What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Haven't got to do much rocketry lately, since my oldest is monopolizing my scraps of shoptime. W11, grey & blue w/ stars.

1485565993231.jpg

did you know that they go faster if, they run on 3 out of 4 wheels also if one mounts the ballast high on the aft end? :)
Rex

Unpacked some goodies from John Pursley:

Indigo "Ragnarok" Orbital Interceptor Short kit:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1485568711.329191.jpg

Trajector "NASA" skin:
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1485568721.405692.jpg

They look really nice. I've been wanting to try these for a long time, even since before I became a BAR. Need to order up a Trajector now that they're back in stock at Estes; I'll do that one first since it should be somewhat simpler, and then tackle the harder one later.

Unpacked an order.

Estes SprintXL
JL Altimeter 1
Couple of Top Flite chutes
Laser cut Orbital Transport fins. I had picked up an orb xport on eBay a number of years ago and looked over all those templates....yikes. Thanks semroc/erocketsImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1485619193.403137.jpg

I did some spot filling to even out the fin fillets on the 54mm MAC Performance Radial Flyer I'm building. I'm surprised it took me this long to figure out how useful JB Weld is for this sort of thing...

32572379455_46b382b870_b.jpg

I helped my son's Cub Scout pack launch rockets.

Last night I built a launch rod holder out of some pvc. (I'm basically gearing up to be able to easily provide launch equipment to support local schools and scout programs.)

Ari, if you see this, those launchers and pads you donated have already been put to good use. :)

Used some of the milled Carbon and milled Kevlar I got from RobMartinez702 to patch a hole in my tire on my Yukon.
I got the warning from the tpms, and checked it and it was at 22psi. I made it to the store to get back to 38, and then when the pump shut off I could hear the hiss, so I made it back to the house and found the hole, dried the area with a towel and 90% rubbing alcohol, stuck a super glue into it and squeezed a bunch into the hole, then poured a little milled carbon on it and pressed it with parchment paper into the gouge. More super glue, then Kevlar pulp, then more Carbon, and so on in layers, and by the third pressing of milled goodness and CA, the bubbles had stopped, so I continued a few more layers, using cotton balls now to press things into place and leave some CA cotton in the mix.
It is holding, and will hopefully do so overnight til' I can address the situation properly in the morning.

Thanks again to Rob, and buy his milled and chopped composites, as they are good for fixing just about anything.

ETA: Yup, still holding.

Last edited:
I finally got a coat of primer on the aforementioned Radial Flyer, shown here basking over a heat duct to (attempt to) speed up the paint drying...

32540793796_93c664540f_b.jpg

I helped my son's Cub Scout pack launch rockets

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1485665432.039162.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1485665444.240385.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1485665483.123711.jpgImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1485665458.600107.jpg

I just pulled a couple of screen captures from the only video I managed to take today, between setting up pads, doing safety checks, helping kids and parents with igniter issues and rocket repairs, and prepping Greg's and my own flights I was pretty busy today.

All told, I think we had between 60-80 flights at the launch. (I should have kept better count.)

Girlfriend started her L1 rocket, a Madcow 4" Batray. She epoxied the forward centering ring to the motor mount. I placed an order with Teddy at OBH for a sweet harness for said rocket.

Since the fins for the scrambler have been sitting around for a week, I sanded down the body tube and put on a coat of glue.
Still need to order some parts, but that has to wait till I get some $$.
More work on fillets, got the 2nd coat of glue on the Bullpup fins and the last coat on the body tube.
Ain't feeling so good today, so just sitting here saving pdf's to my hard drive from Jim Z's site.
And, fixed the problem of opening pdf's instead of having to saving them first.
Time to make dinner. 1/4" cubed boiled potatos, ground beef, cream of mushroom soup, and a host of spices.
I call it messy plate. But it tastes good.

regarding the spot landing on a raft, think you would find it very unlikely that anyone comes close :).
Rex

This is a mod of another holder for quadcoptershttps://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1606642 . It is one of the first things I've printed, and as such leaves much to be desired. I don't need any more (yet), I printed out four, but I really think someone with more experience with this could make some real improvements. First, move the mounting points to a standard width (say, the same as a RRC3). Also, it really needs to be increased by 2 or 3 percent to fit the board better. I can post or send the .stl to anyone interested, or post it somewhere appropriate. I don't know Facebook that well, and I certainly don't know where rocket folks post 3d printer files. I didn't print the covers because they're not needed on a sled.

808mount.jpg

Last edited:
Today I repeatedly screwed up sewing my new recovery harness parts. Turns out it may not be my fault. It may be the machine's timing is off. Or possibly a tension issue.

Do you have any idea how hard it is to rip the seams out of machine sewn tubular nylon? These have a four sided perimeter with a dual zigzag reinforcement. And I have 6 of them to rip out tomorrow.

I will try again. It's really going to be a beautiful harness once I'm done.

Last edited:
Back