What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yup-the original one has a bamboo skewer for stabilty. Then I moved up to one using 3 (count 'em!) tongue depressors. Note the new one has fins....

Finally got off my butt today (after doing nothing for the last 3 weeks) and added external fillets to my Formula 98.

Finished my nose cone mold and on Sunday arvo, laid up my first nose cone. Will let that cure now for 24 hours and then fill with 2-part foam. Will take a pic when I get home from work in around 9 hours...

Krusty

Got paint on my Piranha. Unfortunately, I have a slight run :( but it is minor. Probably make a bigger mess trying to fix it. Let it dry then try Mark's special decals

Sanded down the crackle finish on my Madcow Squat and re-primed it. My fingers are crossed that this will be the final primer coat.

49'ers are not doing so well so I don't feel bad about working on rockets during the not-so-Super Bowl.

Estes Nike Smoke, wiped down with wipe - let dry and quick wipe with tack cloth , then hit with first coat of finishing primer.

Have Aeropack taped off so could not use a wand, had to hold at bottom while shooting with krylon white . then after a few minutes picked up with latex gloved hand and set nosecone on bench, then shot the other half.

May color sand the Renegade F later tonight, so I can fix or repaint small defects.

Kenny

I worked on the Madcow Pike a bit today, I'll post the progress tomorrow.

Studied for my ham license with the idea of an eventual tracker. Became overwhelmed with options, slightly, however, I think I know the direction I'm going to take.

Later!

--Coop

Sanded down what I thought to be the final primer coat on my Madcow Squat and it looks good so far. If tomorrow's weather is as warm as it was today, I might be able to shoot some color.

I used a combination of very small files and a pair of tweezers to remove some of the foam in my darkstar mini fin can. I know I would be fine with not worrying about the huge void I got and just using external fillets to secure the fins, but it's the principle of the thing. I want the fin can foamed, doggonnit. :p I think I've come up with a way to ensure that the foam makes it all the way down to the forward centering ring before it starts expanding, as well.

I also came up with an idea for a night flyer, but as I'm unlikely to be going to a night launch before October, that can wait for another project. (Unpainted FWFG diffuses light from a 500 lumen led flashlight quite nicely...)

Last edited:
Put four flights on my Semroc Lune R-1 while doing some comparative altimeter testing (new Altus Metrum MicroPeak) and also trying the new Estes launch pad and controller. Both of these worked just as they should, as did the MicroPeaks, which now have the ability to record 45 seconds' worth of flight data. The data download interface is quite creative.....

Also made good progress on an Estes Magnum Load (was in with the controller/pad) including fitting a Semroc baffle to it (the ST-13 size fits BT-56 models like this one).

Opened my Starship Vega from Semroc this morning. Man, I love these guys. I ordered this Friday afternoon, it shipped Saturday, and was here this morning. Christmas in February.

Finished making my first 4" nose cone from my Mega Der Red Max mold I made!!!
3.9-inch-nc.jpg
Not enough layers of fiberglass, so the 'cone was a bit flexible. Filled it with 2-part foam and embedded some kevlar as an attachment point and now it's solid as rock!!

Sanding and finishing comes next :)

Krusty

Opened my Starship Vega from Semroc this morning. Man, I love these guys. I ordered this Friday afternoon, it shipped Saturday, and was here this morning. Christmas in February.
Isn't it always christmas when a box of rockets arrive?

Opened up a big box to find parts for my cert 3 rocket!
Ooh! Good luck with that!!

Krusty

Got off my butt too :wink:
Finished rigging the chute and shock cord for the 2.6 MadCow Mozzie/ RTF now for next TTRA .
Built the motor tube and fin assembly for the RMS series Nike-X.
Upgraded the launch lugs on the Magician to 1/4 - tired of waiting on a rod to fly off of :sigh:
AND Last but not least repaired the D-Region Tomahawk from the E-9/8 Cato a few months ago-
Lost the section sitting in front of the rocket- about 3 inches- but it will fly again.......
2cpalph.jpg

Last edited:
I did a little sanding, a whole lot of painting, and now my Madcow Squat fincan is ready for flight. Well, as soon as I screw in the rail buttons. Now I have to get hot on the completing the nosecone mods and paint it. Saturday's launch is only four days away.

View attachment 116770View attachment 116769

And there was quite a bit of masking tape involved in painting this rocket.

Last edited:
I designed a couple rockets on ork and "finished" building my 3 E cluster rocket, just have to attach launch lugs (debating on whether to use rail buttons or launch lugs still) and have to paint it. I designed a rocket to drag race (low and fast) and a rocket that i'm trying to make go high on a small motor...calling it Zippy :bat:

Received my kids stickers from Stickershock! For him, Der Blue Max --for her, Der Pink Max. These are gonna be AWESOME!

Later!

--Coop

IMAG3120 by beerorkid, on Flickr

Went waaaaaay overboard with the wood filler, but it will sand down great. Going to do flat black after seeing CA's BSV build (I swear I am not stalking you, but you do good dude). That is tight as hell. The wife has some ideas for painting it up and will skip the decals it seems. Funny thing is that this kit was a recommended kit for the wife to decal.

I poured the fillets on the Frenzy (L) and prepped the Stilleto for paint. Both rockets are 54mm. Now I need a 5 degree rise in temps to start painting.

748b1374-4ac4-41af-857b-4d5b05b09a74_zps45064baa.jpg

I laid up the last external fillet on Upward Propensity.

IMG_20130204_210044.jpg

Started working on my PemTech Screaming Green Meanie and making a thorough hash of it. Ah, well, they can't all go as planned.

Did some sanding to the fins of my bsv to make them smooth before i glue the two sections together and coat with cwf and resand them

Back