Ahhh ... Peace(maker)

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GregGleason

Reaction score
Feeling stressed?

There's nothing like a melodrama from the 50's to take the kinks out of your day.

[YOUTUBE]3wvEzhyY9F4[/YOUTUBE]

Greg

Was that Harry Morgan (voice—man with his back to the viewers) in the scene with Jimmy Stewart? What movie was that?

I'd forgotten about the B-36. Quite impressive.

You can get it on Netflix.

Greg

I haven't seen that movie in ages. I don't see it on the dvd side of netflix. It must only be available via streaming.

[edit] Amazon prime has it.

Last edited:
I'm a huge Stuart fan. Been one for ages. I even do a pretty bad impression of him. you guys know he was a pilot and did his own flying scenes. he flew B-24 Liberators during WWII.

Jimmy Stewart actually enlisted early in the war. He wanted to fly, and got a commision. He only flew 20 missions in Europe, (the higher ups didn't really want him to fly in combat, but he got in as many as he could). What is not commonly known, he was a natural leader. He rose to the rank of Colonel by war's end, and stayed in the Air Force as a reserve officer, attaining the rank of Brigader General. There is an excellent book about this, but I can't remember the title. It's a worthwhile read.

I’m I mistaken in my belief that the jet engines on the B-36 were used primarily during takeoffs and landings?

Six turnin' and four burnin'!

FC
I always thought it was 2 turnin, 2 rattlin, 2 smoldering, 2 howling and 2 burning......

The engines on the B36 were originally designed to be cooled via the draft from tractor props, so they tended to run hot to very hot on long flights, leading to oil breakdown, premature parts wear and occasional fires. Also, if the jets were run with the louvers in anything other than wide open (louvers were for aerodynamics during periods of jet inactivity during high-altitude flights) the jet engines would howl like a banshee...

G.D.

When I was a kid, I had a Squadron-Signal public on the B-52 that had a pic of Jimmy Stewart, who apparently flew a mission during Vietnam.

BG-Jimmy-Stewart-with-B-52-Green-2-crew-20-February-1966-Anderson-AFB-Guam.jpg Stewart_B-52.jpg

https://www.historynet.com/mr-stewart-goes-to-vietnam.htm

When I was in the USAF (30 years ago), there was an old, many-striped NCO, who said the B-36 was "impregnable" because of how its defensive armament would effectively track any fighter.

Greg

Jimmy Stewart also got the chance to fly a medium bomber in 1960s...the B58! (ran across a vid about the 'Hustler, 14 world records).
rex

Strategic Air Command is still one of my favorite movies. June Allyson was hot in a girl next door sort of way.

Back