What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wait, pvc fittings get used for plumbing too? Dang they are versatile. Still seems like a niche application compared to rocket stands though.

Ah - you prompted an alternate line of thinking - I *STOPPED* searching for plumbing supplies (I've been searching and have visited 4 specialty plumbing places already) and searched for *PVC FURNITURE MAKING* supplies...

Bingo: https://www.klevercages.com.au/

Got another rocket prepped for Airfest, and I think tracked down a Loki K627 for the GoDevil38. The GoDevil came in at 2 lb 3 oz ready to fly sans motor. Surface finish isn't as good as I would hope as I was rushed, but 20k may just be doable.

Got another rocket prepped for Airfest, and I think tracked down a Loki K627 for the GoDevil38. The GoDevil came in at 2 lb 3 oz ready to fly sans motor. Surface finish isn't as good as I would hope as I was rushed, but 20k may just be doable.
Wow we gotta get together at Airfest and compare GD 38's. I'm putting a Loki J712 in mine. Good luck to 20k!

K627 in a 38mm wow I think you just invented teleportation.

Finally built a rocket transporter, so what better time then to do this for Airfest - getting really tired of road rash on me rockets
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504032223.725569.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1504032237.768520.jpg

This should give me a lot more room and really didn't want them bouncing around for 11 hrs out there.

Flying Loki's 38mm 1200 case in 38mm MD rockets is the new sport of kings. :)

Kings, no, I'm a serf at best. The Kings fly 98 MDs and up.

It may be a great way to make high alt confetti...we shall see. Acceleration is around 40G, so not full on teleportation. The K1127 sim-ed over 70 Gs...that is nearing teleportation. You know every little component starts to "weigh" a whole lot more at 70 Gs...worried about exposing weaknesses in my recovery electronics mounting and setup at that kind of thrust.

Last edited:
Kings, no, I'm a serf at best. The Kings fly 98 MDs and up.
We'll get to those soon enough. For now, 38mm sport of kings! ;)

It may be a great way to make high alt confetti...we shall see. Acceleration is around 40G, so not full on teleportation. The K1127 sim-ed over 70 Gs...that is nearing teleportation. You know every little component starts to "weigh" a whole lot more at 70 Gs...worried about exposing weaknesses in my recovery electronics mounting and setup at that kind of thrust.
I did about a 70G launch with a 3d printed sled with 3mm bolts holding on some components and liquid electrical tape holding on other components. Worked like a champ. Most electronics are extremely light. I bet they'll be fine.

We'll get to those soon enough. For now, 38mm sport of kings! ;)

I did about a 70G launch with a 3d printed sled with 3mm bolts holding on some components and liquid electrical tape holding on other components. Worked like a champ. Most electronics are extremely light. I bet they'll be fine.

The Sport Scale of Kings! I like it. You can get a lot of performance out of a 38 with these motors. The sims on my 38 GoDevil with the K627 is within a couple hundred feet of my 54 Mongoose on an L1400. The Mongoose is way easier to setup though. There isn't a wasted cubic cm in the GoDevil.

My biggest concern is the aft facing, drogue ejection charges. I'm not REALLY worried about it, but I darted a 38MD rocket and the sight of a couple inches of a 5 ft rocket sticking out of the ground spooked me...that was a different problem though.

Yeah, it's crazy. We have done some inventory, but won't be talking about it until we get back from Airfest. "Lil Mule" was put to the test.

Was this Jim Rosson's sale? I seen an email that he was selling off his collection. Not in my neighborhood though.

The Sport Scale of Kings! I like it.
:cool:

My biggest concern is the aft facing, drogue ejection charges. I'm not REALLY worried about it, but I darted a 38MD rocket and the sight of a couple inches of a 5 ft rocket sticking out of the ground spooked me...that was a different problem though.
Yeah, I feel your pain there. That's no fun. May all our lawn darts rest in peace.

SOON. :dark:
I can't wait to see yours too! I'm hoping my local club gets a 50k waiver for one of our launches next year. If so, I'll join in the fun! For now, 29 & 38mm MDs with I motors keep me just under our local waiver. A hypothetical 50k waiver would be a great reason to build a 54 or 75mm MD rocket too. Hmmm. It's just RocketBux, right?

I really need to find a way to hold fins on at M3 other than vacuum bagged tip-to-tip carbon. Maybe my favorite structures guru fellow Aggie aerospace engineer can hook me up with some magic on that. Easy magic please. ;)

I can't wait to hear how all you Airfest bubbas do with your launches. Post pix & stories!

Maybe my favorite structures guru fellow Aggie aerospace engineer can hook me up with some magic on that. Easy magic please. ;)

I can't wait to hear how all you Airfest bubbas do with your launches. Post pix & stories!

I'm working on a few ideas right now. :wink: The only magic required will be the exchange of currency. And lots of it. :tongue:

I'm working on a few ideas right now. :wink: The only magic required will be the exchange of currency. And lots of it. :tongue:

Has anyone tried milling into the OD of a MD tube adhere the fins into a very slight slot? Then tip to tip? Maybe just enough to take M3.

I'm not even in the same wheelhouse - never built an MD though I'll be flying one at AF - built by rfjustin

Let the cubic dollars flow! (I'm going to need another job, aren't I?)

Has anyone tried milling into the OD of a MD tube adhere the fins into a very slight slot? Then tip to tip? Maybe just enough to take M3.

I'm not even in the same wheelhouse - never built an MD though I'll be flying one at AF - built by rfjustin
I've heard it talked about here, but it doesn't seem like the math would work out in your favor to cut into what little structure is there. I'm not a structures guy though (see AeroAggie for that).

Last edited:

I don't see any benefit to trying to mill a partial slot on an MD. There's almost nothing to gain, but a lot of risk. Tip to tip and a good fillet adhesive are more than adequate for aerodynamic part of M3 (assuming you've done the flutter homework). Heat is the bugger that'll bite you. There's lots of guys doing it to varying degrees of success with high temp epoxy treatments to leading edges.

I finally edited the video from my Vanish 29 ejection test back in May. Not very exciting, but it worked.

[video=youtube;MjWacZ6m3lA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MjWacZ6m3lA[/video]

Yes. Sharon saw it and bought it. Now I have to find a place to keep it all.:eyepop:

That ought to have some good Kosdon stuff in there. Let me know if you come across any stuff you'd like to unload.

Finished prepping the go devil 54 for a K250, shows 17.5k for altitude. Have a L1040 for it too, which should crack 20k. Prepped the 4" tomach for a N1000, looking for 30k with it. That was Mondays work. Tuesday, drove 600 miles with the store....will be in Kansas today.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Finished prepping the go devil 54 for a K250, shows 17.5k for altitude. Have a L1040 for it too, which should crack 20k. Prepped the 4" tomach for a N1000, looking for 30k with it. That was Mondays work. Tuesday, drove 600 miles with the store....will be in Kansas today.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Rocketry Forum mobile app

Are you using the Tailcone Closure for the Go Devil flight ..does it work with that motor ?

Kenny

K627 in a 38mm wow I think you just invented teleportation.

Finally built a rocket transporter, so what better time then to do this for Airfest - getting really tired of road rash on me rockets
View attachment 326930
View attachment 326931

This should give me a lot more room and really didn't want them bouncing around for 11 hrs out there.

Nice work...very creative.

Back