What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Note to self..............

Numbers on the Quinstar face the center, per the instructions.

Whoops I missed that step and didn't find it until after primer.

Cut ok broke the model apart to remove "5". The mostly assemble model was now in more pieces than when I first started.

Thanks to a little thin CA she is back in primer, don't look close cause she ain't pretty but at least together and built "correctly".

Researched on a level one kit to buy, narrowed it down to three. LOC IV 4", Madcow Super DX3 4", and Binder Excel 4". The only dual deploy rig is the Madcow, though I do like the dual deploy Excel. Just want to keep it simple using the motor ejection charge and a JR Chute Release. Was planning on buiding a second rocket for my L2. So I can go non dual deploy for this first one.

Researched on a level one kit to buy, narrowed it down to three. LOC IV 4", Madcow Super DX3 4", and Binder Excel 4". The only dual deploy rig is the Madcow, though I do like the dual deploy Excel. Just want to keep it simple using the motor ejection charge and a JR Chute Release. Was planning on buiding a second rocket for my L2. So I can go non dual deploy for this first one.

All of those look like great choices. The JLCR will make the process a lot easier. I'm seriously considering using it for my L2, just to keep it simple.

Not today, but had a GREAT day of flying on Saturday. We had 6 new TARC teams come too our field for their first rocket launch.
The rocket Gods held off until they were finished.
wehs.jpg

Been absent from rocketry through the Christmas season, still more home projects to go.

But today - visited Countyline Hobbies and picked up a LOC 4" BT and AV bay to build another of my L1 rocket - super stretched Batray. Also order another AT M1939 white thunder.

Read the paperwork for the RTX system. Man that is going to be awesome.

Finally got back to the Hi-Flier XL.....had to order some 1/8 bungee cord and it came Saturday.....the new chute and nomex protector arrive tomorrow. Cut the cord to length and attached to the eyebolt on the top of the baffle/coupler, then epoxied on the second body tube. Also did the fillets. Once they setup I'll sand them in, and then paint as soon as I have a weather window.

I've not been working in the shop much over the last few days as my late Christmas present to myself came on Friday, and I've been playing with it:

IMG_1395.jpg

Les Paul by Epiphone, sweet. I had one in sprakle gold...once...long time ago. Sad story.
all you need now is distortion and wa-wa boxes.

Finally got back to the Hi-Flier XL.....had to order some 1/8 bungee cord and it came Saturday.....the new chute and nomex protector arrive tomorrow. Cut the cord to length and attached to the eyebolt on the top of the baffle/coupler, then epoxied on the second body tube. Also did the fillets. Once they setup I'll sand them in, and then paint as soon as I have a weather window.

I've not been working in the shop much over the last few days as my late Christmas present to myself came on Friday, and I've been playing with it:

Thanks....I've always wanted one. I'm a bass player, not a guitarist so I have to learn. I haven't played in 10 years and sold off my gear years ago. Bass doesn't really appeal to just sitting around plinking and strumming and I've always wanted to start down the guitar path. Man my fingertips are sore right now.

When I get to the point of a pedal I'll probably get a Cry Baby.....as far as distortion, I have a Marshall amp and to my ears, that Marshall distortion is the final word. (IMHO, of course)

Les Paul by Epiphone, sweet. I had one in sprakle gold...once...long time ago. Sad story.
all you need now is distortion and wa-wa boxes.

Did my first model building stuff in over 3.5 weeks (before I broke my arm)

Made several 3.7" diameter centering rings out of 1/32 plywood. Used the Arc-scribe method in the article linked below

https://georgesrockets.com/GRP/Articles/CentRings/Rings.htm

DualScribeTool.gif

These 3.7" rings are for another fun project which I'm going to work on while I also resume work on the 1/16 scale Lunar Module quad copter. Also for the same project, cut out and glued together a prototype subassembly to help figure out the final configuration/ design for how that subassembly needs to work.

Last edited:
I re-upped with TRA, and I also signed my daughter up (first time). She is working on her L1 rocket all this week getting ready for the flying season to open up in Manchester, TN!

Bought an Estes Goblin, might buy a second. Looks like I may lose this one to the sky gods.

I just 3D printed a rail guide for my daughter's rocket. This is the first thing that I've ever 3D printed. Pretty cool process.
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1484692084.776179.jpg

On Estes's website I noticed they had the Rogue Voyager's on sale. Picked up a couple and an extra Executioner.
EzqriQZ.png
CTJHti0.png

I bought a Jolly Logic AltimeterThree to use as a ridealong on my Quicksilver and bigger low power rockets. I did some coordination for first flight of my 29 min-diameter rocket...and noticed that it's supposed to rain from tomorrow through the weekend. Boo.

Last edited:
Can you print a BT-60 nose cone if I send you a 2d drawing?

@Woody. I'd love to, but I don't think I'm ready for that yet. I made this rail guide using a friend's printer and a file that I found on thingiverse.com. Give me a few months to figure out how to print objects from my own CAD files.

I haven't used CAD since my high school drafting class in the early 90's, and it was pretty "revolutionary" back then. Most of that class involved drafting pencils and T-squares, so there is a pretty large learning (french) curve for me.

Over the last few days I built a Photon Disruptor I won at our club's holiday party, Built and finished (except for decals) a BT-5 scale down of the Der Red Max, PMC'd a freebee estes christmas ornament from the party (same one micromeister did), started on a MIRV that I won at the party, and started on a BT-80 scale-up of the Der Red Max (that is a huge balsa nose cone to harden and fill).

Continued construction on my Mini-Frenzy, just injecting the upper CR with US Composites 150 3:1 structural epoxy which is about the consistency of honey. Its been a while since I have had time to work on the rocket. The injection hole will also act as a vent for the lower payload bay for the day when a H268R or I200W gets shoved up the mmt.

Re-organized my rocket room. Not because I wanted to, but because I had to. Big water leak in the bathroom(right next to the rocket room) when no one was home led to a half inch of water everywhere. :y::y::y:

Most of my LPR rockets were hanging up, but my MPR/HPR were leaning against the wall... in a half inch of water. :facepalm: I thoroughly inspected the ones what got wet and they should be fine. My 3" Optima was a bit soft on the bottom so I'll have to inspect it more closely once dry.

Motors were in a plastic tackle box, so they're fine but I also had some packs of reloads in a cardboard box on the floor...:shock: Good thing they're sealed well inside the plastic bag, dry as a bone. Whew!

Found out the hard way that alcohol takes the metallic finish right off an Estes Mammoth.

Back