Estes Astron Sprint XL

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Initiator001

Reaction score
The Estes Astron Sprint XL is a new model displayed in the 2013 Estes catalog.

It is an upscale release of the original Spint model designed by Mike Dorffler and is noted in the XL instructions.

My kit is a pre-production/review sample but should be quite similar to the final release.

The model has a length of 22.8" and is based around a BT-60 body tube. A plastic nose cone and boat tail along with laser-cut fins will make this model a faster build and easier to finish.

The motors listed for the model range from the C11 to the E12.

Estes Astron Sprint Xl 01 Front.jpg Estes Astron Sprint XL 02 Back.jpg

Dang it Bob, there you go showin off again.... man I wish I could get a rocket BEFORE it's released.......BTW, I painted my Mega Mosquito...... You know this is all in good fun :)

Hate the plastic, but a nice kit. Can't wait to build one.

I like plastic nose cones/fins/fin cans, etc. :)

My Sprint XL is built and has been painted white. Just a little bit more work and it will be done.

I will post pictures. :wink:

My Astron Sprint XL model is finished! :)

W/O motor it weighs in at 4.0 oz. That's a little heavier than the mfgs listed mass. I do tend to use a lot of filler/primer/paint/clear coat. :wink:

First flight will be this Saturday.

Estes Astron Sprint XL Finished.jpg

Your Sprint sure looks good sitting on the new Estes Display Stands. :blush:

Jonh Boren

That's a beauty Bob, looking forward to a flight report. I've always had a soft spot for that rocket. Something about those elliptical shapes. This and the SkyDart are just too sexy, if I can use that term to describe a rocket :).

Whatcha gonna fly it on? Grimracer flew his on an E30T at our Indiana Rocketry September launch... it was too fast to catch on camera but at least I got a static shot! Something slower would be good if you plan to get a photo :D

I will be attending the SCRA launch on March 2nd with the Sprint XL. Why don't you bring out your painted Mega Mosquito to fly. :wink:

I would love too.... but I've just got too many things to take care of this weekend......some day

W/O motor it weighs in at 4.0 oz. That's a little heavier than the mfgs listed mass. I do tend to use a lot of filler/primer/paint/clear coat. :wink:

First flight will be this Saturday.

View attachment 119692

That turned out really nice, Bob.

The Estes Astron Sprint XL is a new model displayed in the 2013 Estes catalog.

It is an upscale release of the original Spint model designed by Mike Dorffler and is noted in the XL instructions.

My kit is a pre-production/review sample but should be quite similar to the final release.

The model has a length of 22.8" and is based around a BT-60 body tube. A plastic nose cone and boat tail along with laser-cut fins will make this model a faster build and easier to finish.

The motors listed for the model range from the C11 to the E12.

View attachment 116715 View attachment 116716

Cool.

Whatcha gonna fly it on? Grimracer flew his on an E30T at our Indiana Rocketry September launch... it was too fast to catch on camera but at least I got a static shot! Something slower would be good if you plan to get a photo :D

First flight will be a C11-3 or D12-5 depending on weather/field conditions.

I plan to take pictures and post them here.

An AeroTech SU F32T motor would be even more 'impressive'. :wink:

Saturday was a great day for flying rockets in Los Angeles.

Temp in the 80's, little or no wind.

A fine day to have a first flight on a new model rocket. :)

I prepped my new Estes Astron Sprint XL model with an Estes C11-3 motor.

The model left the pad quickly after motor ignition.

An excellent flight with a landing in some soft green weeds.

No damage.

The Sprint XL was an straight-forward build. The use of a plastic nose and tail cone along with laser-cut fins made the build much easier than the original version.

It's a good looking model in the stock paint scheme.

Keep bringing out the 'upscale'/XL kits Estes!

Estes Astron Sprint XL 01 awaiting launch.jpgEstes Astron Sprint XL 02 C11-3 motor ignition.jpgEstes Astron Sprint XL 03 Liftoff.jpgEstes Astron Sprint XL 04 Motor burnout.jpg

Thanks for the report and pictures fellas. What a classic and classy design. The spectators you captured in your shots didn't seem to interested, Bob. Young whippersnappers !

Great detail on your liftoff shots, Jeff. Is that a fairing for the motor hook molded into the boat tail ?

A big +1 on more upscale XL kits Estes !

A short digression: On the day my avatar picture was taken (spring '72) I sacrificed my original Sprint to the sky because I blinked at ignition and it was gone on a C6.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report and pictures fellas. What a classic and classy design. The spectators you captured in your shots didn't seem to interested, Bob. Young whippersnappers !

Great detail on your liftoff shots, Jeff. Is that a fairing for the motor hook molded into the boat tail ?

A big +1 on more upscale XL kits Estes !

The motor hook fairing is molded into the plastic boat tail.

I have one on my build table right now--nice kit, it's looking good so far.

Can it be flown on a B-motor (18mm with adapter)?

Back