What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sanded the PAC-3 primer. If this cold front makes it down here and I can paint I will be spraying it tonight and sanding tomorrow for flight Saturday.

The last I saw of the original nose cone of my Alpha III it was racing across a field disappearing into the distance after the shock cord came out of the body tube. I found a new nose cone that looked like the right shape. I needed to do a little adjustment to make everything fit... ;-)

20171010_061222_1507635167897.jpg

Started going through my equipment and getting everything ready for the TRC launch this weekend, and my L2 attempt! With any luck I will get two flights in on my L2 bird this weekend. I need to fly it once on a I600, since I built that motor back in June, and never got a chance to fly it, plus I need the 720 case it is in for the J350! Those might be the only two flight I get in, not too sure, though.

Removed the last of the motor casings from last weekends flights and have them in the sink ready to clean. Cleaned up a couple of avbays and downloaded altimeters. Made a few entries in my log book for flights I didn't record over the weekend. Looks like I flew eleven of the thirteen rockets I took to the SSS airfield launch.
Sharon and I made reservations at Harris Ranch Inn this morning, a nice place to stay near the TCC launch site. We're gonna try to make the "October Skies" launch, leaving next Thursday.

Started going through my equipment and getting everything ready for the TRC launch this weekend, and my L2 attempt! With any luck I will get two flights in on my L2 bird this weekend. I need to fly it once on a I600, since I built that motor back in June, and never got a chance to fly it, plus I need the 720 case it is in for the J350! Those might be the only two flight I get in, not too sure, though.

Kris if all else fails and you need a 38/720 motor I have complete one I can loan you for the cert.

Kris if all else fails and you need a 38/720 motor I have complete one I can loan you for the cert.

Sounds good. I'll make a decision when I get to the field Saturday. I need to fly that I600 anyways, and it sims out to roughly the same as the J350 in this rocket, so it will be a good shakedown flight if I do use it.

Sim'd a rocket with a lava lamp for a nose cone (LED, plastic, water & glitter). Have most of the supplies to create it. Think I'm gonna call it DarkStar. Here's the .ork for the lava lamp nose cone (which only costs $4.99 online) and a pic of the proposed rocket. Paint and graphics are just put there to keep it from looking plain and may change. It's gotta fly first anyway... Also have to build a 1010 rail launcher for it ;)

LLRV2 Pic.jpg

LLR NoseCone.png

View attachment Lava Lamp Nose Cone.ork

I actually painted (well, primed anyway...) a rocket. My rebuilt fincan for my Wildman Interceptor AAD 98 that I shredded at mini MidWest Power is finally getting paint to match the bits that survived.

Outfield
That Lava Lamp looks fun. I one time saw a guy build a Nike Smoke. The body looked like a cigarette, the filter at the nose, no nosecone, and six Nike tennis shoes bolted to the bottom. This is sort of the same category, fly something outrageous.
Tom

Decided a while back that I added way too much weight to the nose of my Madcow 4" Patriot. Drilled the dowels placed to secure the weight and the all thread. Epoxy sticks to plastic nose cones better than we give it credit..... Am going to try a jack attached to the all thread.....

Came home from work to my MissileWorks RTx GPS tracker waiting for me on my porch, just in time for the Tri Cities launch tomorrow!

IMG_5786.jpg

I installed it on the sled for my L2 bird, and then decided to do one last ejection test of the main, just to make sure.
After that, I got my car all packed up and ready for the 3.5 hr drive to Pasco before the crack of dawn!

IMG_5784.jpg IMG_5785.jpg
You cant see them all, but I have four birds that I am taking, my PSII Nike, Ventris, Binder Bat, and my MAC Performance ARCAS for my L2. Dont think they will all fly tomorrow, but at least one of them will!

TODAY is at this moment zero-dark-thirty on October 14th [2017], Saturday.

When "today" was "yesterday" - October 13th [2017], Friday, I arrived home from work to find a package on my front porch. Inside were these three "goodies" I ordered from APOGEE COMPONENTS.

My Mom passed away on October 13th, 2015. {It was not sudden, she had been ill for some time.} Because of that, October 13th is not exactly the happiest day of the year for me.

That said, receiving these three items reminded me in a small way that life goes on....

BTW, the BLACK CAT that is barely visible in the lower left part of the photo is NOT sold by APOGEE...:wink:

20171013_172606.jpg

Last edited:
Parents ordered me a G80-NBT as a birthday present.

Making up for never being able to afford this stuff for me as a kid... ;-)

It's been so many years that I've had no idea what to say when people ask me what I want for my birthday...

These days, the response is easy: "rocket stuff!"

how do you know that the cat was not arranged (in some way), by your mother to help you get through the transition :). the universe works in strange ways.
Rex

Printed about 30 nylon 1010 rail buttons to outfit the PS-II kits for rail and rod launches this coming season. Printed two 54mm reinforced retaining rings for a PML and LOC kit.

Printed about 30 nylon 1010 rail buttons to outfit the PS-II kits for rail and rod launches this coming season. Printed two 54mm reinforced retaining rings for a PML and LOC kit.

What did you print the retainers out of? I've heard the rearend of 54s can get kinda toasty.

Making some progress on the CNC router project. This thing is bigger than I envisioned...which is a good thing.

Back