Best knot for line to line -- kevlar to nylon

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ckreef

Reaction score
Was looking this up on the web and I found a sheet bend or the surgeon's knot. Anybody have any thoughts on this ??

Was looking this up on the web and I found a sheet bend or the surgeon's knot. Anybody have any thoughts on this ??

I'd probably do a variant of the sheet bend, with something to deal with the free ends so the knot cannot possibly undo itself.

I usually sew in SS welded rings into loops and coonnect the shockcord and kevlar via quick links appropriate for the size.You could also just sew loops and just use quicklinks and not use rings.

I sew all my stuff by hand with kevlar thread ,or Nomex.

This method just makes it easier to change components and the connections are extrememly strong.

Paul t

Water knots (sometimes known as "Water's knot") are well known to creep with load/release cycles. Either inspect and tighten them with every use, or, use a double fisherman's knot, which works surprisingly well with webbing, even when dissimilar sized/dissimilar material. A plus is the profile of the knot is not as big of a lump, too.

All the best, James

I am using round kevlar and round nylon and they are different sizes. I like the Albright knot. It is useful for joining 2 different line sizes. It also has the long ends of each line coming straight out of the knot so that should minimize weakening of the line because of the knot.

Thank you Peter and everyone else who contributed.

I like the looks of the Albright knot, but I wonder how well it would work with webbing.

Back