What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fixed the paint (orange peel) that I screwed up last week. Lightly wet sanded the entire thing and then reapplied 2 light coats on it. I figure 6 coats of paint and 3 coats of primer should be enough.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Fixed the paint (orange peel) that I screwed up last week. Lightly wet sanded the entire thing and then reapplied 2 light coats on it. I figure 6 coats of paint and 3 coats of primer should be enough.

It will give you enough room to rub out any light scratches, but will be prone to deep chipping.
One of my very first rockets I filled spirals and such 40 some years ago had a lot of paint and primer on it.
It's got a couple deep chips, and where the BT flexed a little on hot landing is some nice cracks.
Post pics if you can.

Understood. I have always been a bit heavy on the paint. I just can't help myself. I might learn one day. You would think after painting stuff for 35+ years one would learn. I read in another thread about the cracking and chipping. I will be a bit more light handed next time.

Hopefully, you can see the pics. I must have deleted the orange peel pics, because I can no longer find reference to them.

Got tired of sanding and threw some paint on Fat Daddy. Came out better than I expected. The perfectionist in me says keep filling and sanding. The lazy me says it's good enough.

001.jpg002.jpg

Is that a kit or your own design? Has a nice sport look to it.

Not my design. It's a kit from Chris' Rocket Supplies. I agree, it does have a great support look. It's not DD, so it'll be a great kit to use the JLCR with.

Hand dressed knife edges on a set of 4 laminated fins-will pick the best three after filling/primer for a "D" giant (40mm) alt bird. Went thru a box from a launch last year (?) and found 5 motor cases, a few reloads and a weird set of high-speed carbon-fibre fins still in the package I have no idea what they go to or why I had them there. Found another Aerotech drill still in the package (???!!!) and a new (really old) Aerotech 29-120 case also still in the package. Finally unpacked my Predator from Wildman and verified it was a rocket. Goes to the top of the pile. After 4 others.
When you know Al Ziemer-everyday can be like Christmas...or maybe Easter....I forget...

Prepped rockets for "Holtville Havoc", I'm not sure how many.... Sharon worked in the office. We got hammered with work this week, and only had three days to catch up before leaving for this weekends launch. Tomorrow morning I'm doing a mass motor building blitz, then packing the trailer with rockets. Hopefully leaving around 1 PM to meet up with AMW/Pro-X at the airport.

Prepped rockets for "Holtville Havoc", I'm not sure how many.... Sharon worked in the office. We got hammered with work this week, and only had three days to catch up before leaving for this weekends launch. Tomorrow morning I'm doing a mass motor building blitz, then packing the trailer with rockets. Hopefully leaving around 1 PM to meet up with AMW/Pro-X at the airport.

Makes sense..you go to the Airport to fly :grin:

The Havoc is on !

Safe journey and will see you there !

Kenny

Got my PSII Nike, MegaDRM and an Estes D-Region Toma in the mail today. I'm pretty excited about the Nike build, waiting for my health to improve so I have the stamina to put it together correctly.

Making plans for a new Canaroc Orion 4 replica / upscale in OpenRocket. This one will have dual deploy (Apogee's 29mm E-Bay, Stratologger CF). I'm not losing this one...unless a giant Owl takes it.

Finally finished my MDRM.
2310c005b6a9514999a6b85bbd112910.jpg

that is going to get real messy real quick if you launch it like that...:). nice paint, what did you use?
Rex

that is going to get real messy real quick if you launch it like that...:). nice paint, what did you use?
Rex

Haha. I know. I sprayed a super thin mist of Krylon silver metallic and the followed up with Dupli metal cast red and the Dupli clear coat.

I prepped an Aerotech Strongarm for club launch Sunday. This will be a test flight. Testing Jolly Logic Chute Release set for 300'. And a test to an airframe repair I did. AT H182R, drilled 6 seconds off. 1.2 gr. for separation. Pad weight 2.69# Should be a great flight. Is there ever really a bad one?

After some calling around last month I was able to find an auto-body shop that rented me their spray booth. I went there today for an hour and a half to lay down my matte clear and finish my re-painted Darkstar (Bizzy Bee). Man what a treat, down-draft exhaust, awesome air delivery system, heated up to something like 120 if I wanted but I sprayed @ 80, just a real treat!

Not that I am superstitious however being an ex boat owner I know there is a specific way that you rename a boat, otherwise you're tempting your fate with spending some time with Davy Jones locker. I repainted, re-themed and renamed this rocket but I have yet to make amends with the rocket gods, what is one to do?

It finally warmed up a bit and wasn't raining today. Too windy to fly LPR or RC foamies so I grabbed my bomb cans and laid primer on my Mini AGM-33 Pike, white paint layer on my daughter's Estes STM-012, primer on some RC airplane parts, and finished the last two sets of internal fillets and epoxies the rear CR on my Madcow Sea Wolf. It was a productive day.

After some calling around last month I was able to find an auto-body shop that rented me their spray booth. I went there today for an hour and a half to lay down my matte clear and finish my re-painted Darkstar (Bizzy Bee). Man what a treat, down-draft exhaust, awesome air delivery system, heated up to something like 120 if I wanted but I sprayed @ 80, just a real treat!

Not that I am superstitious however being an ex boat owner I know there is a specific way that you rename a boat, otherwise you're tempting your fate with spending some time with Davy Jones locker. I repainted, re-themed and renamed this rocket but I have yet to make amends with the rocket gods, what is one to do?

Build a Swift, paint it in the same colors and sacrifice it to the Rocket Gods, a flight on a A10-3 should suffice ;)

Looks great! How did you paint around the fillet to have such a smooth curve?

Awesome looking Michael! However - what is this superstitious boat naming are you talking about?? I just bought a boat ... and we are talking of names this morning, seriously. My first boat, prefer not to donate to Mr. Jones

Build a Swift, paint it in the same colors and sacrifice it to the Rocket Gods, a flight on a A10-3 should suffice ;)

lol, someone should come up with a ceremony. My go-to is to splash a bit of wine on it then just drink the bottle.

Looks great! How did you paint around the fillet to have such a smooth curve?

Thanks.

Mark at Stickershock cut me some 3M paint masks. Mark and I shot a few ideas back and forth and came up with a theme.

It was supposed to be red and black and named "Red Velvet" the velvet part is because it is a matte velvety finish. Then I filled the red with yellow in the graphic Mark made and I thought it looked better so decided to paint it yellow instead.

Awesome looking Michael! However - what is this superstitious boat naming are you talking about?? I just bought a boat ... and we are talking of names this morning, seriously. My first boat, prefer not to donate to Mr. Jones

Thanks.

Trust the Aussies to have a web page dedicated to it https://www.boatnames.com.au/boat-naming-renaming-ceremony.htm Below is a copy paste of part of it.

"To change the name of a vessel without consulting Poseidon is to invoke his wrath, so in order to change a boat's name, a traditional ceremony is used to appease the gods of the seas. The first thing that must be done when renaming a boat is to purge its old name from the Ledger of the Deep, and from Poseidon's memory."

Wow,, did that come out smokin Michael...
How cool was it painting in a real spray booth....
That must have been fantastic,,
just focus on painting, not on fuzzies floating all over the place ...

That came out really great man...

Don't focus on the superstitious stuff,,
you'll bring something you don't want,, lol...

Teddy

Haha - funny read on the boat, glad I don't believe in superstition - but fun nonetheless . We just bought a new boat - so no renaming necessary- but we are fiddling around with names. "The Adams Family" or "Acute boat" blah blah , kinda fun. Not rocket related but fun, it may actually curb my rocket plans - but still plan on Midwest Blast @ 3Oaks , Airfest and MWP.

Last edited:
Haha - funny read on the boat, glad I don't believe in superstition - but fun nonetheless . We just bought a new boat - so no renaming necessary- but we are fiddling around with names. "The Adams Family" or "Acute boat" blah blah , kinda fun. Not rocket related but fun, it may actually curb my rocket plans - but still plan on Midwest Blast @ 3Oaks , Airfest and MWP.

When I was 24 I bought a 26' cruiser and my friends kept asking me if I named it yet and my answer was always the same "not yet". Finally one of my buddies said I have a name for you "Knot yet", so she was named...out of the water of course :) Have fun boating, I spent 10 years boating in Georgian Bay, which if you have never herd of before you should check it out. It is two hours north of Toronto and it is incredible and incredibly treacherous, not for the fair weather boater.

If you like Islands and rock (the Canadian shield) then this is the place to be for fresh water boating.

https://www.google.ca/search?q=geor...587SAhUm44MKHZzxB2kQ_AUICSgC&biw=1440&bih=727

I like the Adams Family!!!

Bad day for the new Trajector. An Estes F motor totally blew up. Total carnage. Will Estes cover this under their 1yr warranty?

ba145cc37fa0637b12c145197a357540.jpg

012430ac4baf672b898d3d613fec2172.jpg

6edb7c21fde3246c8f3220f8b046140b.jpg

398b4536e90b34b547cbb0e04ca01378.jpg

929a5f18d4302b1291127ed857339254.jpg

11c0e36f04283f5a747f64a7ab5c1889.jpg

9aa53da7355bc4fce156e59f9f71e816.jpg

b16ccb0fa1929691fe49af0aee17681f.jpg

0db7615d9c50531f4c9d7e20606546f9.jpg

2437c4d47713bf49d39b0ab29e4c6c9d.jpg

4f192b8fad44e2b861372df8e8c24ecc.jpg

417cd490794f55de5c3c847646feb7ce.jpg