What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Spent the day doing laundry.

Well...

Spent the day building rockets in the garage (which doubles as the laundry) and did a few loads of laundry in between.

Damn. If laundry day was like this all the time, I’d be a regular Martha Stewart. (the home maker part... not so much the criminal bits...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Spent the day doing laundry.

Well...

Spent the day building rockets in the garage (which doubles as the laundry) and did a few loads of laundry in between.

Damn. If laundry day was like this all the time, I’d be a regular Martha Stewart. (the home maker part... not so much the criminal bits...)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
LOL!

But if ya did the criminal bits then you'd be under house arrest and would get to build daily....

...martha has is dang gud

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Still brainstorming paint jobs for my Mouse 38. Stayed strong and didn't buy anything today.

Started work on Orange Crush (yep its going to be painted orange), a stubby rocket similar in style to the Mercury RDR I or II and the Tiny Pterodactyl only with a 38mm motor mount. The airframe is a piece of FG wrapped Loc 3.1 leftover from my L2 cert rocket, the nose cone is from the Tripoli Vegas Yard Sale (thanks Rob Martinez), fins and CRs are cut from scrap pieces of baltic birch I always seem to have laying around the shop, and the mmt is left over from the kids Crayon bank rockets. The rocket will be built predominantly with wood glue except the fillets which will have to be epoxy (fins are ply and airframe is FG wrapped). Currently with all parts it weighs about 14.5ozs, and it should weigh under 2lbs RTF. Motors simmed are every thing between a F40 and a J570.

Any recommended non-flourescent oranges, so far I have seen two that I kind of like Husquvarna Orange, and the Hyundai Veloster Orange, but other input would be welcome.
View attachment 332809View attachment 332810View attachment 332811View attachment 332823

Looking good Rich! Take a look at the Lexus RC-f orange.

Started work on Orange Crush (yep its going to be painted orange), a stubby rocket similar in style to the Mercury RDR I or II and the Tiny Pterodactyl only with a 38mm motor mount. The airframe is a piece of FG wrapped Loc 3.1 leftover from my L2 cert rocket, the nose cone is from the Tripoli Vegas Yard Sale (thanks Rob Martinez), fins and CRs are cut from scrap pieces of baltic birch I always seem to have laying around the shop, and the mmt is left over from the kids Crayon bank rockets. The rocket will be built predominantly with wood glue except the fillets which will have to be epoxy (fins are ply and airframe is FG wrapped). Currently with all parts it weighs about 14.5ozs, and it should weigh under 2lbs RTF. Motors simmed are every thing between a F40 and a J570.

Any recommended non-flourescent oranges, so far I have seen two that I kind of like Husquvarna Orange, and the Hyundai Veloster Orange, but other input would be welcome.
View attachment 332809View attachment 332810View attachment 332811View attachment 332823

That looks great! I am partial to the Tiny Pterodactyl, I've built two and certified L1 on one sixteen years ago.

Lots of recommendations for orange paint. It may not be bright enough, but Duplicolor makes a really nice metallic orange.

Sent from my iPhone using Rocketry Forum

I spent a little time trying to match the metallic-orange/gold Estes Mammoth body tubes. A coat of Rustoleum 2X Real Orange, and two coats of Duplicolor 0503 Orange Mist yielded a bright coppery orange which I decided that I liked well enough. Looks much darker in the photograph. In bright sun it really glows.

tangerinemachine.jpg

I spent a little time trying to match the metallic-orange/gold Estes Mammoth body tubes. A coat of Rustoleum 2X Real Orange, and two coats of Duplicolor 0503 Orange Mist yielded a bright coppery orange which I decided that I liked well enough. Looks much darker in the photograph. In bright sun it really glows.

View attachment 332863

My Series of "Chester's Cheeto Chaser" rockets.
IMG_2437.jpg

My son's Mini Squat that he built at NXRS last year is orange because I had a can handy to spray the tent stakes for safety. It is Krylon fluorescent orange - although it really is just a nice bright orange in my view.
IMG_3675.jpg

I do love orange rockets...

Last edited:
I do love orange rockets...

Who doesn't

filiblesL1_2.jpg

That's the Rustoleum 2X Real Orange of which snrkl is also fond. It goes nicely with AT Redline, I think.

Today, however, I am printing skins (for airfoiled fins -- which is more of a geometry puzzle than I should be attempting with a head full of cold medication) on which I am trying to match Krylon Maxx Gloss Purple and Rustoleum 2X Sun Yellow

Attachments

• mainfinskins.png
    mainfinskins.png
    36.4 KB · Views: 70
  • mainfinskins.png
    mainfinskins.png
    40.2 KB · Views: 70
Last edited:
Got up early and bought a bunch of AT motors on Wildman's BSS. Between the Wednesday sale (28 CTI motors) and this morning, (89 AT motors) I almost replaced the motors that I have flown this year. Since I inventoried all the flights I made, I also entered my data in the "2017 Newton Tally" thread here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?138079-The-2017-Newton-Tally-Thread/page6

Obviously, most people don't get to fly like Sharon and I do, and I feel blessed to have a wife that loves the hobby like I do. Having two L3 fliers in the family, and flying over 250 flights a year takes us out of the norm. No one vendor can supply our needs, so we buy from all the vendors that support the 15 launches we attend each year. So here's a big THANK YOU to Tim and Jackie at Wildmans, David Reese at Wildman West, Chris Short at Chris' Rocket supply, Ruby and Jim at Discount Rocketry, Robert and Gloria at AMW/Pro-X, Mike at Bay Area Rocketry, Scott at Loki, and our secret vendor, Joe H., who fills in all the gaps at the end of the year. Forgive me if I forgot someone, the bigger launches fuzz up my brain a bit, and I might have spent some cash with other vendors somewhere....

Got up early and bought a bunch of AT motors on Wildman's BSS. Between the Wednesday sale (28 CTI motors) and this morning, (89 AT motors) I almost replaced the motors that I have flown this year. Since I inventoried all the flights I made, I also entered my data in the "2017 Newton Tally" thread here:
https://www.rocketryforum.com/showthread.php?138079-The-2017-Newton-Tally-Thread/page6

Obviously, most people don't get to fly like Sharon and I do, and I feel blessed to have a wife that loves the hobby like I do. Having two L3 fliers in the family, and flying over 250 flights a year takes us out of the norm. No one vendor can supply our needs, so we buy from all the vendors that support the 15 launches we attend each year. So here's a big THANK YOU to Tim and Jackie at Wildmans, David Reese at Wildman West, Chris Short at Chris' Rocket supply, Ruby and Jim at Discount Rocketry, Robert and Gloria at AMW/Pro-X, Mike at Bay Area Rocketry, Scott at Loki, and our secret vendor, Joe H., who fills in all the gaps at the end of the year. Forgive me if I forgot someone, the bigger launches fuzz up my brain a bit, and I might have spent some cash with other vendors somewhere....
Only one you might have forgotten was Bill at BMS. I ordered a mess of parts this morning for my kids stocking stuffers, 3 lpr kits each.

Like Rich said: Bill at Balsa and Hobbylink, Hobby Lobby and Apogee

that's just motors.....

Man that's awesome. You are indeed very lucky.

But it also goes to show your contribution to the industry; thanks for that.

Nate

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Only one you might have forgotten was Bill at BMS. I ordered a mess of parts this morning for my kids stocking stuffers, 3 lpr kits each.

DANG! I knew I should have gone back and checked my receipts! Bill and Mary Ann have been a great resource for AT motors! I also get LPR tubes and stuff from them.

I just read this post to my partner (she is super supportive and comes to launches to watch all the time, as well as putting up with me and my rockets...)

I suggested that she should be more actively involved with the building and flying of rockets...

The sound she made at me kinda went like this:
hqdefault.jpg

I can still hear her laughing at me from the other side of the house...

At least she has a good sense of humour... ;)

So... Today, I just about built the Mac Performance Arcas that I won at the MWP15 raffle earlier this month.
A few points:
- I made a 1/4" kevlar y-harness instead of Mac's usual harness attachment. Just personal preference.
- I built it HED, meaning I used the Av-Bay as the NC coupler and will deploy the Main out of the nosecone (no payload). Did that mostly because I can still launch the biggest motors I want, and I save on drag and length. Sure it's no longer to scale, but I honestly like the look of hte proportions better anyway.

I still have to:
- do internal fillets and attach aft ring + retainer
- external fillets
- drill assorted holes (sheer pins, rail buttons, vent holes, etc.)
- prime + paint
- Decide on a name and design for the finished product.

Fun, quick easy build. Mac Performance makes a great kit!

I am rebuilding the av-bay on my 5" Jart that had a few problems at MWP13 with a DMS L1000. I couldn't even look at it for years after the mishap. It wasn't the Jart's fault so it will fly again.

Finished the motor tube replacement and reassembly of the BT80 x 29mm WAC Corporal that CATOed at Rocketober. I am trying to decide whether to repaint it. The field damage makes it look tough but -- since it is a semi-scale/pseudo-scale model of a single-use rocket -- it seems like it ought to be restored before it gets racked again.

Now that its in flyable condition again, I wish I'd gotten a couple of H-impulse DMS motors from Wildman yesterday. I'll certainly try to pick up an H115DM and/or an H182R, next time I buy motors.

Last edited:
Bought some stuff. Built some stuff. Dreamt about the future.

My son appears to have claimed this rocket as his own. After I finish the fillets, I'll have thing of a paint scheme and name just for him. The kit was a Mini Eagle Claw with the aft end chopped off.

AlexEagleChild.jpg

Fin fillets and nose cone recovery anchor/weight finished, just a bit of sanding then its on to primer for Orange Crush. After getting the nose cone anchor in I realized that the AT 38/1320 casing is too long by maybe an inch so no J510s for OC.

...scored a pack of Quest A6-4s with Q2G2 igniters... Thats all.

Just happened across them at a local hobby shop just around the corner. Where's the fist pump smiley?

Glued offset launch lugs on an Estes Eliminator, let it dry for a couple of hours and took it outside to paint. Tore one off mounting it, so it's back on the bench. It's hard to go back to paper rockets when you have been building the big fiberglass ones.
Also finally got the graphite nozzle and forward closure out of a Kosden 54mm casing. This was one of the many casings we got from Jim Rossen's sale. Must have been burned fifteen years ago, and never cleaned out. Must have been a high metals formula, the nozzle is a mess. Casing and forward closure are in good shape though.

Back