What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Glued the fins on the MDRM. If I had thought to bring a syringe with me I would have injected upper fillets for the center ring at the same time.
Sloshed internal fillets on the bottom of the mid centering ring and 2 of the fins right before I left for work.

Possible Rocket Shop, maybe by the end of this year!
01904a215bab56dc859a12d6a4ed66e2.jpg

Depression is getting the best of me, though all my stuff is back out of storage....again....I find it hard to get in the mood to build.
Looking at old pdf versions of the catalogs isn't helping me either right now. Seams to be adding to my depression.
All my titebond's froze in the back of my truck, were they were for 3 weeks (Thanks to this stupid apartment complexes ridiculous new manager).
So I conned my wife to getting me a bottle of TBIII so I could continue building.
I coated a body tube, obviously not use to new glue, it ran and sagged like heck. Had to sand it all off and start over again.
Cut, sanded, air foiled new fins for the BT-50 version of the Wizard collection, and puttied with Elmers Wood Filler.
Going to sand that and paper the fins tonight, or at least try to...if I can muster up enough umph to do so.
BTW, they go through managers here as fast as granny changes her undies.

Sounds like you've got a bad case of Cabin Fever! You need to come down to the Gulf Coast and soak up some sunshine and warmth to re-energize!

Seriously, Depression is no joke. I was diagnosed in 1998 with Major Depressive Disorder. I grew up in the cold north and spent some years in North Dakota with the USAF. The short, not as cold and gloomy southern winters have been a big help to me.

All the wraps are done, tunnels on, and launch lugs glued. Now just waiting on the arrival of the Moldin Oldie Saturn V fins, fairings and tower from Sirius Rocketry and she'll be ready for final touch up and into the queue for painting.

20170331_141447.jpg

Continued internal fillets on MDRM. Looking at it today, I realized that I should be doing the external fillets at the same time.... DOH!!!!!
Stopped at Hobby Lobby and grabbed a Nike Smoke with the 40% coupon. Looking at their stock, I may have to place an order with some company or other to keep feeding this habit.

Somebody mentioned the other day, "I wonder what the housekeepers think of you building rockets in your [hotel] room...." I'll have to make it a point to ask... ;)

Sounds like you've got a bad case of Cabin Fever! You need to come down to the Gulf Coast and soak up some sunshine and warmth to re-energize!

Seriously, Depression is no joke. I was diagnosed in 1998 with Major Depressive Disorder. I grew up in the cold north and spent some years in North Dakota with the USAF. The short, not as cold and gloomy southern winters have been a big help to me.

The Gulf Coast sounds nice, but I like Winter. Clean, clear, crisp dry air is really easy to breath for me.
That hot humid crap in the summer is for the birds. I can hardly breath in heavy air.
I'm afraid my depression is more of an economical one.
Anything I am able to change, I do. This ain't one of em.

I've got the ole' bi-polar II crap and with the weather we've had in March, I've been hearing all sorts of stories about the rise in patient appointments throughout western Wa. They say it's gone ballistic and I concur. It's been reeking havoc with me. Just got out today driving around with the top down while the sun lasted and it DOES make a difference! Now if that can only translate into work being done on these models. At least I got the interstage stringers on. What a relief! Don't know yet where I'll be going from here. I'm looking at my David Weeks drawings and am looking into adding more detail on the interstage and third stage.

Witnessed and signed off on quite a few TARC flights - including a pair that I am pretty sure will send that particular team to the finals (sum of two flights, 16.98 points). More tomorrow, Sunday and even Monday (weather permitting).

Multi-tasking at work. 😁
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491065623.765615.jpg
Nike Apache, Goblin (to replace the one I lost last weekend), and a 2nd Sprint XL (it was on sale... Why not? 😁).

Though I really wish it were raining outside. 😡 Dang Mother Nature! Why do you tease me so? 🙁
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1491065840.652784.jpg

I wish I had your ambition Tango

I don't know that it's ambition as much as shear boredom! Weekends are really slow at work, but I have to be here, so I found something to occupy my time. I have a 1/6 scale R/C warbird I started building a year and a half ago at home and can't seem to find the motivation to want to work on it at all. :sad:

Today I learned that you only need to be L1 certified to get access to the research forum here. For some reason I thought it was L2, and that was my only motivation to get L2 certified. So I'm throwing away my study guide, donating my J270W to an animal shelter or Goodwill, and living the good life. Fail or pass can kiss my ass, I'm staying L1, baby!

Today I learned that you only need to be L1 certified to get access to the research forum here. For some reason I thought it was L2, and that was my only motivation to get L2 certified. So I'm throwing away my study guide, donating my J270W to an animal shelter or Goodwill, and living the good life. Fail or pass can kiss my ass, I'm staying L1, baby!

Nice try...

Finally after 2 years and 3-4 flights I finished painting and decaling my BBZ clone. The Blue Bird Zero name is painted the rest of the graphics are home made decals. The airframe is full length double tubed for any 24mm motor I could possibly want to fly. All parts were purchased from Balsa Machining Service.
1491092695417.jpg

Last edited:
Since I didn't follow the directions when I cut the balsa planks for the MDRM, I have a usable bit of "scrap".
Decided that I need to do something useful with it. Rockets with a long narrow fin profile would do just that.
Upscaled The Estes Wizard to BT60, made a template and still have some left over. BT60 upscale of the Estes Viking uses a bit more. I still have some remaining that will become some sort of 6 fins and a nose cone.... Brought the wood, templates and knife to work tonight....

DSCN3842.jpg

Got a Semroc Trident cheap. Debating over a build thread since there already exist some.

How high do they go on 18mm composite Ds?

Picked up 10,481.5 Ns of AT White Lightning awesomeness :headbang: :headbang: :grin: (M1939)
Now, to paint the rocket that goes in... :eyeroll:

Got a Semroc Trident cheap. Debating over a build thread since there already exist some.

How high do they go on 18mm composite Ds?

The ejection charge on that may be too frisky for that rocket's particular ejection system, maybe not though. My trident probably only gets 200-250' on a C6, so a D shouldn't get much more than 400ish.

Drove over to Wapakoneta, OH to do some demonstration launches at the Neil Armstrong Air and Space Museum with other members of the Wright Stuff Rocketeers (NAR #703). It was rocket day at the museum and people would stop by to watch before or after they visited the museum. The museum hosted a build and fly in the afternoon so we helped 10 or 12 kids to launch their first rocket.

Crimeny, it was cold out there. I launched 6 rockets. I would guess the guys in the club put up 50 or 60 in total. The field is slightly larger than a postage stamp, so mostly A, B and C motors and even a few D motors. The trees grabbed one of mine, but I knocked it loose with a pole. Another guy climbed a tree to get his rocket, but we knocked it loose with the pole before he got halfway up the tree. The Holiday Inn Express roof claimed one, but we pulled one off the carport at the front of the hotel after the rocket floated all the way over the hotel.

Cut my 'waste' balsa... Got 5 fins for a Wizard, 3 fins for a Viking and 5 slightly smaller Viking like surface mount fins. Time to order a few tubes and nosecones....DSCN3843[1].jpg

Launched my Goblin 5.5" on an AT I366R at the April Fools Day launch at Snow Ranch.

Hit 1882' and it simmed at 1900' so I was only 18' off.

Used a new Fruity Chutes Liner instead of a nomex blanket and my JL Chute Release loved it.

Last thing I did was buy another I366R and an AT I435T for the next launch whenever and wherever it may be.

Thanks to Capt Low 'n' Slow and to Olga his photographer/chase crew/banana bread maker for moral support and for retrieving my rocket from the top of the infamous Round Mound.

Finally after 2 years and 3-4 flights I finished painting and decaling my BBZ clone. The Blue Bird Zero name is painted the rest of the graphics are home made decals. The airframe is full length double tubed for any 24mm motor I could possibly want to fly. All parts were purchased from Balsa Machining Service.
View attachment 316234

That turned out real nice. Is that nose cone the same profile as the Sprint XL?

Back