What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just counted ~535 Newtonsecs in my motor box.
If the launch tomorrow isn't weathered out, I will have zero in the box tomorrow.

I went a long while without touching anything rocketry....too busy with family and work. Things are slowing down now so I'm taking more time at my work bench. My Mercury Redstone is almost complete. I've also been informed that Santa is bringing me a special rocketry-related gift.....hmmmm, wonder what it could be....as my list is long...lol.

Saw Rogue One last night with my Sister, niece, and nephew! That's rocketry related in my book!

Saw Rogue One last night with my Sister, niece, and nephew! That's rocketry related in my book!

Did that with daughter, nephew and parents too.. real family event.

C'mon Estes NCR Jumpjet.. Maxi X-Wing redux the fans !

Just make available #1302 replacement plastics .. no logo no tubes no balsa no decals .. we can do the rest :)

Kenny

Last edited:
Flew my first Loki reload on Saturday, an I377 Tropical Cocktail. Very nice, I can not wait to see one at a night launch.

lift-off-2.jpg

Last edited:
Discovered that Home Depot and Lowes apparently don't stock coupler nuts.

And while I'm on holiday travel, dug through my mom's spent-brass bag to glean........
Free charge wells!
I think these will be great for my Hi-power Pro Series II fleet as I get the hang of electronic deployment.
IMG_20161227_214549577.jpg

Before someone jumps-yes I will insulate the match....

Another Aerotech order. Foolishly assumed that since I already had a 24/40 kit that I just needed the 60 tube....but no, the closures from the 24/40 don't fit the 24/60....silly me. Grabbed some D9, D15 and E28 loads not to waste the $9 flat shipping rate. Set up well with SU composites, RMS, and BP motors now.

Went through both of my log books and updated files. Decided to add up my total Ns for the 2016 Newton thread, just to see what I flew this year. Most of the day was wasted making lists, then Sharon decided to do it too. Between the two of us we burned 96,734 Ns flying 140 rockets. I think we are down a bit from 2015, when Sharon was getting ready for her L3, but I'm not going back to add that up!
Also added launch lugs to an LOC Viper III that I built this month. If it warms up a bit more, I will spray some primer on it.

Made an Estes type shock cord mount from card stock and reinstalled the shock cord into my 1.9" EAC Viper. Last time the Viper flew, the ejection charge was too much for the teacup style baffle & blew it right out of the tube.

Cut a second one for a BT70 Goblin (since I forgot to attach it to the motor mount...)

Spent some time in the shop working on multiple projects. Unfortunately, I've got a head cold/sinusitis and shop time isn't much fun right now. 🙁
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483034592.677307.jpg

And I've got so many more projects to get started on!
ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1483034633.937069.jpg

Put up some pegboard on the outside of my hobby room in the basement to hang my build pile. Looks like I really need to get building!

1483117398062.jpg

Finished two...

Semroc Moonglow
Cosmodrome Nike Smoke

I lost the self stick decal for the Nike Smoke so I got a replacement set from Stickershock

Moonglow.jpg IMG_1960.jpg

Worked a bit more on my Madcow FG Mini-Frenzy DD from Black Friday, epoxied the kevlar to the mmt and used Lowpullers (iirc he's the one that had an excellent demonstration video of creating a fingertrap type loop in tubular kevlar) to create a loop in the other end and then stitched it in place. I also put notches in the FG CR's to increase the bonding area a little more. The cardboard tube around the kevlar is to keep the epoxy from getting on the kevlar as the mmt is glued in. The balsa damns are fin pockets so that the fins self fillet between the airframe and the mmt.

MiniFrenzyXLdd4.jpg

Motors showed up for my 29mm min diameter rocket. Planning on first flight with an H226 (to make sure I don't bust our altitude waiver) then second flight with an I224. Now I just have to finish the rocket...IMG_9434.jpg

Last edited:
Started working on my Wildman 5" Jart98. Got the upper CR notched for the Kevlar bridle. Got the rear CR marked for the Aeropack 98mm flanged retainer. Next step is to drill and tap the rear CR for the retainer. Then tape the mmt and glue the bridle to mmt. Got the OR file started too. If anyone wants to see it I'll post in HP section...

Last edited:
Started working on my Wildman 5" Jart98. Got the upper CR notched for the Kevlar bridle. Got the rear CR marked for the Aeropack 98mm flanged retainer. Next step is to drill and tap the rear CR for the retainer. Then tape the mmt and glue the bridle to mmt. Got the OR file started too. If anyone wants to see it I'll post in HP section...

Sweet! Another one. I'll have to make you a 2 grain 98 for it sometime.

Applied primer to my Mercury Redstone and rummaged through my build pile to chose the next kit.....thinking I'll start my PSII Nike Smoke.

I wish everyone would have posted up more pics in my " show me your build room " thread, like in this thread. Looks like I need to go all the way through this one.

Had a New Years Day launch today with my Estes Sahara. Used a G74-9 single use. Jolly Logic Chute Release worked, but it seems every time I use it on the Sahara, the chute fails to open. I'm not really sure why. Works flawlessly with every other rocket. No damage to the rocket. Jolly Logic Altimeter 3 recorded an altitude of 1218'.
https://youtu.be/u9GOKCbvmBg

Back