Aerotech Releases New Single Use motors!

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aksrockets

Now with 8% more aluminum
Reaction score
Here is what AT just posted on FB:
Aerotech said:
AeroTech Unveils Pro-SU Motor Line at NARCON Convention in Santa Clara, CA

AeroTech is introducing a game-changing new product for the high power rocketry market, the Pro-SU line of single use motors.

Pro-SU motors are different from previous and existing reloadable and single use motors in the following important ways:

• No hardware to buy, load, clean or lose

• High strength, light weight filament-wound fiberglass casing

• Lighter weight casing means higher performance

• User adjustable time delays in 2 second increments

• User adjustable ejection charge- no more "one size fits all" charges

• High reliability due to less potential for user error while retaining superior customer adjustability

• Low cost

The time delay of Pro-SU motors is shortened using AeroTech's new Universal Delay Adjustment Tool, which will be provided free of charge to each customer who purchases one or more Pro-SU motors (one free tool to a customer, please).

Pro-SU motors feature a glass-reinforced composite phenolic nozzle, a new molded plastic bulkhead and ship with a FirstFire igniter and bondable thrust ring.

Motor performance data including a sample time-thrust curve are printed on the motor label.

Pro-SU motors are packaged in a distinctive yellow shipping tube with AeroTech logos printed on the outer spiral wrapping, and the same motor label applied to the outside of the tube for easy identification and performance evaluation by the flyer. Caps on the ends of the tube are applied externally and are easier to remove than internal caps that are stapled to the tube.

The Pro-SU line will be initially produced in 29, 38 and 54mm diameters. The first Pro-SU motor is the 29mm H135W-14A, a 226 N-sec design using AeroTech's ever-popular White Lightning propellant. This motor is already TRA certified and California State Fire Marshal approved, and can be purchased by certified flyers attending NARCON from Mike Gentile of Bay Area Rocketry. The H135W-14A is competitively priced with existing reload kits at $29.99 each retail.

Other Pro-SU motors under development include the 38mm I140W-14A and J270W-14A, which will be submitted for certification shortly. These motors are perfect for Level 1 & 2 certifications and general sport flying and will also be priced competitively with similar reloads.

The Pro-SU motor design and the Universal Delay Adjustment Tool are patent pending.

Pro-SU ushers in a new era of ease of use, low cost and spectacular performance to the modern hobby rocketry market.

Pro-SU: "When you just want to fly!"
644460_10151465311443955_585140256_n.jpg

Discuss. :)

Alex

Great for clustering or air starts saving on extra hardware.

I don't like the fact that you have to bond on a thrust ring for every non minimum diameter flight.

Except for a newbie who doesn't understand CTI or the case system seems like a waste.

I probably won't be flying one anytime soon.

Curious if the case glows during flying? And if the fiberglass casing can be reused for cheap EX?

Wow, the H135 sounds like a great motor for L1 certs. Pick up an Estes ProII kit at HL with the 40% discount coupon, and you can cert for under $100...

I'm gonna buy and try one. Can't hurt, they look cool, and I LOVE APCP.

An ultra-lightweight 29mm 226NS H that burns for 2+ seconds? ...H record, anyone?

Let alone an I170 (is it's also close to full I) and a J270 in 38mm?

This is seriously cool. And they're not overly expensive, unlike the old aerotech SU cases.

I knew I should have gone to NARCON!
More motors is always a good thing

Welcome to the 80's, when all we had was SU motors. The price is about the same as they were when the reloadables came out and everyone went to those. $0.10/Nsec
I liked SU better than reloadables.

Just wonerding how do we adjust the delay with out removing the forward closure? Than is it glued back in or what holds it in? If all goes well for the new motors this should be a great new product for AT. Like they are saying no hardwear to buy.
gp

I don't like the fact that you have to bond on a thrust ring for every non minimum diameter flight.
A little masking tape will work fine.

I'd love to see the return of old-school long-burn motors like the H45, I65 and J145.

When we used to use SU the delay was adjusted, with just a drill not a fancy tool, through the hole in the delay well. Dump the powder, drill to required time by hand, replace powder.

M

+1

I wonder what the geometry is?

Welcome to the 80's, when all we had was SU motors. The price is about the same as they were when the reloadables came out and everyone went to those. $0.10/Nsec
I liked SU better than reloadables.

As I posted in the vendor forum. Choice is good!! But a CTI H255 is the same n/s for $26USD. Not gonna argue about the investment in a Pro29 starter set. Fly enough, you'll make that back. CTI is almost, but not quite, an SU. The adjustable powder is something I'd love to see CTI address.

Otherwise, it seem to me, as has been said, welcome to the 90's! :wink:
But again, let me state, lest I be misunderstood, this is great! Choice is good! I did my L1 on an Aerotech H124-10 SU.

If they put New Blue Thunder in some of these, I will buy so many...

Just wonerding how do we adjust the delay with out removing the forward closure? Than is it glued back in or what holds it in? If all goes well for the new motors this should be a great new product for AT. Like they are saying no hardwear to buy.
gp

You dont have to remove anything. In fact you cant,it is SINGLE use,meaning closures are permanently attached. You drill thru the top,easy as pie. Did it hundreds of times in the old days,before those fancy smanchy reloadables!!!

This is awesome. Just think clusters, minium dia and two stage rockets. You dont have to worry about losing your hardware on them high altitude attempts. I like it. :headbang:

TA

This is awesome. Just think clusters, minium dia and two stage rockets. You dont have to worry about losing your hardware on them high altitude attempts. I like it. :headbang:

TA

Or high acceleration attempts.

A lower mass version of the I1299 would be SO CRAZY.

Or high acceleration attempts.

A lower mass version of the I1299 would be SO CRAZY.

you ever get your rocket back? This August I will burn one. I don't think, however I'm probably wrong, that a SU case would withstand the pressure in that quick of a burn. It sure would be crazy though!!!
Ken

you ever get your rocket back? This August I will burn one. I don't think, however I'm probably wrong, that a SU case would withstand the pressure in that quick of a burn. It sure would be crazy though!!!
Ken

Burn rate is not necessarily proportional to pressure. The hole in the back is made larger to compensate. And I'm pretty sure that with that high of a burnrate, the manufacturers sometimes actually make the pressure lower than normal reloads to reduce the risk of failure, like the CTI N10000 (I read that somewhere.).

I'll see if it's around when I go back to Lucerne for the next launch.

Burn rate is not necessarily proportional to pressure. The hole in the back is made larger to compensate. And I'm pretty sure that with that high of a burnrate, the manufacturers sometimes actually make the pressure lower than normal reloads to reduce the risk of failure, like the CTI N10000 (I read that somewhere.).

I'll see if it's around when I go back to Lucerne for the next launch.

That does make sense. I looked at the nozzle on mine. If the orifice were small, I guess that would really do it in then!
-Ken

Not sure why they chose to use "pro" for the name, when CTI'S motors are pro xx. Either way I will be flying a few of these.

^^-- obviously because these are a response to the increasing popularity of CTI, before even thinking about the name.

I have one from the bay area rocketry table at NARCON and plan to fly it at Snow Ranch next weekend, weather permitting. It will be a good motor for the Athena 3 that already has already eaten 4 CTI 29mm.

Will the new motor work with Aeropack motor retainers? I hope so most of my rockets have this type of retainer.
gp

Will the new motor work with Aeropack motor retainers?
The thrust ring looks to be identical to that used for the Econojet motors (cardboard ring intended to be CAed to the motor). I usually just use masking tape and toss the ring. Either way it should work fine with an Aeropack.

^^-- obviously because these are a response to the increasing popularity of CTI, before even thinking about the name.

Well yea, but I would like to see them come out with something new for a change. Instead of copying CTI . Looks like they finally did but then slapped an already used name on it.

Back