Are these turkeys??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rockhiitt

Reaction score
Found these guys in my yard this morning out and about before the 30 inches of snow thats coming

birds 003 (1024x768).jpg

birds 004 (800x600).jpg

Yep, wild turkeys are significantly leaner than their Thanksgiving brethren. And they fly quite well too!

FC

cool,thanks

the one on the other side of the fence was a really good size bird

there is an area near my house called Wilderness park with lots of trails for bikes, hikes, and horses. On rides I see wildlife often. There are a few areas we stop to chill for a bit. We were at a spot for a good 5 minutes when I noticed a turkey a couple feet above my friends head up in a tree. Scared the carp out of me. They are some scarry looking birds.

Old roommate was a hunter. One morning I woke up and went to the sink to get some water. There was a black trash bag in the sink. I poked at it a bit and a wild turkey's foot popped out. Scared the carp out of me again. The talons on those suckers are freaky. Good eating though.

Lots around where I live. Scare the crap out of you if they make a flight attempt near you and you don't see them. Barely flight capable.

Lots around where I live. Scare the crap out of you if they make a flight attempt near you and you don't see them. Barely flight capable.

They'll leave a mark if you hit one with your car too. My wife and I thought one was going to go through our windshield last year but it got just enough altitude that it just left some feathers stuck in the seal at the top of the glass.

And they fly quite well too!
FC

Since this is a rocket forum, explain what you mean there?? Fly well as in like a bird, or Fly well as like you stick a H410 you know where and push the button??

Since this is a rocket forum, explain what you mean there?? Fly well as in like a bird, or Fly well as like you stick a H410 you know where and push the button??

Fly as in glide relatively smoothly. Don't get much altitude though...usually saw them only a few meters off the ground.

FC

They'll leave a mark if you hit one with your car too. My wife and I thought one was going to go through our windshield last year but it got just enough altitude that it just left some feathers stuck in the seal at the top of the glass.

I had a close call like that once. He just took off from the roadside and barely cleared the windshield of my van. The whole time I was thinking "That looks just like the Wild Turkey on the whiskey label". I was so enthralled that I almost drove off the road.:blush::eek:

They should be our National Bird, not that carrion eating, pray robbing, cowardly and dim whited Bald Eagle.

I couldn't disagree more. They are beautiful birds, very graceful in flight. Here are a couple of shots taken just outside our office in Beaverton (looking through the break room window :)). They are duck hunting. It's quite a site to see them catch a duck, pluck it and gobble it down.

oregon_eagles1a.jpg

oregon_eagles2.jpg

mmmm, Thanksgiving dinner on the hoof, er foot, er claw... ???

see them all the time just down the road from where I live. Nice to know they are there in case TSHTF - if you know what Imean.

those are hens.. you think there are big, you should see the male that they belong to....

They roost in the trees in front of my place all the time and they can fly high, 50-60 feet. They leave a mess of poop the size of a cats poop when it's solid.

Last edited:
At my old job one took out a windshield on one of our dump trucks, looked like someone beat the windshield with a baseball bat. Had a mom and baby turkey living in my backyard last summer. Should be the state bird for NJ.

I agree. I've never seen a Goldfinch but, have seen allot more turkeys.

JD

At my old job one took out a windshield on one of our dump trucks, looked like someone beat the windshield with a baseball bat. Had a mom and baby turkey living in my backyard last summer. Should be the state bird for NJ.

Yep... Jurassic chickens... LOL:)

Seriously, if you've ever seen a clutch of them (flock, gang, murder, whatever) moving through the woods it's not hard to see them being similar to therapod raptor dinosaurs...

Wonder what Velociraptor tasted like-- probably a lot like turkey!

Later! OL JR :)

Yep... Jurassic chickens... LOL:)

Seriously, if you've ever seen a clutch of them (flock, gang, murder, whatever) moving through the woods it's not hard to see them being similar to therapod raptor dinosaurs...

Wonder what Velociraptor tasted like-- probably a lot like turkey!

Later! OL JR :)

No chicken!:rofl:

Had a buzzard do that, but he hit smack dab in the middle of the windshield, right where the mirror attaches-- shot the rearview mirror into the back seat, sprayed us in the front seat with glass, and caved my windshield in about 4 inches... bounced off the roof of the truck and when I looked in the sideview mirror, it looked like a black bowling ball rolling down the highway with wings sticking out either side of it...

Scratch one windshield... Oh well... at least we had a nice BBQ lunch... (we were on our way to a great BBW joint a couple towns over after church one day... )

Oh well, the windshield needed replacing anyway... stupid buzzards... they're getting to where they're just not afraid of cars anymore... you can honk and honk and they won't budge... got to practically stop before they'll FINALLY give up and take off...

Later! OLJR :)

I couldn't disagree more. They are beautiful birds, very graceful in flight. Here are a couple of shots taken just outside our office in Beaverton (looking through the break room window :)). They are duck hunting. It's quite a site to see them catch a duck, pluck it and gobble it down.

OK. If you don't like the Wild Turkey as our National Bird, then how about kite flying during an electrical storm?

Back