What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
MC-NA20171230_051043.jpg
Started on updating the Madcow Nike-Apache. The fins will need to wait until it's a little warmer before I go out to the unheated shop and bevel them. -11f right now. Next weekend is should be up to 20f :)

Picked up a "Vertical Storage Unit" for rocketry supplies.
An acquaintance was changing apartments and decided to let some stuff go.

IMG_20171231_162654019.jpg

Finished installing the GPS module in my Eggfinder LCD unit. Everything fit in the 3D printed case:

eggfinder-lcd-case

Just need to drill a small hole in the front so I can see the LED on the GPS module.

IMG_3836.jpg

IMG_3838.jpg

My son and I toured the San Diego Air and Space museum while my wife and daughter watched a street performer in Balboa Park. San Diego is a pretty cool place to visit.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

Laminated 1/8" plywood and 2 pieces of 1/32 basswood, using wood glue, hoping to make 3/16". Well the experiment was a semi-success. I was able to keep the result flat and appears strong. However resulting piece is about 7/32", the same thickness as the 1/4" plywood that I have.
I will have to play with different combinations and see what I can create...

Went up to Sixty Acres and put up seven New Years Day flights on five models. The liftoff shot is a screen grab from the video of the first flight.

The Quasar was part of a lot of "help me get these out of my garage" rockets and motors. It had a spent motor with a 1971 date code in it when I got it. A few tiny repairs and she flew again today.

The Bertha made its 7th and 8th flights, the Alpha its 52nd and 53rd (the latter to 1195 feet on a 20-year-old C6-7), the Aphelion its 13th and the Nova Payloader its 17th.

There were quite a few folks at the park doing the same thing.

IMG_9205.jpg

IMG_9212.jpg

Went up to Sixty Acres and put up seven New Years Day flights on five models. The liftoff shot is a screen grab from the video of the first flight.

The Quasar was part of a lot of "help me get these out of my garage" rockets and motors. It had a spent motor with a 1971 date code in it when I got it. A few tiny repairs and she flew again today.

The Bertha made its 7th and 8th flights, the Alpha its 52nd and 53rd (the latter to 1195 feet on a 20-year-old C6-7), the Aphelion its 13th and the Nova Payloader its 17th.

Great way to spend the day Bernard!

As for my rocketry related tasks today, I cut basswood fins, airframes, and parts for five BT70 and BT70H based models, a AIM-54 Phoenix, USARMY Little John, USARMY MIM23B HAWK, a downscaled Cowabunga and a downscaled Moomba all with 29mm mmts. All parts were sourced from BMS except the basswood which was from Hobby Lobby. Currently building faster than I can fly them, I still have at least 6 or 8 rockets from 2017 that remain unflown.

So was that you that was there around 9am yesterday? I drove past 60 Acres on my way to meet family for breakfast in Woodinville yesterday morning and saw someone getting gear set up in the field...

Still trying to figure out what arrangement of drab coats for my modified Partizon. An ex-marine coworker voted for the bottom left, but I still haven't locked it down yet.

So was that you that was there around 9am yesterday? I drove past 60 Acres on my way to meet family for breakfast in Woodinville yesterday morning and saw someone getting gear set up in the field...

No, Kris. I didn't get there until a little after noon. Larry Kennedy and Brendan Williams were there when I got there and from the ensuing conversation it may have been one or both of them. Also, Dave Walp was out with a TARC team who put up one more flight as I was chatting with Larry and Brendan, then they left.

Cleaned the hardened glue out of my Quick and Thick cap. Took more effort than I expected, needed to soak the cap in hot water for a while before I could pull it out.
IMG_6439.jpg
Truly one of my proudest moments as a rocketeer.

Gad's yes, that's stuff is resilient. I try and remember to run my smallest flathead through the channels after I've been using it for a couple days.

Just ordered a Cowabunga Mammoth kit from Madcow!

I'm working on the design of a chute cannon dual deployment system for this rocket. I'm going to need to have some custom parts cut by UpscaleCNC for that.

I'll do a build thread when I start building it.

Added rail buttons and recovery gear to the Apache, so it should be set for Saturday's launch. Prepped two more reloads (five total) for this weekend. Nervously eyeing the weather.

Was gonna rough in the outlets for my new rocket palace (aka the 2 story shed) today, but with a high of 4, just too darn cold. Think I'll work on organizing what i have

I finished my 3d printer mods the other day, so I can get back to rocket building. Started to clean my office/workshop last night. I can see most of the floor & some of the work table now...PROGRESS!

IMG_5563-2.jpg

Made it to a launch today. The only thing I flew was a Madcow 4" Patriot (cardboard) on an H238T-6 that has been sitting on the shelf, assembled for about a year. Ejection right at apogee. Was quite breezy today so I set the JLCR for 400ft, and it functioned perfectly. Landed about 30ft from the launcher.
Unfortunately I didn't think about the 808 camera, or the Altimeter 2 until it was too late.

Aside from continue to hope that we can hold our launch next weekend - I built my coupler harness for my Nike Smoke since I refuse to fly on the giant teabag mount.

Back