What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rocketry 0, pinecar derby car , almost finished. Put on most of the weight. Gotta get the scale out tonight and get it to 5 ounces. Did all the things you're supposed to do, smoothed out the axels, polished the axels, sanded the wheels. It does not seem to matter cause when it race time there is always 10 cars faster than my sons. Oh Well, at least it gets him in the upper middle of the pack.

Rocketry 0, pinecar derby car , almost finished. Put on most of the weight. Gotta get the scale out tonight and get it to 5 ounces. Did all the things you're supposed to do, smoothed out the axels, polished the axels, sanded the wheels. It does not seem to matter cause when it race time there is always 10 cars faster than my sons. Oh Well, at least it gets him in the upper middle of the pack.

Are you using graphite? Or is it allowed in your group. Other than that, looks like you did ok.

Rocketry related, not much...waiting for my 29mm retainers from Hobbylinc(should come tomorrow), 24mm retainer from Rocketarium, and my Tripoli membership email from Deb. Just in a bit of a holding pattern at the moment.

Last edited:
Mixed some sawdust and TBII to fill in a gap created by my less than mediocre wood working skills. (Build thread one day)

DSCN0057.jpgDSCN0056.jpg

Yes they can use graphite, so I puff some on the axels just before we go to the race.

Yes they can use graphite, so I puff some on the axels just before we go to the race.

cool.....do you put most of your weight in the rear? I used the round weights in the boys cars this year, and put it all at the back or as far back as I could. Used the tungsten weights for my wifes car(we did an adult class too), they are pricey but more weight in less space(and I had gotten all the others that Hobby Lobby had). The cars I cut for the boys last year were a basic wedge, with weight in the back. That's about the only other thing you'd have to do that I could think of. Hope they do well!

No, I have the steel plates for weights, and they run pretty much all the way front to back.

I laid internal fillets on Upward Propensity (all of the fin-body-tube interfaces), and then proceeded to grain bond an I1299N for Disappearing Act.

No, I have the steel plates for weights, and they run pretty much all the way front to back.

That could be the problem with getting beat....if you put most of your weight at the rear, it will carry the speed farther down the track. Using the plates your probably setting it up kinda neutral, slowing down sooner. Does your son seem to get beat near the end of the track? It's all in fun though, something to keep in mind for next year maybe.

Yes he does seem to lose right at the end of the track. Still have a few days to make adjustments, I could make a couple of troughs in the back of the car and put some lead shot and epoxy in, then put a plate over top of that. This will be his last race, moving on to Boy Scouts in April, so it would be nice to be a strong competitor for a change.

Sent out registration letters for my advanced rocketry class and my donation for the 4H and open class rocketry divisions to the county fair board. Oh yeah, and I bought some wood filler and 600 grit sand paper for the Vega.

Slowly getting the fins installed on the SGM. Would go a lot better if I'd quit knocking them off just asthe glue starts to grab.

adding bondo spot putty to a dent my 17 year old daughter put in my qcc. She says " What's the big deal? It's just a piece of wood, It can be fixed."

Fixed the foam problem I had on my DarkStar Mini last night. Went to the sporting goods and hardware stores at lunch for barrel swivels and quick-links.

I visited the Sportsman's Warehouse and picked up convenience pack of the copper BBs for the nose cone weight for my Madcow Squat.

Also installed the recovery gear and nomex shock cord sleeve.

Then I washed the nose cone in hot soapy water to remove all the mold release agents and such. I plan to add the epoxy/BB mixture this evening around the bamboo skewers.

Got my composite materials, coated my Mercury Capsule in wood filler to sand, and I will sand it later. And as usual, talked with AKS a fair amount

Went to work to afford more rocket stuff. Heh.

Later!

--Coop

Drilled the holes and installed the rail buttons on my Forumla 98. Cut 20 feet of 1 inch tubular nylon and attached one end to the eyebolt on the centering ring and made loops on the end and 5 feet from the end.

Time to add the finishing touches.

Epoxied 65g of copper BB's into the nose cone of my Madcow Squat.

It's sitting in bucket of cool water while the epoxy sets...something I had to explain to Mrs. OD.

I talked rockets with Fyrwrx on da phone, shopped cj sale, answered a post by wayco &

Inspected and trying some glazing putty on Estes Nike Smoke lower bt as it had swelled a bit, looks better now than last night but showing some spiral .

Color sanded Renegade F , but will have to reshoot black , fixed silver pod void with quick and dirty mask and shoot

Seemed like two step s forward one step back on the above so pulled out GForce bts and gonna try glazing putty instead of wood filler for spirals this time. Did upper and lower and did some on nose cone, boy it needs some attention

Kenny

Last edited:
Got all three find on the Screaming Green Meanie. Started filling and sanding the nose cone. Now to decide what colors to use.

Is a Screaming Green Meanie still a Screaming Green Meanie if it's painted something other than green...:confused::confused::confused:

Back