What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got some work done on my new Wildman Blackhawk 54:
- started attaching fins
- ordered 2 kevlar recovery harnesses and stainless hardware from OneBadHawk
- ordered a new Eggfinder Mini from Eggtimer Rocketry
- designed & printed first draft of a dual altimeter av-bay sled

planted a model rocketry hobby seed, hopefully it will take root and thrive. I gave a friend an RTF crayon(purple) to give to his daughter as an Easter Present.
Rex

Got some spray painting done and got decals on a few; bought some plastic detail bits and some decals at the LHS. There's still time left in the day, so I might get some work done on a few other rockets yet today/tonight.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490315222.442093.jpg
    ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490315222.442093.jpg
    856.7 KB · Views: 13
  • ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490315508.582925.jpg
    ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490315508.582925.jpg
    787.7 KB · Views: 11
Cut 2 of the balsa planks for the MDRM. This is some of the hardest balsa I have run into. Was noticing that the "waste" is big enough for a set of 6 small fins. Have a couple PNC-56 at home, might have to buy a piece of tube....

Finished painting the Bomb Pop. Seemed fitting to have it live up to it's name...
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490323049.500500.jpg

And now for something completely different...having just finished up my L3 build I busted out the tub of LPR kits, and picked out my next project.

Ah the new Lego Millennium Falcon kit, I picked it up for my son last Christmas, great kit. I think I have more fun building them than he does!

It is a nicely thought out kit. My older son (8) is about 1/3 done. He builds each step, and then I check it so he doesn't get 25 steps on and nothing fits. Typically have a boy on each side of me, and bounce back and forth checking steps. The Legos get most of their attention on rainy weekends.

Attempting Waterslide decals for the second time so far they look tremendous IMO, the artwork is all mine and done using InkScape. The white rectangle is where the decals with my name, NAR# and Phone# are, I edited them out prior to posting the pic. The decals are done on Experts Choice Clear Inkjet decal paper, using Testors decal bonder to seal.

MiniFrenzyDDdecals2.jpg

Put in a bid at work to get a May launch date off so I can attempt my L2. I tried three different avenues to get an April date off with no luck, so hopefully May will work out.

Putting the finishing touches on a Estes Mercury Redstone next up AreoTech G Force for my Level 1.

Mike

Wow, I just noticed this thread has over 16,000 replies and over 1.2 million views!

Our equipment only had a dial selector, so no drags races...but they're all mine, so recovery would have been tricky :p I'm pretty sure the MDRM in the back on a G64 would have won it though...

Finally flew something yesterday for the first time in 2 years or so!

Put my venerable LOC Ultimate up on (1) G125T, (2) F15s and (4) E16s. All lit on the ground with ematches plus a touch of thermalite for the center G125T. Probably hit about 1500-2000'. Perfect apogee motor deployment of 60" LOC chute for a soft landing and a nice long walk. A real "old school" style flight.

https://youtu.be/RSi9cpB7hLA

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490543708.526213.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490543743.214892.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490543758.522739.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1490543766.859827.jpg

Got the paper shrouds on the Estes Saturn V. Glad I read Chris' blog on his builds because I went through two sets of test shrouds before I was confident enough to utilize the ones provided in the kit. Also got the nozzles built and painted. A lot more detail to this Saturn build then I'm used to but it will be worth it when it's done.

Nozzles.jpg

Finished some of the last steps on my FG Mini-Frenzy, clear coating is next, and adding the chrome strip around the top of the switch band above the roll pattern. Small decal just below rail-button hole is my information just in case the rocket gets lost. This is my second attempt at home brew decals and it worked fairly well IMO, the decals required 2 good coats of Testors Decal Bonder to keep them from rolling to easy (they needed to be a bit thicker), after placing them some MicroScale MicroSol was used to make sure everything laid down perfectly. The roll pattern will be cut after 24 on the joint between the switch band and the lower airframe, the two meet just at the point where the long bars meet the checker pattern.

MiniFrenzyDDdecals5.jpg MiniFrenzyDDdecals4.jpg MiniFrenzyDDdecals3.jpg MiniFrenzyDDdecals6.jpg

(Yesterday) I took a pile of LPR/MPR rockets and motors to the local R/C field to launch. I intended to get there earlier than most of the R/C guys but one, Andy Woerner, was already there with his R/C airplanes, but obviously he didn't mind, he even gave me an AT 29mm reload case!
[video=youtube;_bBRd6HVwV0]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bBRd6HVwV0[/video]

Glued the balsa planks to the plywood frames for the MDRM. Also glued the upper centering ring to the MMT (twice). Wasn't paying attention and put it on the wrong end. Thankfully the Gorilla glue wasn't completely set and was able to get it off. I had to cut the spacer/cardboard fillet, but was able to make it round again with a wrap of tape. Should be good enough to keep the centering ring from slipping off (considering that all of my other HP builds are just fine with only a glue fillet).

Back