What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Layed down some epoxy fillets mixed with Great Planes Milled Fiberglass on the 2.6" Kraken build last night, hope to get some primer on it tomorrow when it stops raining. Also filled and the spirals on the SA-14 Archer, puttied and sanded the Nose cone as well. Should have the MMT installed and fins on by sunday!
Picked up a couple of each: F26-6, and F50-4 Pro Series, and a couple packs of A10-4 engines (for the Birdie rocket!) at Hobby Lobby with a 40% off coupon.

Last edited:
OK I'll add in:

Yesterday:
Started the finishing paint on my 18mm X-Wing. It has been waiting for paint for....ooh...3 or 4 months. It won't be a modeler's dream job since this is just a practice bird for my 29mm XWing but still it was fun.

I also started looking at the Sirius Saturn V build threads on here as I have one which I am going to build over the coming months. I think that I am leaning towards a cluster like Boris' but I have some "test" work to do on some of the techniques he uses before I start that build (namely: fiberglassing tubes and resin parts). Additionally I need to source some new CRs and Fins as I think that I'm going to mimic Boris' build on the aft end. However, I have notes and a lot of time to plan. I swore when I finished my Estes Saturn V in 2000 that I'd never ever build another one. Looks like I was mistaken!

Finally, I got in my snap ring pliers and took apart my new Loki Motor Cases. Those things are beautiful! I am excited to assemble them over the weekend in prep for next weekend's launch.

Cut the set of three 1/4-20 rods for the avbay and am now in the middle of filling the spirals in 8 feet of 7.5" BlueTube with West Systems and their 410 filler. I was also able to check the actual weight vs the sims and the Behemoth Bertha should come in very close to 30 pounds.

Finished up with my advanced class today. This is pretty good group of kids and some have been with me for four years.
Group.jpg

Laid the last fillet on my 76mm rocket. First layer of carbon tip to tip is still waiting on my Aeropoxy delivery.

image-3873916886.jpg

Provided cut dimensions to a friend for an AirFest project.

Provided feedback on CAD drawings on another AirFest project.

-Kevin

Completed finishing work on my 18mm X-Wing only to realize that I forgot the launch lug. If I had a dollar for every launch lug I forgot after painting I'd be able to buy a K-class motor I swear. Some creative sanding is in order....

Started work on my 18mm Satellite Interceptor. All fins attached, filleted and filled. Got a coat of primer on it and will start the (annoying) sanding process. I'll probably get annoyed and give it a 5-foot finish. I don't understand how you guys can prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, prime, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand, sand. Kill me! I'll prime, sand, prime, sand, sand and whatever doesn't work itself out tough! Yes, I did remember the lug on this one. It was very wise of me to build the 18mm kit before starting my K&S upscale. I never knew that the stab fins angled down. I'd have missed that for sure. Notes taken, and the strategy to build the K&S is starting to roll around in the back of my head. I am pretty sure that the K&S can be built w/o fiberglass and be plenty strong but I worry about transport and all that. I might have to do a quick build and work out fiberglass technique. Maybe I'll build a 29mm fat boy.....

Package from China with a silver and a gold space blanket. I got the cheapest I could get figureing that it would be the thinnest...it was. Perfect for parachutes. I'll get many, many from them. Should take care of the parachute shortage around here for a while :)

Took shipment of the nose cone for my 76mm rocket and a little brother for it...

image-3830530517.jpg

Since all my new rockets will be scratcbuild or kit mod, I want to have a uniform look for them, so they will be all white with few lolor ring lines and with a model name and a Serial #

on the top of the rocket we gone have the model and the SERNO

View attachment 132668

and in the bottom or the oposite size if it's a short rocket, My business Logo with the name aerospacial

View attachment 132669

EXP is for experimental, 13 is the year falow by the model # and the letter is the version. The SERNO is the tail # given when I register the rocket with the CIRN

Our club is planning a Big Daddy drag race for Fathers' Day. My daughter and I started on our entry this morning.

A curious thing about its packaging: the front claims 900ft, but the side lists 750 as the highest altitude. Another interesting bit is that Estes projects the same altitude with a C11-3 and an E9-4, both lower than their projection with a D12.

Ari.

big_daddy.jpeg

Last edited:
Hi. I'm new to this forum and am an amateur rocket guy.

Anyway, I have a question.

Can anyone tell me what might've gone wrong.

I fired an Estes Eliminator XL with E9-4 engine. It exploded on launch pad. Well, it went up about a foot, and when the engine fired, so did too the recovery charge. I have video of it and some amazing stills from that video but can't seem to post them but would love to. The engine and the screw cap blew out from the bottom of the rocket and when I looked at it, all that was left was the cardboard that surrounds the propellant. I've used c engines before and there is usually stuff left In the engine tube.

If anyone has any idea if this is common or wants to see the photos, let me know.

Thank you

Hi Tex :) Bad news is there have been reports of less-than-favorable results from the E9's. Yes, they do blow up. E12's are much less likely to do the same. I think others here will back this up...maybe.. ;)

Flew 3 rockets today, Mad Cow 2.6" Ho Jo twice and a Formula 75 (actually my L1Jr daughter's flight on an H410). Now I'm sanding, sanding, sanding, ...

Started building a Predator 10k. Modified the fin can slightly and glued the motor mount together.

Went to local Hobby Shop which has very few kits and doesn't update stock as he says not much interest, I've explained in past have to keep current ,has same kits from 7 years ago that nobody wants, has no 2013 estes catalog, hasn't seen one and didn't know they were sold and have been producing some great kits and midpower now.
Actually went to get some Tamiya brown rattle can paint so I can finish my MPC Bigfoot (Yeti) figure model for a review I'm doing. So he did have one MPC Klingon E2X type of rocket in stock which surprised me. I've been curious about the quality and such hoping that they Soyez and Titan get decent treatment so I picked that up (very colorful body tube, nice graphic on the parachute-not little squares etc). While these aren't for everybody-aimed for newbies and club builds, they will introduce people nicely to rocketry. They're sturdy and have the some of the most colorful pre-done body tubes you'll see. I think the up coming Looney Tunes versions will do well with kids and the Star Trek based ones hopefully will do well with the movie out.
Also picked up a Quest make and take it rocket , don't remember the name, was in a plain bag, just for the heck of it , low cost and will make for a quick time burner. Picked up the only Aerotech rocket there, an Arreaux that's been there for 8 years, made me a deal I couldn't refuse-1/2 off....
That's it for me recently, need to get out and fly....

I've been working with fiberglass reinforcements. The tube wrapping bit was simple enough, however, the tip-to-tip thing isn't working as well as I'd hoped. I'm sure it's just a matter of my inexperience, and will come with time. Thankfully, this rocket doesn't need it--but future ones will, and this was a fine excuse to practice the art.

Later!

--Coop

I stayed in the house the whole doggone day. We broke an all-time temperature record for the date today at 109 degrees (RealFeel[tm] was 117). Worse than the high temp was the dismal air quality and lack of any breeze whatsoever. My workshop is not down with the A/C....

Geezers have to be careful in the heat.

Back