Dr. Zooch Vostok build thread

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NJRick

Saturn 1b nut
TRF Supporter
Reaction score
OK....after Christmas I decided to buy Dr. Zooch's Vostok....this looks like a really neat little kit and I wanted to try a shot at her. I hope to add some additional details to her along the way. I have to give a big thanks to Mushtang for his AWESOME build thread on this kit. Mushtang's thread is attached here (I hope) and I highly recommend it. I think you will find Mushtang's threads to be very thorough, always well thought out and always helpful. Thanks Mushtang!!https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?31660-Dr-Zooch-Vostok-Build-FINISHED!

I also recommend HCMbanjo's Soyuz build thread too. Both threads will be a big help in making this rocket kit!https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?5213-Dr-Zooch-R-7-Soyuz-Build-Thread What Chris is able to do with a piece of card stock is nothing short of amazing!

OK...lets get started: here is the box with the nifty Vostok label. The completed rocket should fit back in the box.
000_0358a.jpg

always a good move to open the box and make sure you have all of the required parts...as usual, this kit has everything! Being a pack rat, I save everything that I don't use. I switched the provided yellow Zooch chute with a Communist red chute that came with one of my recent Zooch Lifting Bodies....I used an Estes chute on that kit but I saved this glorious red chute knowing some day I would make his Vostok! There are also some other parts that I did not use on those Lifting Bodies that I intend to use with this kit.
000_0361a.jpg

There is nothing more fun than looking at a pile of tubes, thread, uncut balsa and stuff sitting in front of you and the thought of turning these bits into a flying rocket! Its just fun!:grin: As you can see, there is a whole lot of fun packed into this $25 little package. Worth every penny!!

I hope to keep this build as current as I can....I want to start making copies of the provided wraps for the transitions and the boosters and I want to read there instructions cover to cover. I have spent the past couple of weeks looking at stuff for the R-7 booster and the Vostok. There really isn't as much out there as I would expect and of course, most of it is the same picture posted over and over. I am hoping to make this booster with the tanks frosted as if she was ready to launch and I expect that will add a layer of complexity...but I think it will be worth it! I think I know where I want to go with the Vostok capsule so that is where I will probably start out. We'll take our time with this one and see what can be done? sounds like a plan!

Last edited:
oh...before I forget...Dr. Zooch made a video for this kit..so I am going to attach it to this thread....I like Dr. Zooch's warped sense of humor...kinda like my own. I have to warn you the music he uses in this video can become addictive...:facepalm:

[video=youtube;KHYupFiYB_Q]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHYupFiYB_Q[/video]

OK....in the words of Art Carney...Hello ball!

[video=youtube;tvN8BNCdeN8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tvN8BNCdeN8[/video]

this little ball is our Vostok capsule...now..I am starting way out of order here with the capsule..but I think we can make this little guy look pretty cool. I have some ideas for it so I thought I would start with it.

000_0363a.jpg

I had enough time to get an initial coat of filler on all of the required parts
000_0365a.jpg

and the first sand is done...we'll smooth these up nicely before we are done...
000_0366a.jpg

OK....after Christmas I decided to buy Dr. Zooch's Vostok....this looks like a really neat little kit and I wanted to try a shot at her. I hope to add some additional details to her along the way. I have to give a big thanks to Mushtang for his AWESOME build thread on this kit. Mushtang's thread is attached here (I hope) and I highly recommend it. I think you will find Mushtang's threads to be very thorough, always well thought out and always helpful. Thanks Mushtang!!https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?31660-Dr-Zooch-Vostok-Build-FINISHED!

I also recommend HCMbanjo's Soyuz build thread too. Both threads will be a big help in making this rocket kit!https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?5213-Dr-Zooch-R-7-Soyuz-Build-Thread What Chris is able to do with a piece of card stock is nothing short of amazing!

OK...lets get started: here is the box with the nifty Vostok label. The completed rocket should fit back in the box.
View attachment 118720

always a good move to open the box and make sure you have all of the required parts...as usual, this kit has everything! Being a pack rat, I save everything that I don't use. I switched the provided yellow Zooch chute with a Communist red chute that came with one of my recent Zooch Lifting Bodies....I used an Estes chute on that kit but I saved this glorious red chute knowing some day I would make his Vostok! There are also some other parts that I did not use on those Lifting Bodies that I intend to use with this kit.
View attachment 118721

There is nothing more fun than looking at a pile of tubes, thread, uncut balsa and stuff sitting in front of you and the thought of turning these bits into a flying rocket! Its just fun!:grin: As you can see, there is a whole lot of fun packed into this $25 little package. Worth every penny!!

I hope to keep this build as current as I can....I want to start making copies of the provided wraps for the transitions and the boosters and I want to read there instructions cover to cover. I have spent the past couple of weeks looking at stuff for the R-7 booster and the Vostok. There really isn't as much out there as I would expect and of course, most of it is the same picture posted over and over. I am hoping to make this booster with the tanks frosted as if she was ready to launch and I expect that will add a layer of complexity...but I think it will be worth it! I think I know where I want to go with the Vostok capsule so that is where I will probably start out. We'll take our time with this one and see what can be done? sounds like a plan!

KEWL... looking forward to your rendition here Rick!

FWIW, I've saved one of those "Macy's" plastic bags with the huge red star on it for my "glorious Soviet parachute"... LOL:)

Later! OL JR :)

PS. Ever hear the story Wes tells about those red parachutes?? He was searching around for plastic garbage bags to make parachutes-- colored ones are especially hard to get, and the white ones he had for awhile were eliciting gripes from kitbuilders who wanted a chute that was easier to see than white is... Somewhere along the line he came upon some colored trash bags and bought up a mess of them for a supply-- so much so that he started using them up around the house... one of the bags he used turned out to be RED...

Turns out the garbage men won't pick up trash in a red bag-- those are "verboten" as it turns out "red" trash bags are a color coded thing for trash guys not to mess with it, because that color is reserved for INFECTIOUS MEDICAL WASTE like used needles and stuff... he had to "rebag" the trash in a neutral color bag before the trash guys would haul it off...

Better to stick with the orange "Halloween pumpkin" bags... LOL:) (or checkered plastic tableclothes from the dollar store...<for parachutes, not for trash... LOL>)

Last edited:
Thank Luke...I will have fun with this Vostok. so far it looks like a neat kit!
I never heard Wes's red trash bag issue...but come to think of it, I was wondering just where the heck he got red trash bags...they do look GLORIOUS though!! I think your trash bag with the red star will be PERFECT for this kit! Gagarin love it!

KEWL... looking forward to your rendition here Rick!

FWIW, I've saved one of those "Macy's" plastic bags with the huge red star on it for my "glorious Soviet parachute"... LOL:)

PS. Ever hear the story Wes tells about those red parachutes?? He was searching around for plastic garbage bags to make parachutes-- colored ones are especially hard to get, and the white ones he had for awhile were eliciting gripes from kitbuilders who wanted a chute that was easier to see than white is... Somewhere along the line he came upon some colored trash bags and bought up a mess of them for a supply-- so much so that he started using them up around the house... one of the bags he used turned out to be RED...

Turns out the garbage men won't pick up trash in a red bag-- those are "verboten" as it turns out "red" trash bags are a color coded thing for trash guys not to mess with it, because that color is reserved for INFECTIOUS MEDICAL WASTE like used needles and stuff... he had to "rebag" the trash in a neutral color bag before the trash guys would haul it off...

Better to stick with the orange "Halloween pumpkin" bags... LOL:) (or checkered plastic tableclothes from the dollar store...<for parachutes, not for trash... LOL>)

OK....last night I put a couple of coats of CWF on the Vostok capsule..its a little ball made of a hardwood of sorts and sanded it smooth. The instructions say to paint the capsule silver but I wanted to play around with it a bit and try to add some detail to it...so....I decided I would try to carve a hatch into this little guy and take it from there. Last year I bought a drafters marking guide in an ill fated attempt to try to draw the LM adapter panel lines on my Zooch 1b....ummm...it didn't work out very well :eyeroll: I kept the thing though figuring I would find some use for it some day....so...it has a number of circles and the Vostok's hatch is circular...so I broke out my long lost scribing tool and thought I would give it a shot.
000_0374a.jpg

then using the template, I gently scribed the circular shape into the hardwood...its not perfect...but at this scale, it close enough
000_0367a.jpg000_0368a.jpg

Last edited:
I wanted to add some of the radio antennas that went on the Vostok...I can't add all of them because I don't think they will fit in...but the Vostok had two curved antennas on either side of the main hatch...so...I took the left over wire that Dr. Zooch provided in my last Saturn 1b build and decided to use that.
000_0375a.jpg

I cut the antenna into one inch lengths and then used one of the cocktail toothpicks I bought at the dollar store as a guide to bend them into shape
000_0377.jpg

its just a matter of gently rolling the wire around the toothpick and it gives you a nice rounded shape. There are 2 of these antennas and I kept the left over length for a long straight antenna that will also be added..I think I will have to trim that long antenna at some point because I don't think it will fit in the fairing when its time to mount the Vostok to the upper stage...but we'll cross that bridge when we get there and have some fun with it...
000_0378a.jpg000_0379a.jpg

I am going to paint this capsule silver tonight and tomorrow I'll try to add the antenna and put some detail on the hatch. In all likelihood, none of this detail will show...but...for some strange reason, doing stuff like this is relaxing to me and I enjoy it.

One of the things I noticed in doing a little bit of research on this capsule, some of the pictures of the Vostok show the capsule having a silver finish and others show it having white finish with a hexagonal design covering the entire capsule. I don't know if that is the base structure and the silver coating represents a heat shield of some sort or vice versa...but...silver works for me!

Last edited:
I wanted to add some of the radio antennas that went on the Vostok...I can't add all of them because I don't think they will fit in...but the Vostok had two curved antennas on either side of the main hatch...so...I took the left over wire that Dr. Zooch provided in my last Saturn 1b build and decided to use that.
View attachment 118829

I cut the antenna into one inch lengths and then used one of the cocktail toothpicks I bought at the dollar store as a guide to bend them into shape
View attachment 118830

its just a matter of gently rolling the wire around the toothpick and it gives you a nice rounded shape. There are 2 of these antennas and I kept the left over length for a long straight antenna that will also be added..I think I will have to trim that long antenna at some point because I don't think it will fit in the fairing when its time to mount the Vostok to the upper stage...but we'll cross that bridge when we get there and have some fun with it...
View attachment 118831View attachment 118832

I am going to paint this capsule silver tonight and tomorrow I'll try to add the antenna and put some detail on the hatch. In all likelihood, none of this detail will show...but...for some strange reason, doing stuff like this is relaxing to me and I enjoy it.

One of the things I noticed in doing a little bit of research on this capsule, some of the pictures of the Vostok show the capsule having a silver finish and others show it having white finish with a hexagonal design covering the entire capsule. I don't know if that is the base structure and the silver coating represents a heat shield of some sort or vice versa...but...silver works for me!

I'm not sure exactly how the heat shield was done on the Vostok (and the Voskhod, which was basically just an interior rework of the same basic Vostok capsule, with improved life support equipment and power systems in the aggregate compartment (roughly translated= service module). I DO know that the entire outer surface of the Vostok was covered with ablative heat shielding material. I suppose it was broadly similar to that used by the Mercury, Gemini, and later Apollo capsules (a type of epoxy resin ablator.) There were TWO hatches in the sides of the Vostok-- one for the ingress/egress ejection seat of the cosmonaut, and another on the opposite side for the parachute compartment. Naturally only the ingress/egress hatch is accessible to the outside opening in the payload shroud... (the other was closed up during the vehicle completion and testing before integrating it onto the launch vehicle).

The hexagonal pattern might be a result of the application of the ablator, I don't know. If there's photographic evidence of the exterior of the completed capsule showing it, then that's probably what it is. If it's a graphic of the capsule someone has made, then it's quite probably 'imaginary' or COULD refer to the actual construction, but which is not visible in photographs...

Interestingly enough, I remember reading that the USSR's first "ablative" heat shield (for experiments to protect ICBM warheads during reentry) was constructed from PLYWOOD.... that's right... plywood... :) (course we used cork on the outside of the Apollo BPC and in strategic areas of various rockets as an ablator-- it chars slowly and is an excellent insulator, and is lightweight... I suppose the Russians used plywood for the same reasons).

Hey Rick! Glad you're building this one, I'll definitely be following along. You've already surpassed me and my build with the details you're going for. I can't wait to see what else you do to it.

Great job so far. And as Luke would almost say, Keep Up The Good Work!

I am learning a bit about this Vostok during this build...its actually smaller than I thought it was in real life...and no matter what, you have to tip your hats to guys like Gagarin who got into this thing and flew it...at the end of the day, in 1961, you are basically climbing into the nose cone of an ICBM...its kinda neat in its own way....and to do 17 orbits on the second flight! we didn't match that until Gordo went up for a day...

I'm not sure exactly how the heat shield was done on the Vostok (and the Voskhod, which was basically just an interior rework of the same basic Vostok capsule, with improved life support equipment and power systems in the aggregate compartment (roughly translated= service module). I DO know that the entire outer surface of the Vostok was covered with ablative heat shielding material. I suppose it was broadly similar to that used by the Mercury, Gemini, and later Apollo capsules (a type of epoxy resin ablator.) There were TWO hatches in the sides of the Vostok-- one for the ingress/egress ejection seat of the cosmonaut, and another on the opposite side for the parachute compartment. Naturally only the ingress/egress hatch is accessible to the outside opening in the payload shroud... (the other was closed up during the vehicle completion and testing before integrating it onto the launch vehicle).

The hexagonal pattern might be a result of the application of the ablator, I don't know. If there's photographic evidence of the exterior of the completed capsule showing it, then that's probably what it is. If it's a graphic of the capsule someone has made, then it's quite probably 'imaginary' or COULD refer to the actual construction, but which is not visible in photographs...

Interestingly enough, I remember reading that the USSR's first "ablative" heat shield (for experiments to protect ICBM warheads during reentry) was constructed from PLYWOOD.... that's right... plywood... :) (course we used cork on the outside of the Apollo BPC and in strategic areas of various rockets as an ablator-- it chars slowly and is an excellent insulator, and is lightweight... I suppose the Russians used plywood for the same reasons).

thanks Mushtang! its a neat little kit and I am having fun with it...I wanted to just see what I could do with the Vostok...I am not sure how much if any of it you will see through that hole in the side of the booster they cut out for it...but I figured I would play around with it and see what i could do...its pretty small stuff up here!.

Hey Rick! Glad you're building this one, I'll definitely be following along. You've already surpassed me and my build with the details you're going for. I can't wait to see what else you do to it.

Great job so far. And as Luke would almost say, Keep Up The Good Work!

OK....there really aren't a lot of pictures out on the Vostok...but I thought this one was helpful and it shows what appear to be some sort of black strap that wrap around the capsule so I thought I would start with those.
000_0380a.jpg

at first I tried to cut small strips of black decal to make these straps..but that didn't work that well so I went back to my small pin strip tape and used a 2" strip of 1/32 black pin stripe
000_0392a.jpg

I wrapped 2 strips of tape to try to replicate these straps...I then tried to put some hatch detail on as well. next I wanted to attach my antennas so this blurred photograph is a tiny drill bit that I have up here...I used these back in the day to hollow out the machine gun barrels on my WWII fighters
000_0399a.jpg

its a simple process of slowly turning the bit between your fingers to drill a small hole in which to place the antennas
000_0400a.jpg

and here is my humble attempt to make a Dr. Zooch Vostok capsule....I still have some touch up to do with her and I have to burnish a little of the hatch tape down...but I think it looks neat...what do you guys think?
000_0401a.jpg000_0407a.jpg000_0414a.jpg

OK....there really aren't a lot of pictures out on the Vostok...but I thought this one was helpful and it shows what appear to be some sort of black strap that wrap around the capsule so I thought I would start with those.
View attachment 118972

at first I tried to cut small strips of black decal to make these straps..but that didn't work that well so I went back to my small pin strip tape and used a 2" strip of 1/32 black pin stripe
View attachment 118973

I wrapped 2 strips of tape to try to replicate these straps...I then tried to put some hatch detail on as well. next I wanted to attach my antennas so this blurred photograph is a tiny drill bit that I have up here...I used these back in the day to hollow out the machine gun barrels on my WWII fighters
View attachment 118975

its a simple process of slowly turning the bit between your fingers to drill a small hole in which to place the antennas
View attachment 118976

IIRC, tiny straps= metal straps that held the descent apparatus (capsule) onto the aggregate compartment (service module/retro pack).

Hope you don't mind, but I've been reading Asif Siddiqi's voluminous tome on the Soviet space program in two parts-- "Sputnik and the Soviet Space Challenge" and the second half, "The Soviet Space Race with Apollo"... both come in at right around 500 pages, in VERY small print, with COPIOUS footnotes (almost as many references as a law book!) They are EXTREMELY detailed...

Did you know that one of Korolev's original ideas to recover the Vostok would have used HELICOPTER recovery (deploying rotor blades at altitude after reentry and autorotating in...)?? Of course parachutes were what was eventually used. Problem was, due to the orbital mechanics limitations and the desire to land on Soviet territory to prevent Western spies from stealing their superior Soviet technology, the capsules had to land on dry land... which even under a parachute would be absolutely bone-jarring and possibly bone shattering for the cosmonaut inside... so the ejector seat that the cosmonaut sat in doubled both as an "escape method" for the cosmonaut in the event of a booster failure and as a means of seperating the cosmonaut from the descent apparatus before landing, so that he could land under his own parachute in a gentler, more controlled manner, while the unmanned capsule then returned on its own parachute. Ingenious, really, in a way.

There are some interesting anecdotes in the books, about the unmanned test flights and the numerous dog flights the Soviets undertook... Belka and Strelka flew in the Vostok and were ejected in their canister and safely recovered (in fact, Khruschev gave one of Strelka's puppies to Caroline Kennedy, JFK's daughter...) Once the Soviets flew a dummy mannequin (that they nicknamed "Ivan Ivanov") complete with a menagerie of creatures emplaced in cages located throughout his mostly hollow body, from mice, frogs, fruit flies and other insects, to various seeds, microbes, chlorella algae, etc... Ivan Ivanov was set up to play a tape back to the ground on command, to test the communications system... To prevent the rest of the world from thinking that they sent up a cosmonaut that had gone looney or lost his marbles, they decided not to use a human voice on the tape, but to play back a chorus singing a patriotic song, so that the multiple voices wouldn't be mistaken for a hopelessly insane cosmonaut trapped in orbit running out of oxygen or something...

One of the biggest problems the Soviets had with their capsules, even well into the Soyuz era, was the periodic problems with getting a clean separation between the aggregate compartment and the reentry capsule... IIRC Gagarin's didn't separate cleanly, twirling around the reentry capsule during reentry in the steadily thickening air, banging into the capsule and sending it into a whirling spin, before the strap or umbilical holding the two together FINALLY burned through and freed the capsule, which then slowly settled down in its wild gyrations as the center of gravity nulled out the rocking and spinning due to the increasing gee forces of reentry... Similar problems killed Kamarov on Soyuz 1 and nearly killed another cosmonaut on Soyuz 5 when the capsule reentered BACKWARDS (nose first, with only a thin pressure hatch with little/no heat shielding on it to prevent it from burning through... Partway through the reentry the aggregate section FINALLY broke free, allowing the capsule to spin around heat shield first, saving the cosmonauts life at the last possible second-- his pressure hatch at the upper end of the capsule had already heated to the point the O-rings were smoldering and the hatch had visibly warped inward and was only a couple seconds from burning through or collapsing into the capsule, killing him instantly... )

Basically the Voskhod was the same capsule as the Vostok-- with the ejector seat removed and three couches fitted inside for the first mission, and two fitted for the second. Those Voskhod crews flew with NO escape capabilities WHATSOEVER... booster failure, parachute failure on reentry, whatever, and you were DONE. Voskhod differs in two main points-- upgraded life support equipment to allow multiple cosmonauts and longer stays in orbit, and a pyrotechnic package of retrorocket solid motors attached between the parachute and the capsule, which hung below it on a tether-- just before touchdown, the retrorockets would fire to "soften" the landing of the capsule, since the three man crew (on Voskhod 1) and two man crew (on Voskhod 2) had to land INSIDE the capsule, rather than ejecting prior to landing as all the previous single-seat Vostok cosmonauts had done. (Voskhod 1 was flown by cramming three cosmonauts into the tiny cabin, to get the "record" of the first multiple passenger spacecraft, and three men at that, rather than just two as the US Gemini program was ramping up at the time toward its first launch, and Voskhod 2 flew with only two cosmonauts, as it was outfitted with the inflatable airlock on the side of the capsule through which Alexei Leonov performed the world's first EVA spacewalk, prior to the US first spacewalk by Ed White on Gemini 4. Only two flew to make more room for the spacesuit-- none of the Russian three man capsules could carry spacesuits-- everybody flew "shirtsleeve" from launch to landing... (which would lead to the deaths of the first three man Soyuz crew to Salyut 1 in 1971 on Soyuz 11 due to a depressurization of the capsule during reentry).

Yeah, those Russians were either brave or crazy-- maybe a little of both...

and here is my humble attempt to make a Dr. Zooch Vostok capsule....I still have some touch up to do with her and I have to burnish a little of the hatch tape down...but I think it looks neat...what do you guys think?
View attachment 118977View attachment 118978View attachment 118979

Looks great, Rick... VERY cool... I thought they had four of those small "hook" antennas... every thing I've seen of them always seemed to have those... maybe I'm mistaken... anyway, it's VERY cool looking...

I thought it had a porthole too on the hatch, but I don't have any pics to reference it...

Hey Luke..I appreciate the info....I have looked a few line drawings of the Vostok..some showed 4 hooked antenna but most showed two....I would actually appreciate any info you might have on that. From a purely modellers viewpoint...I think it would look better with 4 actually. How much of this will actually be visible remains to be seen with the kit.
I don't think there was a port hole on the hatch....of course the info I have is kinda sketchy....but many pictures of the Vostok that show a few windows on the hatch were believed to have been used when they launched animals in the Vostok prior to launching Gagarin...again...I don't have access to a good book like you do, so any info would be appreciated!

Looks great, Rick... VERY cool... I thought they had four of those small "hook" antennas... every thing I've seen of them always seemed to have those... maybe I'm mistaken... anyway, it's VERY cool looking...

I thought it had a porthole too on the hatch, but I don't have any pics to reference it...

Hey Luke..I appreciate the info....I have looked a few line drawings of the Vostok..some showed 4 hooked antenna but most showed two....I would actually appreciate any info you might have on that. From a purely modellers viewpoint...I think it would look better with 4 actually. How much of this will actually be visible remains to be seen with the kit.
I don't think there was a port hole on the hatch....of course the info I have is kinda sketchy....but many pictures of the Vostok that show a few windows on the hatch were believed to have been used when they launched animals in the Vostok prior to launching Gagarin...again...I don't have access to a good book like you do, so any info would be appreciated!

Well, I'm down to the last 40 pages or so of the Siddiqi books, and then I'm not sure which book I'll go to next... someone on YORF was kind enough to send me all three of Chertok's "Rockets and People" books, but I have a ton of others and I might take a little break from the Russian program for awhile... Siddiqi's books are absolute gems-- I mean he even tells who all was at the state commission meetings for each flight-- it's virtually a day-by-day account of the Soviet space program, and all the intrigues and stuff going on behind the scenes... the politics and stuff involved, designers coming into favor and out of favor, and their projects along with them... changing priorities, all of that... and of course quite a bit of technical details-- BUT, pretty light on the photographs... There's only a TINY FRACTION of the amount of photography available on the Soviet space program compared to the US space program... heck MOST of this stuff was secret up til the collapse of the Soviet Union, and lots of still is... the archives opened for a time, and then gradually closed up again like a clam... Siddiqi and others have done a HUGE service to history by recording as much of the Soviet program as they can... while many of the principals were still alive, though geriatric, and could tell their stories, whether accurate or jaded by failing memory or various conflicts of personality or opinion... heck even the "official records" are sometimes contradictory, and either missing facts or incomplete, or had been "cleansed" or whitewashed for political purposes sometimes decades ago... so in some cases the truth will NEVER really be known... it's an interesting way of seeing how things work... but then even in the US program, like just about everything no matter what country or era, there's fact, opinion, recorded history, official history, unofficial history of those involved or who were there, and then there's the TRUTH... mishmash in the politics and motivations and rivalries and competition and cooperation and personalities involved, and it REALLY becomes quite the stew...

Only EXTREMELY rarely are things as "simple and straightforward" as they appear at first blush... that goes for the space program and just about everything else people are involved in, anything anywhere at any time...

Back to the technical question-- I'll look in the books, but I'm not sure that there's anything in there substantially better than what you've got access to... The Soviets did surprisingly little photography of their space program-- unlike the US where virtually EVERYTHING was filmed, photographed, sketched, diagrammed, or otherwise documented, which preserves a rich archive of images and documentation of the vehicles and missions, the Russian program was far more austere in this regard... what "stock footage" and diagrams and stuff have come out, is pretty much the sum total of what we have access to... and while more MAY exist in dusty, sealed archives, getting access to it is problematical at best, if not outright impossible. Whereas NASA has lost volumes of information, granted mostly minutea, but certainly some gems amongst the stones, due to the simple voluminous mass of data and photographs and documents NASA and its contractor base have accumulated related to the space program, the Russians have lost volumes of the history of their program to lack of photography, lack of documentation, and "cleansing" or burial in secret archives due to paranoia and secrecy, and a lack of resources to historically document and preserve it...

One also has to be careful of sources, especially WRT the Russian/Soviet space program... many individuals color their "recollections" with historical inaccuracies due to their long-running rivalries or competitions, or their own predilections or disappointments or displeasure with how things turned out, decisions made, sleights real or perceived, etc... Basically EVERYTHING in Russia nowdays is something to be exploited for gain, and that includes folks exploiting an interest in the history of the Soviet and Russian space programs for gain, even if they have to "manufacture" facts or information without regard for historical accuracy... Then there's the "speculation" (whether well or poorly informed) in the traditional "western" space specialists, some of which is grossly incorrect, and with a new crop of amateur "space experts" popping up, some of these misconceptions or mistakes are expanded upon or propagated to the point of becoming "dogma"... a truth unto themselves, as the old axiom says-- "tell a lie often enough, and people will come to believe it". SO, you can't always take every diagram or graphic that pops up as "accurate" either...

I'll see what I can dig up... Later! OL JR :)

PS. If you're REALLY interested in a "display piece", you should look at the paper modeler's forum, especially in the "PASA-- Paper Aeronautics and Space Administration" section of the forum... there's a guy over there called Paper Cosmonaut that does some absolutely AMAZING work, as well "closet astronaut" on here, whom I came to know over there... REALLY a great forum! Most of the paper models are available for download free or very cheap... Paper Cosmonaut did a Soyuz awhile back, with a seperable payload fairing over the Soyuz, which can be removed (or half-removed, just like the real thing) to show the completed Soyuz spacecraft inside the launch fairing... VERY cool... he even lined the fairing with drywall tape to simulate the structure of the stringers and stiffening rings inside the fairing, supporting the outer skin...

I'd be a shame to hide all your wonderful details inside a body tube with an oblong hole in the side (which is what Vostok and Voskhod used for access to the capsule-- Soyuz uses a door in the fairing). Maybe build a paper model of the fairing for display, with the detailed Vostok capsule visible inside?? Swap out the Zooch components for flight, though... ???

Luke, thanks for the input! its amazing that they didn't take more photographs, but, it was a different time and era I suppose.
I won't be able to get anything done tonight on the Vostok but I hope to get some work in on her tomorrow night..I have to say, this is a neat little kit!! I am always amazed at what Dr. Zooch can make a rocket out of!! rolled tanks and witches hats are on the horizon!

Well, I'm down to the last 40 pages or so of the Siddiqi books, and then I'm not sure which book I'll go to next... someone on YORF was kind enough to send me all three of Chertok's "Rockets and People" books, but I have a ton of others and I might take a little break from the Russian program for awhile... Siddiqi's books are absolute gems-- I mean he even tells who all was at the state commission meetings for each flight-- it's virtually a day-by-day account of the Soviet space program, and all the intrigues and stuff going on behind the scenes... the politics and stuff involved, designers coming into favor and out of favor, and their projects along with them... changing priorities, all of that... and of course quite a bit of technical details-- BUT, pretty light on the photographs... There's only a TINY FRACTION of the amount of photography available on the Soviet space program compared to the US space program... heck MOST of this stuff was secret up til the collapse of the Soviet Union, and lots of still is... the archives opened for a time, and then gradually closed up again like a clam... Siddiqi and others have done a HUGE service to history by recording as much of the Soviet program as they can... while many of the principals were still alive, though geriatric, and could tell their stories, whether accurate or jaded by failing memory or various conflicts of personality or opinion... heck even the "official records" are sometimes contradictory, and either missing facts or incomplete, or had been "cleansed" or whitewashed for political purposes sometimes decades ago... so in some cases the truth will NEVER really be known... it's an interesting way of seeing how things work... but then even in the US program, like just about everything no matter what country or era, there's fact, opinion, recorded history, official history, unofficial history of those involved or who were there, and then there's the TRUTH... mishmash in the politics and motivations and rivalries and competition and cooperation and personalities involved, and it REALLY becomes quite the stew...

Only EXTREMELY rarely are things as "simple and straightforward" as they appear at first blush... that goes for the space program and just about everything else people are involved in, anything anywhere at any time...

Back to the technical question-- I'll look in the books, but I'm not sure that there's anything in there substantially better than what you've got access to... The Soviets did surprisingly little photography of their space program-- unlike the US where virtually EVERYTHING was filmed, photographed, sketched, diagrammed, or otherwise documented, which preserves a rich archive of images and documentation of the vehicles and missions, the Russian program was far more austere in this regard... what "stock footage" and diagrams and stuff have come out, is pretty much the sum total of what we have access to... and while more MAY exist in dusty, sealed archives, getting access to it is problematical at best, if not outright impossible. Whereas NASA has lost volumes of information, granted mostly minutea, but certainly some gems amongst the stones, due to the simple voluminous mass of data and photographs and documents NASA and its contractor base have accumulated related to the space program, the Russians have lost volumes of the history of their program to lack of photography, lack of documentation, and "cleansing" or burial in secret archives due to paranoia and secrecy, and a lack of resources to historically document and preserve it...

One also has to be careful of sources, especially WRT the Russian/Soviet space program... many individuals color their "recollections" with historical inaccuracies due to their long-running rivalries or competitions, or their own predilections or disappointments or displeasure with how things turned out, decisions made, sleights real or perceived, etc... Basically EVERYTHING in Russia nowdays is something to be exploited for gain, and that includes folks exploiting an interest in the history of the Soviet and Russian space programs for gain, even if they have to "manufacture" facts or information without regard for historical accuracy... Then there's the "speculation" (whether well or poorly informed) in the traditional "western" space specialists, some of which is grossly incorrect, and with a new crop of amateur "space experts" popping up, some of these misconceptions or mistakes are expanded upon or propagated to the point of becoming "dogma"... a truth unto themselves, as the old axiom says-- "tell a lie often enough, and people will come to believe it". SO, you can't always take every diagram or graphic that pops up as "accurate" either...

I'll see what I can dig up... Later! OL JR :)

PS. If you're REALLY interested in a "display piece", you should look at the paper modeler's forum, especially in the "PASA-- Paper Aeronautics and Space Administration" section of the forum... there's a guy over there called Paper Cosmonaut that does some absolutely AMAZING work, as well "closet astronaut" on here, whom I came to know over there... REALLY a great forum! Most of the paper models are available for download free or very cheap... Paper Cosmonaut did a Soyuz awhile back, with a seperable payload fairing over the Soyuz, which can be removed (or half-removed, just like the real thing) to show the completed Soyuz spacecraft inside the launch fairing... VERY cool... he even lined the fairing with drywall tape to simulate the structure of the stringers and stiffening rings inside the fairing, supporting the outer skin...

I'd be a shame to hide all your wonderful details inside a body tube with an oblong hole in the side (which is what Vostok and Voskhod used for access to the capsule-- Soyuz uses a door in the fairing). Maybe build a paper model of the fairing for display, with the detailed Vostok capsule visible inside?? Swap out the Zooch components for flight, though... ???

OK...was able to get some work done on the Vostok last night....time to build the body of the rocket. first, as with the Saturn 1b kit, you draw 8 lines around the BT20 engine mount tube for the future placement of the spider beams
000_0415a.jpg

then you cut a small slit in the tube for the engine hook and glue a reinforcement band around the tube for added strength
000_0418a.jpg

next, insert the engine hook and wrap a length of masking tape around the tube to hold the engine hook in place
000_0419a.jpg

the next step is to carefully cut out the transition and place that on the tube.
000_0421a.jpg

the next step is to cut out the tube cutting guide and to cut the BT50 tube into 3 segments.
000_0423a.jpg000_0424a.jpg

next, place the two centering rings on the engine mount tube. My rings required a bit of gentle sanding for placement
000_0425a.jpg

tie the kevlar cord around the engine mount tube and then cut a small slit in the top centering ring for the kevlar and glue the rings into place.
000_0426a.jpg

finally, glue on the longest of the three segments and slide the transition up and glue into place.... Dr. Zooch calls this part of of the booster the tamponski!
000_0427a.jpg

she is starting to take shape up here!

as you can see, I didn't get the best fit with my transition....I was off just a tad when I glued the transition together.
000_0428a.jpg

I will play around with this gap up here today although I don't think there is a lot I'll be able to do with it. I'll probably just fill it with white glue...as the rocket takes shape, I don't think it will be that noticeable and I am afraid I'll do more damage than good trying to fill it and sand it down...looks like a good place to put the launch lug!

Hi Rick!
I just got back home (to a computer that works) and can finally get in on this thread.
This is one of my favorite Zooch kits. I'm looking forward to your build.

My Soyuz is a shelf queen, probably won't launch that one.
Just make a scan and copies of the tanks and witches hats. I had to make a few to get them smooth. I used the best four in the build.
Oh boy! 16 leetle nozzles on the back of those tanks!

thanks Chris...its a neat kit! I am having fun building her....I intend to paint this one as if the LOX tanks were frosted which kinda makes it a little more complicated to paint...but I think it will look cool when completed...I have some ideas for this one too...hopefully I won't screw it up!

Hi Rick!
I just got back home (to a computer that works) and can finally get in on this thread.
This is one of my favorite Zooch kits. I'm looking forward to your build.

My Soyuz is a shelf queen, probably won't launch that one.
Just make a scan and copies of the tanks and witches hats. I had to make a few to get them smooth. I used the best four in the build.
Oh boy! 16 leetle nozzles on the back of those tanks!

I liked Luke's suggestion for 4 of the hooked antennas...so while my booster is drying in the garage I cut 2 more antenna, removed the original ones and shortened them up a bit...and I used a drill bit to put a window in the hatch.
000_0430a.jpg

I gently filled in the gap on the body tube from the previous post...its not great, but there isn't much I can do with it...and its in the garage drying. I am trying to paint this rocket as if the lox tanks were frosted....which means the area where the spider beams will go will be a green color and the upper stage of the rocket is white....it will be time consuming, but I think it will look neat when done! I found some pictures of a nice Vostok model on line and am using this as a painting guide....
000_0432a.jpg

as you can see, I didn't get the best fit with my transition....I was off just a tad when I glued the transition together.
View attachment 119393

I will play around with this gap up here today although I don't think there is a lot I'll be able to do with it. I'll probably just fill it with white glue...as the rocket takes shape, I don't think it will be that noticeable and I am afraid I'll do more damage than good trying to fill it and sand it down...looks like a good place to put the launch lug!

If you've got REAL steady hands and confidence with a RAZOR SHARP #11 hobby knife blade, you CAN gingerly cut away the excess material on the conical paper part sticking out past the tube... it just takes a lot of care, patience, and skill with a SHARP knife... did I mention it needs to be SHARP?? (Put a new blade in your knife to make this one cut, then you can switch back to the one you're currently using for balsa and whatever...

Basically, just VERY CAREFULLY cut the shroud even with the end of the underlying body tube so that they're the same diameter... It takes a little care and patience, but it can be done... just go slow and careful...

Once you do it, you'll feel skilled enough to circumcise a gnat...

Sorry I didn't get back to your thread sooner, Rick... Had to go work on the other farm yesterday, pulling old fences out... sprayed them last year with herbicide to kill the trees and brush, and it's all dried out and brittle, so now we can pull the fence posts with the tractor and then roll up the barb wire-- where we can get it out of the trees and brush... I look like I lost a fight with wildcat today, my arms are so scratched up! Oh well...

As promised, I got some pics and stuff of the Vostok... I'll post them here for your perusal...

0eccb8eb.jpg
A paper model of the Vostok...
drk005199.jpg
A cutaway diagram of the Vostok.
foton-vostok-sharik-spacecraft-reentry-capsule.jpg
Actual Vostok descent apparatus in a museum... Note that after the capsule was cleaned and put on display, no hexagonal pattern is visible...
nov0003288.jpg
Picture of the descent apparatus after landing on the steppes of Kazakhstan... notice the hexagonal pattern in the charring of the heatshield... probably from the way the heatshield material was laid up on the capsule surface...
sa_interior.jpg
Yuri Gagarin's capsule on display at the RKK Energia museum...

More to come! OL JR :)

Last edited:
A few more pics and details...

truth-about-russian-space-program-jul-1968-aam-1200x855.jpg
A diagram of the Vostok and 8K72K launch vehicle...

VostockCapsule1.jpg
Vostok in its launch vehicle fairing...

VOSTOK%20SPACECRAFT%20CU.jpg
A fantastic plastic model of Vostok-- they're highly detailed and very accurate... Vostok had three portholes-- one on either side of the cosmonaut basically and the Vsor (Vizor) manual orientation sighting device basically between his feet-- it was akin to the periscope on the Mercury capsule...

VOSTOK%20SPACECRAFT%20HIGH%20FRONT.jpg
Another view of the fantastic plastic model... note the umbilical connector coming up from the instrument aggregate section (service module) to the upper part of the spherical reentry capsule... that way these plugs were located in a less heat-exposed part of the capsules surface due to being mounted "high" on the capsule... (the center of gravity of the capsule was lower, causing the capsule to naturally roll "bottom down" during reentry as the gee forces built up).

VOSTOK%20SPACECRAFT%20MAIN.jpg
Another view of the fantastic plastic model...

And a few more...

vostok_1_landing.jpg
Another view of a landed Vostok... Note the Vsor "periscope" in the circular hatch just below the cosmonauts feet, in this view of the capsule basically "upside down" (the "bottom" of the capsule is pointing up and to the left in this picture, as the capsule has rolled over after landing-- the hottest part of the reentry has burned the capsule white and exposed the hexagonal pattern in the heat shielding... I'm wondering if the capsules in the museums have had the heat shielding materials completely stripped off the steel pressure vessels before being sent to the museums...
vostok_diagram_02,0.jpg
A viewgraphic of the Vostok with some of the details listed-- note the three portholes near the cosmonaut's head area, one in the hatch and one to either side in the capsule pressure vessel walls, and the Vsor "periscope" between his feet...
Vostok_Spacecraft.jpg
Another diagram of the Vostok-- note the "umbilical" between the reentry capsule and instrument module... the long gray thing with the big round "patch" on the upper side of the capsule...
Vostok_spacecraft_with_third_stage_of_launch_vehicle,_scale_model_.jpg
Another view of a Vostok in a museum... notice on the lower capsule, the large round "patch" on the side with all the wiring connectors-- this is where the umbilical connects up to the reentry vehicle...
vostok1_1600px.jpg
Another inforgraphic of the Vostok... notice the conical bottom of the instrument module... these were tapered "shutters" which were opened to expose the heat rejection radiators of the spacecraft for thermal control in orbit... also note the small retro rocket motor in the very apex (base) of the conical instrument section...

Luke,
THANK YOU!! these are great pictures! I am glad that I added the additional two antennas, but you really won't be able to see much of the detail to the capsule that I added....its OK though...was still fun to see what you could do with it.

And a few more...

View attachment 119459
Another view of a landed Vostok... Note the Vsor "periscope" in the circular hatch just below the cosmonauts feet, in this view of the capsule basically "upside down" (the "bottom" of the capsule is pointing up and to the left in this picture, as the capsule has rolled over after landing-- the hottest part of the reentry has burned the capsule white and exposed the hexagonal pattern in the heat shielding... I'm wondering if the capsules in the museums have had the heat shielding materials completely stripped off the steel pressure vessels before being sent to the museums...
View attachment 119460
A viewgraphic of the Vostok with some of the details listed-- note the three portholes near the cosmonaut's head area, one in the hatch and one to either side in the capsule pressure vessel walls, and the Vsor "periscope" between his feet...
View attachment 119461
Another diagram of the Vostok-- note the "umbilical" between the reentry capsule and instrument module... the long gray thing with the big round "patch" on the upper side of the capsule...
View attachment 119462
Another view of a Vostok in a museum... notice on the lower capsule, the large round "patch" on the side with all the wiring connectors-- this is where the umbilical connects up to the reentry vehicle...
View attachment 119463
Another inforgraphic of the Vostok... notice the conical bottom of the instrument module... these were tapered "shutters" which were opened to expose the heat rejection radiators of the spacecraft for thermal control in orbit... also note the small retro rocket motor in the very apex (base) of the conical instrument section...

OK....the next step is to place two small balsa discs into the bottom of the Vostok module...these are used to help seat the capsule. Then you carefully cut out the hole in the side of the rocket. As Luke has pointed out, the Vostok did not have the ability to land an astronaut with its own chute without injury so the astronaut used an ejection seat. hence, the hole in the fuselage for the seat to go through
000_0435a.jpg

what I hope to do next is to add some of the exterior details that were on the Vostok service module (aggregate compartment) I saved the ribbed paper that came with my Zooch Lifting Bodies and I will use a length of that to make the area on the aggregate compartment that appears to have a ribbed structure. There appear to be "stringers" or some sort of metal bands that ran up the side of the compartment up onto the nose and you can see I am going to try to replicate that with paper strips that I have cut with a straight edge. I suspect that this entire area on the real rocket broke away into 4 panels when its aerodynamic purpose was no longer needed....it appears to divide this stage into 4 "panels". I hope to add some additional details as well, like the small thrusters, cable tunnel and small panels etc....that is kind of where I am at the moment...just trying to add some additional details to this area of the rocket.
000_0436a.jpg

nothing is glued in yet..I wanted to be able to remove the Vostok for painting when I get that far. I have deviated from the instructions at this point while I am playing around with this stage...

Last edited:
Back