Anybody lose a rocket in Alabama??

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OK,I placed a bid on this, and 2 hrs later I recieved this.

Dear jimzcatz,

sorry for ending the auction early, maybe i can relist later? see below why i had to do this for now.

I am a member of the rocket club that flies there. We have a launch this
weekend so can you bring this back to us so we can get it to its owner? We
fly at the end of chastain rd in the big field.

Hello

I have ended the aution on ebay. But here is the problem. there was damage to my suburban it had a custom sun visor (painted to match). It was damaged. I want to say this was 3-4 years ago. I have stoped by your launch site and I was upset that day and the person I talked to knew nothing about it. So I will contact ebay about relisting this item. If you want to email me more about this threw ebay so I have a record of what we talk about that is fine. So if the owner wants to pay for the Damage to my suburban ( which has been sold)he can have the rocket. So I made the first move towards getting this back to the owner. please advise what your thoughts are on how to work this out.

I dont think it would be too much to ask for damages,if the owner can be found. I question why he waited 4 years,but its understood if we damage your property,it comes out of my wallet.

- karlsal

Glad you could read our conversation. :)

Ok, I gotta admit, I'm completely confused. Who said what to who when, in response to what from whom?
Could someone please outline what happened, or is happening?
(oh, and the use of at least semi-proper grammar and spelling would be helpful).

s6

Ok, I gotta admit, I'm completely confused. Who said what to who when, in response to what from whom?
Could someone please outline what happened, or is happening?
(oh, and the use of at least semi-proper grammar and spelling would be helpful).

s6

Ok. I emailed the ebay user about the rocket being from our club. They emailed me back. They(ebay person) emailed Jim the conversation I had with the ebay user. That help?

I think someone needs to be straight with this guy about the facts surrounding it.

That it appears to have landed in a field. That if he wants to be reimbursed for the damages that is fine. But he will need to provided proof of damages and the expense. Just ask him to give you some time and a chance to find the rightful owner. From there if you can't work it out he can sell it.

If he becomes a pain snd he starts to look to extort miney...They should remind him that if the rocket was picked up from a field it would be theft and if he attempts to extort money or pull any stunts the owner can and will contact the Police. Extortion is a felony with serious jail time.

That should make him become real honest real quick. I have doubts that it damaged his car.

Even if he does sell the item on eBay at least we know what happened to it and the "owner" could potentially sue in small claims.

Where is the chute/ chutes? Just because the booster hit the ground doesn't mean another part did not hit his vehicle. The shock cord is long enough. It has been 3-4 years, the guy did not use the rocket at all, if one did damage to my car I would hang on to it also. Seems like he did not do it for money at the time. It doesn't look like he was interested in rockets at all, or knows anything about them. It really isn't to hard to believe his story.

It really is not any of my business, but I can't believe the way this guy is being treated by fellow rocketeers. Calling him a liar, theif, idiot, possible extorsionest, and suggesting jail time for finding a rocket is BS. It would be a differant story if it was taken out of a trailer or gone missing from the launch set up area.

I see a lot of claims that he stole it, a lot of claims that there's no way it hit his car.

Sorry, folks, but you have zero evidence on which to make any of those claims.

How 'bout we ratchet down the accusations a bit, and stop calling someone a criminal without any evidence to back it up?

-Kevin

Let me tell you guys a little about Alabama. Most people do not have a concrete driveway. They have Mud. SO it is very possible to have had the booster hit mud and the rest hit a car. This is especially true in the country(where the club flies of course). The rocket landed in his yard, his property, and as far as I have been told, that makes it his property. He does not have to let you retrieve it.

This happened 3-4 years ago?

He wants money for something he hasn't proved to an auto that he doesn't own any longer?

If I lost a rocket that long ago—I'd consider it gone and forgotten as I'm sure it has been.

This is just a can of worms waiting to be opened. Who knows what really happened?

I, for one, don't blame the builder for not claiming it. It was years ago. Water under the bridge. A hazard of the hobby. Let the guy sell it.

This whole thing has a bad smell to it. Best avoided.

Last edited:
Actually the individual just wanted to sell the rocket. I, unintentionally, turned it into a debate of his character and intentions. To be honest, I wish I had left it for someone else to notice.

I'm glad that I fly with a better group of people than some of the stuff I've seen displayed in this thread.

First off, if the guy has it, then he has it. If he said it damaged his vehicle and can produce a receipt, then the money is owed for the repairs. PERIOD.

If the rocket had a tracker in it, WHY didn't the owner actually track it down?? Sure there's always the possibility of malfunction and the tracker quit or the signal was lost... but unless it quit at liftoff, the owner should have had SOME idea which direction it flew. It doesn't take CSI to look at the seller's address in Google Earth and get a direction from the launch field and see if it's possible... anybody keep records on the prevailing wind direction and speed the day of the launch?? That combined with descent rate will get you a *rough* estimate of where it likely came down (ignoring thermals, variables in wind direction aloft, etc). IF he actually called the bomb squad, then there would be a police record of that call...

This BS speculation about the guy's motives is just that-- BS. It could have very well hit his truck, damaged it, ricocheted off, and hit the ground and crammed dirt or mud in the nozzle. Maybe the fins are damaged from being thrown in a corner of the garage for a few years, subject to moisture damage, or otherwise stored wet or in a bad location (thrown in a shed or something, who knows).

The point is, NOBODY came looking for it. It's not the responsibility of other folks to return rockets that they find or land on their property. It's been discussed on here before that some neighbors adjoining fields WILL NOT ALLOW club members to retrieve rockets that drift down on their property-- AND THEY DON'T HAVE TO, EITHER. It's just part of being in rocketry... if you can't take it, GET A TRAIN SET!

If the guy wants to sell the hardware on fleabay, that's his business... If the ACTUAL OWNER wants it back, then it is HIS responsibility to go talk to the guy, work out an arrangement to pay for damages to the vehicle and heck even storage on the rocket if the homeowner wants to make an issue of it, and apologize for the rocket damaging his property, settle up financially, and get the rocket back, and BE MORE CAREFUL IN THE FUTURE... (and make do their level best to make sure their rocket lands where it's supposed to-- on the FIELD, not on some guy's vehicle miles away). If the rocket's owner wants to refuse to acknowledge its his, and let the guy have it, then the truck owner has every right to do with it as he sees fit, since it landed on HIS property and damaged HIS property... if he can make a few bucks off it, SO BE IT.

If anybody has any PROOF that he "stole it", "found it in the woods", "extortion" or whatever, then they better gather their evidence and make a police report. OTHERWISE, we have this little thing in this country called DUE PROCESS, and INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. I hear a lot of accusations in this thread, and NO EVIDENCE, just STUPID SPECULATION based on what they're seeing from a handful of photos posted on the sale listing.

Oh, and BTW, expecting to have damages paid and such is NOT "extortion"... Keeping the rocket until such is settled isn't either...

Some of you guys need to GROW UP... Geesh...

Later! OL JR :)

I'm glad that I fly with a better group of people than some of the stuff I've seen displayed in this thread.

First off, if the guy has it, then he has it. If he said it damaged his vehicle and can produce a receipt, then the money is owed for the repairs. PERIOD.

If the rocket had a tracker in it, WHY didn't the owner actually track it down?? Sure there's always the possibility of malfunction and the tracker quit or the signal was lost... but unless it quit at liftoff, the owner should have had SOME idea which direction it flew. It doesn't take CSI to look at the seller's address in Google Earth and get a direction from the launch field and see if it's possible... anybody keep records on the prevailing wind direction and speed the day of the launch?? That combined with descent rate will get you a *rough* estimate of where it likely came down (ignoring thermals, variables in wind direction aloft, etc). IF he actually called the bomb squad, then there would be a police record of that call...

This BS speculation about the guy's motives is just that-- BS. It could have very well hit his truck, damaged it, ricocheted off, and hit the ground and crammed dirt or mud in the nozzle. Maybe the fins are damaged from being thrown in a corner of the garage for a few years, subject to moisture damage, or otherwise stored wet or in a bad location (thrown in a shed or something, who knows).

The point is, NOBODY came looking for it. It's not the responsibility of other folks to return rockets that they find or land on their property. It's been discussed on here before that some neighbors adjoining fields WILL NOT ALLOW club members to retrieve rockets that drift down on their property-- AND THEY DON'T HAVE TO, EITHER. It's just part of being in rocketry... if you can't take it, GET A TRAIN SET!

If the guy wants to sell the hardware on fleabay, that's his business... If the ACTUAL OWNER wants it back, then it is HIS responsibility to go talk to the guy, work out an arrangement to pay for damages to the vehicle and heck even storage on the rocket if the homeowner wants to make an issue of it, and apologize for the rocket damaging his property, settle up financially, and get the rocket back, and BE MORE CAREFUL IN THE FUTURE... (and make do their level best to make sure their rocket lands where it's supposed to-- on the FIELD, not on some guy's vehicle miles away). If the rocket's owner wants to refuse to acknowledge its his, and let the guy have it, then the truck owner has every right to do with it as he sees fit, since it landed on HIS property and damaged HIS property... if he can make a few bucks off it, SO BE IT.

If anybody has any PROOF that he "stole it", "found it in the woods", "extortion" or whatever, then they better gather their evidence and make a police report. OTHERWISE, we have this little thing in this country called DUE PROCESS, and INNOCENT UNTIL PROVEN GUILTY. I hear a lot of accusations in this thread, and NO EVIDENCE, just STUPID SPECULATION based on what they're seeing from a handful of photos posted on the sale listing.

Oh, and BTW, expecting to have damages paid and such is NOT "extortion"... Keeping the rocket until such is settled isn't either...

Some of you guys need to GROW UP... Geesh...

Later! OL JR :)

Calm down. I am taking care of this guy. I do not care what this thread may look like, but I will try to make it right for him. He is upset about this and has a right to be. As for the tracking, I have been told the tracker lost signal after apogee and never regained. This is from someone who was there. That is all the info I will give. Lets let this thread die now please.

Calm down. I am taking care of this guy. I do not care what this thread may look like, but I will try to make it right for him. He is upset about this and has a right to be. As for the tracking, I have been told the tracker lost signal after apogee and never regained. This is from someone who was there. That is all the info I will give. Lets let this thread die now please.

Okay... I wasn't gonna post, but when I saw a bunch of guys getting all huffy and start accusing the guy of malfeasance without any evidence, and start throwing around accusations and stuff, well, it REALLY started getting on my nerves...

As a landowner who allows two clubs to fly off our farms, I have to see both sides of the issue... I think sometimes some folks need reminding that WE are the ones flying things off into the atmosphere that WILL come back down to Earth SOMEWHERE, and WE have the responsibility in these cases to "take care of business"... NOT the other guy who happens to be under the spot where it comes down...

I agree... better to let this thread die... Sorry, but I just wanted to sorta put a "reality check" out there...

Have a good one and good luck! OL JR :)

Back