What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did the laundry!

IMG_1476.jpg

Today was rocket cleaning day. I washed all my parachutes and recovery harnesses and hosed down my fibreglass rockets (and used a damp rag to wipe down the others) to get rid of all the accumilated BP/AP residue from the past few years of flying.

Did the laundry!

View attachment 324747

Today was rocket cleaning day. I washed all my parachutes and recovery harnesses and hosed down my fibreglass rockets (and used a damp rag to wipe down the others) to get rid of all the accumilated BP/AP residue from the past few years of flying.

I didn't know many people remembered what those yard turds were for anymore...

Nice collection btw.

My newest addition to the fleet...
Wildman 4" Drago XL with StickerShock decals. Decals include notation and final position of "The Immortal Game" (Anderssen v Kieseritzky, London 1851)
Rocket is officially named "The Immortal"

1501370389154.jpg

My newest addition to the fleet...
Wildman 4" Drago XL with StickerShock decals. Decals include notation and final position of "The Immortal Game" (Anderssen v Kieseritzky, London 1851)
Rocket is officially named "The Immortal"

Looks good. How's the stability?

Started first fill and prime on an 8" pos (no-that does not stand for 'point of sale'). Lots of real estate so it soaked up 2 cans of primer and it's baking in the van to cure. I might go with a power sander this time, which offends my purist ideals but satisfies my torn rotator cuff. Working name is Momma Magg. I also like Magg Pi...

I actually got to a rocket launch. First since May. Launched my Wildman Demon sport on a HUGE :rolleyes: F25 and my Interceptor sport on a CTI G80 skiddy. Winds were calm and both landed dry (most important at "The Bong"). The young boy brought along his Code Red on a B6-4 for closest to the pad and his Shuttle Express (sans shuttles) for two flights very close to the pads on the other 2 B6-4's.

Finished up the Avbay for CJ's old 2 stage rocket. I've been working on it off and on all month long. Now it has an RRC-3 with an Eggtimer Wifi switch and a Quantum in the Sustainer Avbay, an Eggfinder in the nosecone, a PET2+ timer and a Stratologger CF in the interstage coupler. I had to add a couple of 2s lipo's to power the Quantum and Wifi switch, so I built custom battery boxes to hold the 950 mah batteries.
Sims are showing that the combo of an AT K2050 Super Thunder and a CTI K160 classic longburn will put it up around 11,000 ft.
Since the sustainer Avbay will be over 10 ft. up, I'm glad I can arm everything in there with my Iphone.

Used restored lathe originally intended for rocketry to make headstock machining possible for smaller lathe to rebuild from the small to large.

emx58q5RrVk

I did a little filing of the fin slots followed by a dry fit of all the parts for my new Madcow Mouse 38. Looks like it'll be a fun mid-power rocket to add to the collection!

IMG_2106.jpg

Saw a Mercury, a Gemini, and an Apollo at the Adler Planetarium and the Museum of Science and Industry in Chicago.

There was a great exhibit about Jim Lovell at the planetarium. It told a story about him building a solid fuel rocket from scratch as a kid. It made a good impression on my three kids.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1501737108.313173.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1501737130.136675.jpg
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1501737146.495106.jpg

Cool. I particularly like the second picture.

She was so excited that she looked like Mae Jamison. Time for me to buy her autobiography. Role models like her, plus those in the movie Hidden Figures, are great for my kids.

I haven't done much with rocketry for the last few months....too busy working and doing other family activities on my days off. But I did just get an order of engines, Estes and Aerotech, and hope to launch some rockets sometime soon. We've had quite a dry spell which has shut down outdoor burning of any kind so that's a hindrance as well. But on a positive note all the local farmers are still haying fields, a few large ones I have permission to fly in (rockets and RC), so when we finally get some significant rain I'll be good to go.

Bought more mid-power reloads yesterday, and waiting for the rains to come so launches can start!

Go the fins on my GoDevil38, and have two sets of fillets done. Going to be close as to if I can finish before Airfest. CF tip-2-tip will slow me down, but I'm building for the Loki 38-1200 case, so I'm not going to leave that off.

I can just make that case fit If I go traditional DD with drogue-less (or a small streamer) at Apogee.

I bought some paint for my LOC Graduator, sanded the fins, packed up some rocket parts to send to some rocketeers.......
A full rocketry like day for me!! :)
Thanks,

Continued prepping wood parts for an upcoming build of an Accur8 short kit. Today I applied medium CA to all the trailing knife-edges of the basswood parts and sanded them glassy-smooth. Ready for primer.

Back