TRF Is Huge in China?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chadrog

Reaction score
Maybe this isn't a new thing, but it's recently caught my eye - who (or what) are all of the Chinese users? By my count there's currently seven registered users here from china, some have been members for quite some time. Who are they? What are they? Why are they here? None have any posts, no spam links in their profiles either - what's the deal?

Give it time and the spam will come. They also may be lurkers.

I kinda thought spamming wasn't their objective, since some of them have been registered users for years.

If we're Huge in China, is there any chance of us being Big in Japan anytime soon?

Nevermind. It is the World Wide Web.

Last edited:
Wild guess here, but maybe some of them work for Shaanxi Zhongtian Rocket Technologies, otherwise known on this side of the pond as Sky Rocketry, marketed by Apogee Components.

On an obliquely related note, there's an interesting article in the March 2013 edition of "Air & Space" magazine (www.airspacemag.com) about the catastophic failed launch of a Long March 3B booster carrying the Intelsat-708 commercial payload in 1996. So, maybe some of them are trying to glean whatever smidgens of intel they can from the postings of some of our "professional" rocketeers in an effort to improve their own space technologies.

Then again, maybe they're just hoping to score some great chili or spaghetti recipes.;)

Wild guess here, but maybe some of them work for Shaanxi Zhongtian Rocket Technologies, otherwise known on this side of the pond as Sky Rocketry, marketed by Apogee Components.

On an obliquely related note, there's an interesting article in the March 2013 edition of "Air & Space" magazine (www.airspacemag.com) about the catastophic failed launch of a Long March 3B booster carrying the Intelsat-708 commercial payload in 1996. So, maybe some of them are trying to glean whatever smidgens of intel they can from the postings of some of our "professional" rocketeers in an effort to improve their own space technologies.

Then again, maybe they're just hoping to score some great chili or spaghetti recipes.;)
Even more oblique- We at the Atlas factory cheered that launch (?!) and my son, who is teaching in China now, bemoans that fact he can't find chili anywhere except high end impost stores. 1 can Hormel Chile=$4.48!!!

Seven members isn't exactly huge. How many people in China?

I believe they regulate(censor) the internet in China so the average citizen may not even be able to access TRF. Workers at the Sky Rocketry company is probably as good a bet as any other. Aerospace students might be another. Or perhaps even government monitors looking to see who in their country has accessed outside content? Then again they could be model rocket enthusiasts who's english is just good enough to gleen some of the info here but not confident enough to try to communicate.

Given that so many of the toys sold in this country are from China it's probaly workers doing market research.:p

The other thing they might be looking at is forum models.

Forums are a market and they can be profitable. Give. That information China will more then likely copy various web sites.

I've forgotten most of the names but China has their own version of google. I believe it's woogle or something a long those lines.

China even ripped off the Walmart business model with Wu-Mart.

If it has any remote success and is profitable China will pirate it.

All the US companies spend millions on R&D. We pay through the nose for...... just so they can steal the technology.
Tell me again why we put up with that?

JD

All the US companies spend millions on R&D. We pay through the nose for...... just so they can steal the technology.

JD

I can't answer that it would be deemed political.

Huge props for linking Tom Waits. from my favorite TW album no less.

cool, s6

Why don't we just ask em? I speak Chinese in the event their English is poor. Have studied it for the last 8 years as I travel there often. Hmm, and actually I am going again in March if it gets approved.....

Well just an idea....

Why don't we just ask em? I speak Chinese in the event their English is poor. Have studied it for the last 8 years as I travel there often. Hmm, and actually I am going again in March if it gets approved.....

Well just an idea....

Um Ya, I was just going to say instead of speculating openly, and being not very nice while doing so. They might just like to build model rockets, they kind of like, invented the gun powder stuff.

I seem to recall a Chinese team winning GOLD! in Slovakia. So Hi, Welcome lets talk rockets!

Last edited:
,您好!

欢迎!
我们再来说说火箭。
玩得开心。

My ladyfriend sent me a link to a utube video a few years back regarding the rocket festival in Thailand. This isn't the same video but it's similar. Old school... I wonder if the Chinese have a similar event.

[video=youtube;f_AK8dsaFR8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_AK8dsaFR8[/video]

My ladyfriend sent me a link to a utube video a few years back regarding the rocket festival in Thailand. This isn't the same video but it's similar. Old school... I wonder if the Chinese have a similar event.

[video=youtube;f_AK8dsaFR8]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f_AK8dsaFR8[/video]

Ladyfriend. I use that term a lot. I hate the term 'girlfriend', I dated women, not girls.

JD

Because everyone wants the cheapest price they can get on EVERYTHING regardless of who it affects. (ALL OF US).

Ladyfriend. I use that term a lot. I hate the term 'girlfriend', I dated women, not girls.

Of course if you are in Thailand, some of the "ladies" there are also not girls, but in a slightly different way than what you mean. :surprised:

On a more serious, rocketry-related note: do a youtube search on "bang fai" - lots of wild videos on this festival. This festival is very cool/interesting/outrageous/crazy and, while not exactly meeting NAR guidelines (by a LONG shot), looks like it would be a blast to be there for. If you've got a bit of time, check out more about it.

s6

It could be a number of things:

1, looking for the right rocket builder and designer here to kidnap and put to work for thier country.

2, looking for ideas and designs that may be usefull for thier space program.

3, and last but not least, spying out the designers and builders here that could potentially pose a threat on using thier knowledge of rockets to be used to convert them to explosive missiles that could be used against them when they come to take over the country in compensation for the trillion dollars debt we owe them.

Take your pick!

I wouldn't have though a resource like TRF would be a target like that, but I guess that's the way of the world now isn't it.

Back