This also happens to be a good place to stop.

A VERY good (and unique) approach to a build thread. I love it :) Am also interested in your own reaction to the build and the kit in general.

Keep us posted!

Step 8

Mark MMT 1/2"
Step08a.jpg

On Ring #1 cut slot for engine hook opposite the ring alignment marks.
Step08b.jpg

Glue Ring #1 onto MMT where marked.
I used Ring #2 and some masking tape to temporarily help hold this in alignment while waiting for glue to dry.
DO NOT GLUE Ring #2. :madnote:
Step08c.jpg

Twiddling thumbs waiting for glue to dry enough to proceed. :pop:

A VERY good (and unique) approach to a build thread. I love it :) Am also interested in your own reaction to the build and the kit in general.

Keep us posted!

Thank you. I can't wait to get her finished. If you see me make any major mistakes along the way please let me know ASAP so I can fix them before it's too late.

Step 9

It's at this point I strongly suggest flippin your wife a $100 and have her take the kids out for dinner and a movie. :facepalm: Oh and don't forget to take your patience pill.

In BTS1 (Body Tube Section 1) I carefully extended the red line along the inside of the BT
Step09a.jpg

Fit MMT assembly into bottom of BTS1. Engine hook should be flush with the bottom and get the alignment mark to align with the red line.
Step09b.jpg

DO NOT GLUE :madnote:

Step 10

This step is where you practice your alignment and your ability to properly install the Centering Rings.

Slip Ring #2 down the MMT and install it into the top of BTS1.
Align w/ the red line and Ring #2 should conform to the angle of the tube. Also Ring #2 should be installed so 1/2 of the Ring is sticking out of the tube.
Try not to look like this little guy :rant: I said this was only a practice step
Step10a.jpg

I used a 1/8" launch rod to help w/ the alignment per the instructions.
Step10b.jpg

DO NOT GLUE :madnote:

Last edited:
Step 11 part 1

This is where I deviate from the instruction just a little bit. Now that your feeling pretty good about yourself, you have a good idea how this whole system/alignment works and you have demonstrated the ability to remain in control (if not that's why the wife and kids were sent away) --- Take it all apart :bang:

I found it was easier to adjust Ring #2 if you can get your finger into the MMT hole.
Anyway once again install Ring #2 in the top of BTS1. Align with the red mark. Conform to the angle of the tube. Make sure 1/2 of the ring is sticking out. Once you get it right -- stop messing with it otherwise you won't finish before the wife and kids get home :roll:
Step11a.jpg

Also by doing this deviation I was able to glue Ring #2 in place from the inside.
Step11b.jpg

I will wait for that glue to dry before moving onto Step 11 part 2.

Last edited:
Step 11 part 2

Carefully insert MMT assembly up through the bottom and align with red marks as before, making engine hook flush to the bottom.
Confirm alignment w/ 1/8" rod.
Step11c.jpg

Carefully remove rod and glue bottom Ring #1 to BTS1
Step11d.jpg

Glue top of Ring #2 to MMT assembly.
Step11e.jpg

:clap: Now that the 1st large hurdle is completed and I have a good grasp on how to accomplish this task I feel the other BT Sections should go together much easier. There is just a little bit of a learning curve on this build -- but if it was easy it wouldn't be a Skill Level 3.

Step 13

Yes I skipped Step 12, we will get back to that shortly. I figured while waiting for Step 11 glue to dry, I might as well get Step 13's glue in the drying process as well.

I put a piece of wax paper down so if any glue seeps through it won't stick to my work surface.
Attach Ring #6 w/ a bead of glue to the bottom of BTS1
Step13a.jpg

Smoothed bead of glue into a nice fillet w/ my pinky (Should have done this for Ring #2 to MMT assembly.)
Step13b.jpg

Step 11 part 1

This is where I deviate from the instruction just a little bit. Now that your feeling pretty good about yourself, you have a good idea how this whole system/alignment works and you have demonstrated the ability to remain in control (if not that's why the wife and kids were sent away) --- Take it all apart :bang:

I found it was easier to adjust Ring #2 if you can get your finger into the MMT hole.
Anyway once again install Ring #2 in the top of BTS1. Align with the red mark. Conform to the angle of the tube. Make sure 1/2 of the ring is sticking out. Once you get it right -- stop messing with it otherwise you won't finish before the wife and kids get home :roll:
View attachment 119700

Also by doing this deviation I was able to glue Ring #2 in place from the inside.
View attachment 119701

I will wait for that glue to dry before moving onto Step 11 part 2.

Hey, that's how I did my upscale! Great pics, keep 'em coming ;).

Back to Step 12

By skipping step 12 earlier and coming back to it --- It allowed me to cut out the bottom shroud, tape it together, and give it a quick test fit.
Step12a.jpg

All was good with the test fit so I glued it together.
Step12b.jpg

Back on track w/ Step 14

Fit shroud on BTS1. Fin 3 aligned w/ red line.
Step14a.jpg

Which makes fin 1 aligned w/ black line.
There is extra BT showing because BTS1 top is cut at an angle.
Step14b.jpg

Drew a line inside shroud at BTS1 bottom.
Step14c.jpg

Drew a line around top of shroud on BTS1
Step14d.jpg

These 2 lines are used as your glue lines.
Step14e.jpg

Step 15

I deviate from the instructions on this step. The instructions had you cut off the extra, I folded and glued it under.

I marked and cut at 3/8" intervals inside bottom of shroud.
Step15a.jpg

Doing 2 tabs at a time, I folded them over and glued them in place. I used a small piece of masking tape to temporarily hold them in place.
Step15b.jpg

I figured most flights result in the rocket landing at a slight angle on the bottom of the BT. I thought this might strengthen it up a little. Was this necessary?? Probably not.

Unfortunately I have to go to work tomorrow. This seems like a good place to stop for now. I'll be back later.

Last edited:
It's coming along nicely! I am interested to see how it turns out. The ACME is by far one of my favorites!

It's coming along nicely! I am interested to see how it turns out. The ACME is by far one of my favorites!

TY FatBoy -- trucking along as fast as possible (AFAP). After getting through the big hurdle I'm feeling much better about the build.

Step 17 --- will come back to Step 16 next.

Read all the instructions carefully for the rest of the BT sections. :madnote:
The Centering Ring alignment marks and BT lines are swapped around red --> black and so on. Pay attention.

Test fit BT sections and centering rings for each section before proceeding.
I had to sand the bottom of BTS2 in order for it to fit properly.

Install Centering Ring #3 on Top of BTS2.
No pictures for this section as they would look just like Step 11 part 1.

Last edited:
Step 16

Install BTS2 onto assembly -- make sure you read the instructions to get the proper colored lines to match up. I double checked the alignment using 1/8" rod.

I used a small bead of glue on the top of the Centering Ring and inside the adjoining BT.
Step16a.jpg

Install the BT section following instructions closely.
I put a thin bead of glue around the BT's joint which doubled as the bottom shroud sealing joint. This was suppose to happen in Step 14 but I knew I could kill two birds with one stone :bangbang: if I waited till now.
Install a fillet on top of centering ring where it meets the MMT.
Step16b.jpg

My son walked up to the build at this point and told me "It looks like crap Daddy" :facepalm: I thanked him since the worse it looks the better I built it. :headbang:

Last edited:
Step 19 then Step 18

These steps are more of the same except you're now working w/ BTS3 and Ring #4. Follow the Instruction to get your marks/lines aligned properly. At this point in the build if the alignment lines don't match up exactly, split the difference between the 2 lines.

When these 2 steps are complete you're feeling pretty good about yourself and confidence is growing :grin:
Step19a.jpg

There does seem to be a method to the madness of this build and I think I have it figured out :gavel:

Last edited:
Back