Torpedo! The Tube-Launched rocket

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

awseiger

Reaction score
I've always wanted to make a rocket that launches out of a tube. It just seems so clean.

Anyway, the problem has always been that fins have to stick out of the body.... Until I discovered Ring Tails...

Here's the 3D model from rocksim, and the 2D model.

If you would look at this and let me know if Rocksim is messing with me, Let me know. It seems (EXTREMELY) stable for what it is.
I'll be building an 18mm and BT-60 model before I attempt to make a HPR version, as I've never seen a rocket like this before.

SameDiameterTubeFin.jpg
View attachment SameDiameterTubeFin.rkt

If the simulations are correct then that is just plain awesome!!!:clap: Keep us updated on this -- 'cause if it works I am so building one!

I built one a couple of years back using a baby birtha nosecone and body tube. I had a shorter transition and a 1" gap from the body tube to the motor tube before the ring fin. It did not have a very stable flight untill I added 4 fins outside the ring tail.

I dont have the rocket any more due to the last time I seen it it was in a tall tree in Kansas city.

I don't know if it was the fact that I did not have a long enough transition and gap before the ring fin or what.

Rocksim also stated that mine was stable as well but it was not.

I wish you better luck than I had.

Many years ago I made a semi-scale Patriot to demonstrate a tube-launching technique. It uses adapters that run the length of the body to fit a "sub-caliber" rocket into a larger tube.

tube7.JPGtube.JPGtube-s.JPG

Many have designed and built Pop out fin Tube launched models over the years.
Pop fins will ensure proper stability where Rocsim seems to fail on a regular basis. Particularly with ring fins.
Remember Rocsim is only a SIMULATION and does not take many factors into account. Can't begin to tell you how many modroc designs and airframe configuration I've had rocsim tell me is perfectly stable only to have it be completely UNSTABLE beyond the end of the launch rod! Be sure to test launch this and any unproven design in as much isolation as possible to be on the safe side away from all people and property.

Yea, it seemed odd. I'll first do a simulated version with 18mm motors and bt60 tube. Looking at things like old wwII bombs I think this design has some sort of merit, as long as the transition is long enough. Maybes ill make a few versions with different lengths...

Something tells me that something like this works best at low velocity. As the rocket speeds up, I'd think that you'd get cavitation around the transition and the fin tube would blow itself to bits. Or maybey it's now obvious I don't know much about fluid dynamics....

Back in the day, before piston launchers, some folks used "closed breech" launchers to boost performance. Small rocket that fit inside a larger tube launcher. The aft end had an adapter that the engine fit in that sealed the tube (Imagine a paper transition section with the engine fitting the top and the base meeting a short ring the diameter of the inside of the launch tube). The rocket separated from the adapter when it reached the top of the launch tube. Piston and then zero-volume pistons evolved from that.

Not quite as cool looking as the bazooka-looking thing you have in mind.

I've always wanted to make a rocket that launches out of a tube. It just seems so clean.

Anyway, the problem has always been that fins have to stick out of the body.... Until I discovered Ring Tails...

Here's the 3D model from rocksim, and the 2D model.

If you would look at this and let me know if Rocksim is messing with me, Let me know. It seems (EXTREMELY) stable for what it is.
I'll be building an 18mm and BT-60 model before I attempt to make a HPR version, as I've never seen a rocket like this before.

View attachment 117981
View attachment 117982

fins doesn't have to be a problem, ad foam to guide your rocket in the tube
I'm working on a rocket silo , using an piston with explosive charge to eject the rocket
And an magnetic activated timer that will ignite the mid power motor just few feet above the ground

fins doesn't have to be a problem, ad foam to guide your rocket in the tube
I'm working on a rocket silo , using an piston with explosive charge to eject the rocket
And an magnetic activated timer that will ignite the mid power motor just few feet above the ground

I could do this. However, I'm just saying that this rocket looks like it would work well out of a tube. I'm not neccecarialy launching it from a tube.

You could always use an air cannon to launch the rocket. PM Me if you want ideas, my other hobby is pneumatic potato launchers.

For a sabot the expanding foam would work extremely well.

I could do this. However, I'm just saying that this rocket looks like it would work well out of a tube. I'm not neccecarialy launching it from a tube.

You could always use an air cannon to launch the rocket. PM Me if you want ideas, my other hobby is pneumatic potato launchers.

For a sabot the expanding foam would work extremely well.

explosives are much more fun

rocket silo ejection test
[YOUTUBE]b1gXK23OgaM[/YOUTUBE]

Back