Rocket R&D and THOY Prices, Pictures, Kit Specs, etc...

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rfjustin

Reaction score
Rocket R&D and THOY Prices, Pictures, Kit Specs, etc...

Figured I would start a thread where I can upload some scans of Rocket R&D and THOY kit pictures, prices, kit specs, etc...

Pics/scans to follow...

Justin

Rocket R&D_THOY Prices June 1995 Page 2.jpgRocket R&D_THOY Prices June 1995 Page 1.jpgRocket R&D Kit Specs Page 2.jpgRocket R&D Kit Specs Page 1.jpgRocket R&D Picture Legend.jpg

Thanks for posting.

For everyone's information: I have only had a chance to glance at this thread so far. When I get some free time, I will likely do some moving and editing but that is not certain.

Of course, all of the rest of you are welcome to contribute as well!

rfjustin: Can you give me any more information such as approximate date of both catalogs?

December 1996.

Exact date of the mailer was 12/28/1996...

Justin

Thanks. THat date seems to jive with some internal evidence for the Rocket R&D. When looking closely at the THOY, it seems to indicate 1992 as the year of publication (implied, not explicit). I suspect that the same catalog was used for several years and the R&D continued to issue the old THOY one after the acquisition.

I think I might have THOY literature laying around here somewhere dating to 1990. I remember it had just 8 of the kits shown on a single 8.5x11 sheet of paper. The kits offered at the time were the Robin, Wren, Wasp [I owned one, and loved it], Snipe, Peacock, Ibis, Phoenix [owned one, used it for my first Tripoli confirmation in 1991], and Nighthawk.

I think I might have THOY literature laying around here somewhere dating to 1990. I remember it had just 8 of the kits shown on a single 8.5x11 sheet of paper. The kits offered at the time were the Robin, Wren, Wasp [I owned one, and loved it], Snipe, Peacock, Ibis, Phoenix [owned one, used it for my first Tripoli confirmation in 1991], and Nighthawk.

I would very much like a high quality scan of that!

Sure! However it is also shown in the catalog scans above. ;)

THOY
58 inches tall
2.6 inch diameter
29mm
Plywood fins TTW
Mine weighed about 28 ounces
The checkerboard was trim Monocote
The tips of the fins had pods with nose cones
I believe the flight picture was an Aerotech G64.

My Nighthawk circa 2000 (also shown in the catalog above) - Still have the payload section and the 7x29mm motor mount awaiting a new ride. The flight picture is on three H124 Aerotech Single Use

ROC-05132000-19.jpg Nighthawk-04082000-01.jpg NightHawk-3xH124-07082000.jpg

I also had a THOY Peacock... but I do not seem to have and digital pictures of it.

Sure! However it is also shown in the catalog scans above. ;)

THOY
58 inches tall
2.6 inch diameter
29mm
Plywood fins TTW
Mine weighed about 28 ounces
The checkerboard was trim Monocote
The tips of the fins had pods with nose cones
I believe the flight picture was an Aerotech G64.

I'm going to have to report you to Troj for the security breach.

It beats me how you removed that listing and then managed to sneak back into the system and replace it after I ask about it.

I did find it this time.

Since these are already in the gallery, I am going to copy them to individual threads unless I hear otherwise from you.

Thanks for the contributions.

Your welcome. I did not know they belonged in separate threads. My apologies. I did not mean to create more work.

Your welcome. I did not know they belonged in separate threads. My apologies. I did not mean to create more work.

Don't sweat it!

I appreciate the contribution! I really do!

Copying a post is the simple part. Getting together the background info and illustrations is what takes time, especially for companies that I have little familiarity with!

My knowledge of THOY is barely more than a name although I do have a THOY 54 to 38 adapter kits around here someplace.

Can somebody set me straight on the relationship between THOY, Rocket R&D and Cluster R?

I get the impression that they were distinct entities that amalgamated but I don't know. I'd really like to learn the chain of events.

I stumbled across this thread and realized I had an actual Rocket R&D catalog sitting right on my desk, so I scanned it. 300 dpi TIFFs, converted to JPEG at 75% quality using Gimp. The print quality wouldn't justify any higher resolution. There is an un-numbered centerfold insert page. The scans are presented in reading order from front to back.

This catalog says it's 1992-1993, shows the PML, THOY and Aerotech lines as distinct, and does not mention any kits branded as RR&D or Cluster-R. Also note the Virginia address for RR&D with a Dayton OH bulk mail permit stamp, versus the Urbana IL address for the later RR&D/THOY catalog shown earlier in this thread.

RocketR&D_Catalog_1992-1993_front_cover.jpg

RocketR&D_Catalog_1992-1993_p2.jpg

RocketR&D_Catalog_1992-1993_p3.jpg

RocketR&D_Catalog_1992-1993_p4.jpg

RocketR&D_Catalog_1992-1993_p5.jpg

Last edited:
I have some stashed away somewhere.....
Along with a West Coast Rocketry Catalog and a few others long forgotten kit makers.

JD

I have some stashed away somewhere.....
Along with a West Coast Rocketry Catalog and a few others long forgotten kit makers.

JD

Its time to find teh stash, give and give generously!

Thanks for posting the pictures..
I wondered about a rocket that I have and I see it. I have the 7.6 Diameter SkyRaider.

Steve

Hello Everyone,
I stumbled across this thread while checking in to see what was new in HPR and was surprised to see the comments about my old company, Rocket R&D. Not to bore you, but I thought I would answer a few of the questions about the origin of Rocket R&D.
In 1987, myself and Dean Giblin were both in college working on our degrees, mine in Electrical Engineering and his in Physics. We both attended local rocket meets and were the only people flying HPR in Virginia at that time (both of our Tripoli numbers were under 250). We started a company called Rocket Research and sold motors, chutes, wadding, etc. The company became bigger and we were a fixture on the East Coast HPR launches. We also branched into commercial work including military. We did a fair amount of testing in military applications using G300 motors on cable guided rocket sleds that were hitting Mach 1.5+. This was part of the Star Wars program and the military was using laser guided tracking to simulate firing at incoming projectiles. Our proximity with Washington DC and close relationship with Aerotech/ ISP opened the doors (and we were cheap). In the early 90's, I bought out Dean's interest in the company and relaunched as "Rocket R&D". We expanded the kit lineup by working closely with Richard Rau from THOY (the Nighthawk was my design that Richard produced). Public Missiles came onboard so we had a composite line. We continued to do commercial work but the Star Wars program came to a halt so the military contracts disappeared. Fortunately, the movie industry noticed us and we phased into that. I have some great video footage from a 16 foot tall rocket we made, fired on an M motor, with a 16mm film camera and 6 channel DAT recorder. It was supposed to be part of a Disney project but I'm not sure if it was completed since we were just a sub-contractor. Some of you may remember that in 1993, the DOT came down hard on Class B shipping. With the Class B work we were doing, that was a death nail. I reluctantly made the decision to sell the company since I knew it was going to be an uphill battle. Fortunately, when I announced the company was for sale in Danville, IL, Gary Buck was there and took an interest. A month later, the deal was done and he was the new owner. He was only interested in doing consumer work and wanted to do what he loved so it was a perfect fit. Gary was a great guy and I am sure many of you knew him. He took the company in a new direction and unfortunately, I do not know the details past this point.
I hope I haven't bored you but I know how I am and I love knowing the history of some of the first companies that were in the game.
Best Regards,
John Stanley

Third set of pages:

Last edited:
Back