Sunward CFX-Six Footer

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goldlizard

Reaction score
I am currently building a Sunward CFX-Six Footer for my grand son, and I am wondering what is the highest mid-power motor that can be used with this rocket in the stock motor mount? Is there a motor mount that will work with AT RMS 24/40? Is there such a thing as a removable motor mount to change between Estes motors and the AT motor? Or due to it's length it will not handle anything more than the D12-5? :)

I'll preface this by saying that I don't have a Sunward CFX six-footer. But I do have a Mean Machine and the stock motor mount accepts the AT RMS 24/40 with no problems. I would think that the limiting factor on your rocket would be the thickness of the thrust ring (does it allow the forward enclosure to poke through), and the depth of the forward tang of the engine hook. I noted that some flight logs on rocketreviews list some AT motors (https://www.rocketreviews.com/reviews-4965.html) and Apogee lists several 24mm AT motors for this model (https://www.apogeerockets.com/Rocket_Kits/Skill_Level_2_Kits/CFX-Six_Footer).

The dimensions of the 24/40 case are found here:
https://www.aerotech-rocketry.com/c...ech_rms_ext_dim_dwgs/24mm_mr_rms/mr_24-40.pdf

Hope this helps.

Looked it up, actually it's a BT-56 based rocket, about .2" thinner than the Estes. I expect it can handle plenty if built right, but could get hard to see and easily drift too far with F's. BT56 telescopes with BT55, if that is of any use.

Is there a motor mount that will work with AT RMS 24/40? Is there such a thing as a removable motor mount to change between Estes motors and the AT motor? Or due to it's length it will not handle anything more than the D12-5? :)

The AT RMS 24/40 was designed to be a direct replacement for 24mm D sized motors. If you have a rocket that uses Estes D motors and has a conventional motor hook system then the AT RMS 24/40 is just plug-n-play. Weather the rocket can handle a E or F motor is an entirely different question.

Looked it up, actually it's a BT-56 based rocket, about .2" thinner than the Estes. I expect it can handle plenty if built right, but could get hard to see and easily drift too far with F's. BT56 telescopes with BT55, if that is of any use.
BT-56 does not telescope with BT-55.

O.D.I.D.
BT-551.3251.283
BT-561.3401.300
You can get the two tubes to telescope if you peel the outer layer from the BT-55 or the inner layer form the BT-56.

Last edited:
^^-- you are correct ... not sure how I made that leap. ASP sells a T-55 telescoping tube that is very close, but they don't call it a 56. In fact most vendors only sell 55 or 56 not both (e.g. semroc vs. sunward).

Clearly, the Six-footer and the Mean Machine are different rockets with different dimensions. But they are both long thin models with 4 fins and a 24mm motor mount in the back. The point I wanted to make to the OP was that such a rocket designed for Estes black powder engines can and has flown successfully on a variety of AT 24/40 reloads without alot of modification.

I have decided that since this is my grandson's rocket, that it should burn BP motors. I will save the AT RMS for my next build, which is a Launch Pad Perseus missle. I just have decide whether to use a launch lug or go with rail buttons, and a ejection baffle or wadding. He is just excited to be able fly rockets and that his is bigger than his siblings, to me that is all that matters! :clap:

Samb: definitely. I was just trying to help.

Well then could modify for "E" size BP motor option with spacer ...

Last edited:
I could use all the help I can get. I just figured that a 8yo doesn't need anything higher powered than a D. He can watch me with my Perseus, and decide if he would like to build a higher powered rocket with my help. :)

Samb: definitely. I was just trying to help.

Well then could modify for "E" size BP motor option with spacer ...

No worries Bill. :cheers:

I could use all the help I can get. I just figured that a 8yo doesn't need anything higher powered than a D. He can watch me with my Perseus, and decide if he would like to build a higher powered rocket with my help. :)

Hey, the 8 year old in me loves to fly D motors. To me it's still the "mighty" D Estes introduced back in the day: https://www.ninfinger.org/rockets/nostalgia/70est094.html

The Launch Pad, huh. Now they have some seriously cool models. There are some build threads here that may prove useful; sodmeister comes to mind as having some outstanding examples. Good Luck!

Yeah, later on we can up it to E motors. I will look those up when I start here in a few days. :cool:

Back