New MissleWorks RRC3 altimeter + LCD !

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blackjack2564

Crazy Jim's Gone Banana's
Reaction score
It's official...flew the latest rendition in my DarkStar 3 & 75 SpaceCowboy ............

I flew the Alpha 3 test version over the weekend and for the first time got to use the companion LCD readout unit. this thing is sweet. Just plug it in, to read out your flight data or change any of the many settings available.

After some more testing of this unit, the Beta's will be here for final testing.[Beta is actual unit that will be sold to everyone, with correct color & labeling, the alpha's are pretty much hand made for all the testing and revisions that have been done along the way]

After we fully test the Beta.....finally.....you will be able to buy them!
So it's finally far enough along to show everyone what's happening.

Here are some screen shots of what this thing can do:
Settings are in 100's , one click of button = 100 ft etc.
LV = low voltage warning, this thing works on batteries from 3.7 Lipo , 9v. to 11.7 battery packs.
Even has loudness for beeper increase or decrease for deaf guys like me. I can actually hear it from 10 ft away!
Stores 16 flights.
Program it with on board dip switches and button or LCD or Computer. Aux hook up for :pyro board [airstarts ,clusters ,staging] GPS, Telemtry, and others coming.
Works straight out of the box...mach immune ...main at 500 or play with it all ya like. Set for english or metric readouts. Obviously computer needed for graphing data.
Plug LCd in ....powered by the altimeter to see all flight data or change settings or do diagnostics.

Graph downloaded to computer from different flight than LCD data.

Arming elevation [2=200ft]
main deploy [5=500ft]

view of screen choices
view= current settings stored in altimeter
log= flight data screens
diag = ground testing charges etc.
set= changing settings stored in altimeter [i.e. change main deploy altitude]

deploy mode here 1 = dual deploy
LV =low voltage warning [needed cause you can use 3.7 9v up to 11.7 battery pack]

Some data from my flight altitude of 4259ft
velocity of 531

Picture 4.png

DSCN1845.jpg

DSCN1846.jpg

DSCN1847.jpg

DSCN1851.jpg

Last edited:
These are just a few of the capabilities that are available. I'm sure some of the other testers will expound upon the virtues of the New RRC3 before long.

I can't type fast enough to describe all the stuff it can do.:cool:

Showing time on pad
time to apogee
descent time
how long power is on

pressure temp[celsius here] voltage

settings screen where you change things

arming elevation can be changed too

DSCN1854.jpg

DSCN1857.jpg

DSCN1868.jpg

DSCN1869.jpg

DSCN1870.jpg

Last edited:
So, I'm assuming the basic method of use would be to have the altimeter itself mounted on the sled, but not the LCD screen/thingie. You would plug the LCD bit in to do your setup/configuration before the flight. Then, post-flight you would plug the LCD unit in to read your data and other fun.

It sounds like you could mount the LCD onto your sled as well (and fly the rocket with it installed), but that's not necessary, nor the assumed preferred way.

It also sounds like the LCD is not strictly necessary, and that this would be a fully functional altimeter without it.

Yes?

s6

Very Cool. I will be getting one for sure. While the computer is not necessary, do you know if the unit is Apple compatible? Also, there was some mention in a previous thread that one might be able to plug in an accelerometer. Any more on that front? Thanks.

Chris

So, I'm assuming the basic method of use would be to have the altimeter itself mounted on the sled, but not the LCD screen/thingie. You would plug the LCD bit in to do your setup/configuration before the flight. Then, post-flight you would plug the LCD unit in to read your data and other fun.

It sounds like you could mount the LCD onto your sled as well (and fly the rocket with it installed), but that's not necessary, nor the assumed preferred way.

It also sounds like the LCD is not strictly necessary, and that this would be a fully functional altimeter without it.

Yes?

s6

Yes, and one LCD is all that's needed for any amount of altimeters.

Very Cool. I will be getting one for sure. While the computer is not necessary, do you know if the unit is Apple compatible? Also, there was some mention in a previous thread that one might be able to plug in an accelerometer. Any more on that front? Thanks.

Chris

Well the Apple thing.... I would love also,[it could be] if any Java platform writers read this, PM me about the possibilities and some serious horsetrading or what ever is required. I don't have a clue as to how hard it would be to do, but the source codes [did I get that right] can be made available to some one interested in doing it.

At the moment the priority is to get the basic altimeter & LCD finished, and available to fliers ASAP. Then the peripherals will come next.

There's no preference, either way, as far as mounting the LCD goes. Personally, I wouldn't -- to me, its benefit is portability.

Not necessary, but priced low enough that you'll want one -- it's the ultimate in quick, easy review of a flight. No need to haul out a laptop, no need to take a laptop to the field, at all! The altimeter stores several flights, so you can fly all day and not lose your data.

-Kevin

There's no preference, either way, as far as mounting the LCD goes. Personally, I wouldn't -- to me, its benefit is portability.

Not necessary, but priced low enough that you'll want one -- it's the ultimate in quick, easy review of a flight. No need to haul out a laptop, no need to take a laptop to the field, at all! The altimeter stores several flights, so you can fly all day and not lose your data.

-Kevin

But a laptop lets you view data in detail and stuff... not to mention GUI programming of the altimeter. And saving configurations and reloading them.

I would love to see Apple compatibility also, but understand why most do not. Most programmers are very dependent on .net.

the LCD has to be unpluged from the unit for flight therefore i wouldnt install it either, goes in my range box one LCD for multiple units

I'm good with java... I have a universal version of the FIP already but I'm waiting on Adrian. Ill shoot you a PM when I get home CJ.

Yes, and one LCD is all that's needed for any amount of altimeters.

Well the Apple thing.... I would love also,[it could be] if any Java platform writers read this, PM me about the possibilities and some serious horsetrading or what ever is required. I don't have a clue as to how hard it would be to do, but the source codes [did I get that right] can be made available to some one interested in doing it.

At the moment the priority is to get the basic altimeter & LCD finished, and available to fliers ASAP. Then the peripherals will come next.

So am I to assume the software is written in JAVA? Along that line, does anyone know if it's been tested with Ubuntu or any other flavors of Linux? If it's written in JAVA there is hope. :)

This is to say the least an intriguing set up especially with the LCD screen. I know several rocket folk who have lost enough of their hearing that they cannot hear the beeps from many altimeters on the market so I am sure this will be a very welcome product. One guy I know uses Ravens but can't hear the beeping so he either has other people at the launch listen for him or he waits until he get's home to plug it into a computer to find out the final altitude lol.

Last edited:
Thanks to all of you that have emailed me regarding beta testing, and to all that have posted about the new RRC3...

All the RRC3 components are in final review and modification for beta release (and there are a number of components). The guys doing the alpha testing have also been part of the development effort, and their assistance and suggestions have been invaluable during the evolution of the design. After doing most of my hobby development over the years in a bubble, this development has been more open and collaborative. The net result has been great... I'm sure the RRC3 system will have a little something for everyone, and it will have a price/performance quotient that everyone will appreciate.

The documentation effort is another huge task as well, and several alpha team members have stepped up to work on it. I already see the same net results in the outcome of the documentation as I see in the result of the hardware and software evolution. When all these items converge (prelim documentation, beta hardware and software), we'll be ready for beta test. My goal is early March, with preliminary release happening later in the month, governed by the evaluation of feedback and results from the expanded beta program.

I gave CJ the green light to post up some prelim pics and GUI capture as we are effectively at a beta/release stage for the project. There are a number of things we're keeping "on ice and under wraps" until we have actual non-vaporware things to talk about and show. With that said, I'd like to discuss some of the question/points raised in the current discussion:

Stand Alone DIP Switches and Pushbutton
The RRC3 has a collection of settings, data, and diagnostics available for programming, review, and exercise thru a more traditional DIP switch interface, fused with a simple interactive pushbutton method. This collection of DIP accessible items is quite impressive, and it's *easily* managed. If you were frustrated with the "mini", fear not... you will be a believer after watching it/trying it. This collection of "Base" settings is more than most will ever need for dual deployment duties and data.

LCD Module
The RRC3 supports an optional LCD "Terminal" module... all the firmware driving the LCD display resides in the RRC3 mCU, thus keeping the LCD at a much lower production cost and price point. While not only providing an all-up readable HMI, the user interacts with the LCD via a "one-touch" soft key interface... it's a simple, quick, and efficient means to view, adjust, diagnose, or test the device.

In addition, the LCD provides access to the entire collection of RRC3 settings. This includes the aforementioned "Base" settings, a configurable "Telemetry" stream, and "Auxiliary Control" settings which provide setup of an independently programmable 3rd pyro or switch control.

On the "data side" of the fence, you'll also have full access to the mCU resident "Flight Log" data. Not only are the basic altitude/velocity values of your last flight available, there are 'chute descent rates, times, temps, voltages, and cumulative statistics that are maintained in the non-volatile Flight Log memory. We're also going to have a "chassis mountable" cable adapter available, so users can plug in to assembled airframes and av-bays to validate settings and data should they choose to integrate this socket adapter externally.

There was also mention of mounting this LCD to an internal sled. The group discussed this in context of providing an "Olsen like" legacy mode of operation... fly, retrieve, then open up the av-bay to see your results in human readable form. It was decided that while novel, it's not warranted... just plug in the LCD and reboot the unit. It auto detects the LCD, so in seconds you've got the same net result. As Shane mentioned, you'd not be able to fly the unit with the LCD connected.

HMI/GUI Application
The RRC3 will be released initially with a freely downloadable Windows version "Flight Viewer" (dubbed rDACS). It's been running on XP, Win7, and Win8 systems, and it will require .NET 4.0 support. I will also be releasing to the rocketry community full documentation of all data streams to/from the RRC3 (hint, hint)... these streams include the flight data and flight data management, simulation data, telemetry data, and all the host connections, controls, configuration, and diagnostics. It's my hope that one of you talented rocketeers will pick up the ball and run with app development on an alternate OS platform (Android, OS X, iOS, Linux, etc...). It's totally scalable, and you can develop as little or as much as you'd like.

In fact, "dlb" as he's known in these parts (one of our alpha testers) is already interfacing to the RRC3 telemetry stream for some very innovative controls and effects... I'll let him enlighten you all with his endeavors... it will be damn cool. :cool:

More to come as we approach release...

This is to say the least an intriguing set up especially with the LCD screen. I know several rocket folk who have lost enough of their hearing that they cannot hear the beeps from many altimeters on the market so I am sure this will be a very welcome product. One guy I know uses Ravens but can't hear the beeping so he either has other people at the launch listen for him or he waits until he get's home to plug it into a computer to find out the final altitude lol.

The RRC3 has a piezo speaker that is "quite audible" (almost to the annoying point) from a very efficient and very small form factor device. Most fixed frequency piezo's run at 4KHz, but this piezo has a programmable frequency from 1.04KHz to 6.25KHz. Everyone should be able to hear the unit in the lower frequency ranges, perhaps even the guy you speak of!

Not to discourage usage of the LCD module, but it's really audible... ask troj :wink:

The RRC3 has a piezo speaker that is "quite audible" (almost to the annoying point) from a very efficient and very small form factor device. Most fixed frequency piezo's run at 4KHz, but this piezo has a programmable frequency from 1.04KHz to 6.25KHz. Everyone should be able to hear the unit in the lower frequency ranges, perhaps even the guy you speak of!

Not to discourage usage of the LCD module, but it's really audible... ask troj :wink:

Audible, it is!

My wife has high-end hearing loss, and has to use closed captioning on the TV. When I got my first RRC3 (we've all been through several alpha units), I got chastised from the other room, because I was driving Deb nuts!

On my first flight of the unit, I stopped and counted beeps before I got to the rocket.

This thing is very friendly to those with hearing loss!

-Kevin

I have a hipitched constant ringing in my ears from years of shooting large caliber rifles, that overrides some altimeter beeps. This little unit I can hear perfectly a few feet away even when it is buttoned up inside the airframe sitting on the pad.

I just love this critter, dam thing Delivers BIG for the amount it's going to cost.
Love the LCD for fast setups and easily readable in full sun light.
and if your like me I lose track of the beeps, so a quick LCD hookup and Bam, you got it and more to boot.
I even stop using a Volt meter to check the battery, no need, the display show you that to!!!
Simple on the field or you can get very complex if needed!
One of the BIGGEST things about this is the Beeper is to die for, I'm hard of hearing, and can CLEARLY hear this from 15 feet away! put all others to SHAME!

Picture show my 38mm AV bay setup and display in bright sun light.
Jimbo's got a winner , again!!!!!
Maybe it's got to do with that new powerful Unobtainium controller on board!!!!:y::cool:

packed2.jpg

Packed3.jpg

LCD display.jpg

Last edited:
can't wait for this to come out...gonna get one, hopefully I can get it when they come out and not have to wait for more! Thanks for all the info and previews, you all ROCK!

This is very cool. It's the ultimate expression of a certain attitude toward flight computers; it's easy, no computer needed, capable and powerful, etc..

In the end, I strongly prefer programming/viewing data via a computer; it just seems more flexible and enjoyable. But I'm from the generation that grew up doing LEGO robotics and the like on computers. :)

This is a really cool product, though!

This is very cool. It's the ultimate expression of a certain attitude toward flight computers; it's easy, no computer needed, capable and powerful, etc..

In the end, I strongly prefer programming/viewing data via a computer; it just seems more flexible and enjoyable. But I'm from the generation that grew up doing LEGO robotics and the like on computers. :)

The thing is, with the RRC3, you can do both!

For me, I like the convenience of being able to take a quick peek at the data while at the field, without having to pull out the laptop. I can also easily change settings without it, as well.

But when I really want to go over the data, it's quick and easy to download and bring it up on the computer.

-Kevin

The RRC3 design provides several different "user levels", and as you note in it's simplest form, it is a 100% stand-alone dual event baro unit. Nothing else required and no setup needed at all... fly it right out of the box. If that's all you need or want from it, it will faithfully deploy a drogue and main. Should you need more than just continuity status pre-launch, or apogee elevation post-launch, you can get to a very comprehensive collection of settings, data, and diags with the DIP Switch and push button. The unit by itself should provide a complete package for most all flyers, and it's all there in it the stand alone offering.

As troj illustrates, leave the laptop at home or in the car, and expand upon that basic operation and data with the LCD module. You can get at all the settings and an extended collection of flight performance data.

Or, as you prefer connect up with your Windows laptop and grab your last 16 flights of 20Hz data from Flash memory (over 28 minutes each), load/save up specific settings files for a flight or project, diagnose/test the unit, or simulate a flight virtually to validate the extremely capable Auxiliary output functions you can configure.

None of the complexities are in the way or required if you don't need or want them...
And it's modular enough to where you don't pay for them, either.

Like the very audible beeper, the battery voltage reading is welcome too.

Can use the descent duration to calculate rate of descent, too - very cool!

Kenny

I just love this critter, dam thing Delivers BIG for the amount it's going to cost.
Love the LCD for fast setups and easily readable in full sun light.
and if your like me I lose track of the beeps, so a quick LCD hookup and Bam, you got it and more to boot.
I even stop using a Volt meter to check the battery, no need, the display show you that to!!!
Simple on the field or you can get very complex if needed!
One of the BIGGEST things about this is the Beeper is to die for, I'm hard of hearing, and can CLEARLY hear this from 15 feet away! put all others to SHAME!

Picture show my 38mm AV bay setup and display in bright sun light.
Jimbo's got a winner , again!!!!!
Maybe it's got to do with that new powerful Unobtainium controller on board!!!!:y::cool:

Very nice, compact AV-bay that you have there DLB. Looks very efficient. May take some pointers from you.

Chris

Will the RRC3 have the ability to have delayed apogee event. When flying dual altimeters, I like to set one of the altimeters a second or two after apogee as a backup. I know previous versions had this feature. Thanks!

Back