What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday: FINALLY made some build progress on my upscale Vector Force. Motor mount is now in with enough Rocketpoxy that it ought to withstand just about any motor I throw at it.

Also yesterday:
"Huh, I think I may try to get this Fliskits Nantucket Sound build started. $@#$! can't find the directions"
"Huh. Maybe I'll start the Estes Tercel glider instead"
"Um. That is not a slap-it-together kit, is it. Yikes. I'm going to bed"

Making progress on the Secret Santa Blackstar Voyager.
Got all exposed spirals filled (with the proper wood filler this time....) and am working on gluing the rings in the BT-60 barrels. Think I'm gonna just stare at the fin stocks and hope they get easier.

received_710785629100121.jpgreceived_710785725766778.jpg
Meanwhile, while the glue dries, the 3D model is coming along. May be able to crank out a CP after awhile.
Blackstar1.PNG

More updates on this one please!

I freakin' love that rocket, haven't worked up the nerve yet to try it but maybe next year.

Oh c'mon, you're a scratch build master! I'm just following the instructions (except where I'm ignoring them cuz I think I can do it better .....).

Seriously, with some of your threads, you'll have no trouble with the Blackstar. (I know some don't like superglues, but a couple tiny dots could save you 15 minutes of holding half a prism fin together until the TBII sets enough)

Oh c'mon, you're a scratch build master! I'm just following the instructions (except where I'm ignoring them cuz I think I can do it better .....).

Seriously, with some of your threads, you'll have no trouble with the Blackstar. (I know some don't like superglues, but a couple tiny dots could save you 15 minutes of holding half a prism fin together until the TBII sets enough)

Well, I've got a full slate laid out for this year, so maybe I'll go after it next year. I've never actually employed superglue for temporary tacking of fins, but I don't see why not in the appropriate circumstance.

Hosted a small 4H group for their first launch - Starhawks and Make-It Take-Its on Estes A8-3s and Quest A6-4s. Lots of squeals of delight and 26 logged flights (including two "demos" of my Semroc Astron Trident). A good afternoon.

It was yesterday, but I went to OROC's first launch of the year. I flew a few low power flights while my students showed off the upscale Dragonfly (12.75" x 122") that we built last year. The sun was shining and the wind was calm - doesn't get much better.

Built a Show Stopper, my wife said it looks "girly", bingo she gets to keep it. Ordered an Argent, Big Daddy, Magician and a few other low powers.

I started 3 Estes models. Mini Max, Honest John, Super Alpha. Interesting to see that the recommended motors for the Hojo are more than the Maxi Brute Hojo. To be expected of course based on what was available when released. I need to build the min Hojo too so I can fly all three.

Recently I built a Mammoth and a Sprint XL as well. I really am looking forward to painting weather.
Also, my wife made some campsite reservations for just after Rock Lake this year in Southern Alberta. Been a while since I've been there.
Seems crazy to be booking sites for July 2nd on but the pickings are already slim.

Yeah but flying the Maxi Hojo is scary on a D12-3, and the vacu-form fins on mine are too flimsy to trust with a composite motor. I think I flew mine once, and that was enough for me. The new D-powered HoJo, by comparison has the perfect amount of power. It's a great flyer.

Yesterday I sanded the CWF on all the wood parts and body tube of my Sea Wolf. I think it went well........

Man covered in dust.jpg

tightfit2.jpgtightfit1.jpg
Got the rear rail button mount in on my upscale Vector Force. When I dry-fit everything, it was "Oh, that'll fit between the mmt and the BT. It'll be tight, but I can definitely get it in there"
Of course, when I actually went to slide it in, it would only fit if I gently squeezed the BT. 5 minutes of super-careful dremeling later, and I have a short rail-button mount. Screw still goes well into the threads, and it's epoxied in, so it should be fine.

Also got my posterboard fin jig cut, looking forward to gluing fins in the near future.

Got tired of looking at my big BBIII in just paint so this morning I got up early and put the vinyl on. Much better now. Getting more work done on the Sea Wolf today.

Yeah but flying the Maxi Hojo is scary on a D12-3, and the vacu-form fins on mine are too flimsy to trust with a composite motor. I think I flew mine once, and that was enough for me. The new D-powered HoJo, by comparison has the perfect amount of power. It's a great flyer.

Yesterday I sanded the CWF on all the wood parts and body tube of my Sea Wolf. I think it went well........

I've flown my Hojo on a D12-3 but yeah, it was less than stunning. Aerotech D15's after that. Never had a problem. I've flown it a few times that way. Mine's pretty and a centerpiece in the living room so I may not fly it again. I have at least one more and maybe two in storage. I plan to build one the way Darrell Mobley described on Rocketry Planet. I will likely only go with a 38mm mount though.
(RIP Darrell, you are missed.)

Len B

Revived a bottle of hardened 30-minute epoxy resin with a quick hot water bath.

Almost as impressive as loading Antares payload fairings.

I have some Aeropoxy resin that's crystallized. I set it in the sun for an hour or so before I need it and the crystals all dissolve. I've done the hot water bath in cooler or shady days.

Ordered $2300 in cameras and components from China for my new company.

Started to build my Newway Quad Goblin. First time filling BT grooves, fins, and nosecone with CWF. Will see how it goes. Opened a few boxes of rockets, loving this Cosmic Explorer, Photon Disruptor and Stratocruiser. My wife likes the crayon rockets, so I got her the pack of six colors to launch.

I've done NOTHING rocketry since MWP - but of course plan and dream. Well I did buy an RTx, 3" punisher, 4" Darkstar among other things, so building will commence next week.

Never been to Airfest so an opportunity has opened for a possible O3400 flight in my Ultimate QCC which would push it to the 830 mph range. Also planning to push my first 54MD rocket with a 54-6XL - L640ish

My wife was out of town, so I moved my rocket building operation into the kitchen and worked until 1:00 AM on something that started out as an Estes Scion.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1487338032.684337.jpg

Last edited:
Bookmarked your site.
This is what the survey was for the other day I take it?
I'll have to get one when I have money.
I'll probably make a bay so I can change it out to different rockets.

Yup. The camera and premix carrier are designed to be moved from rocket to rocket is the same diameter. You just need a shroud for each rocket, which is the least expensive component.

Latest posts

Back