What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
24mm 6 grain? Seems like a fun idea...

Edit: 1000th post!? Wow! Just a bit over two years...

Yup! Forward stuffer CR / shock cord attach is foaming up right now ( gorilla glue because cardboard CRs ). Fins are already going through the wall, thinking about trying my hand at glass as well.

I ordered a bunch of epoxy for my Level 3 project. :) Fiberglass, Epoxy, and some other stuff. Build thread shall come soon.

Scored a whole bunch of free wood and other cool stuff a couple of towns over where apparently a Dollhouse Factory went out of business.
It was just pallets in a parking lot in an industrial area that had a sign that said "Free Stuff".
Some of the wood is very nicely machined, and it ia all quality stuff, to include a bunch of lite ply items that can be shaped into rockety things. There's no Balsa, but a lot is very much like Basswood.
I would have taken more of it, as there was literally a couple of tons of assorted stuff, but my Dog was with me and she needed the space in the rear of the vehicle that I have set up for her.
I have no more room in my house for it all, but I'm going to go to my Mom's and get some boxes, then separate and catalog everything, pack it in the boxes then take it back over to my Mom's to store it.:)
I grabbed a bunch of kits too, so I can make birdhouses.

The plexiglass window kits still have the cutting mask material on them, so they can be used for builds that require invisible fins! I have a bunch, so I can even share them if folks need that sort of thing.:)

Dollhouse Factory Free Stuff! 2016-07-08 005.jpgDollhouse Factory Free Stuff! 2016-07-08 007.jpgDollhouse Factory Free Stuff! 2016-07-08 008.jpgDollhouse Factory Free Stuff! 2016-07-08 009.jpgFree Plexiglass 2016-07-08 002.jpg

Scored a whole bunch of free wood and other cool stuff a couple of towns over where apparently a Dollhouse Factory went out of business.
It was just pallets in a parking lot in an industrial area that had a sign that said "Free Stuff".
Some of the wood is very nicely machined, and it ia all quality stuff, to include a bunch of lite ply items that can be shaped into rockety things. There's no Balsa, but a lot is very much like Basswood.

Cool. More things for you to cover in CF. I see a Goth Doll house coming soon.

Any cove molding between 3/64 and 1/4"? :)

What is Cove Molding?
There's all sorts of stuff marked Molding, but no specifics that I've seen yet.
Got a pic?

Oh wait, yes, I know what that is, and yes there is lots. Not sure what sizes yet though. I'll PM you later or tomorrow after I get everything opened up to look upon.

Last edited:
Cool. More things for you to cover in CF. I see a Goth Doll house coming soon.

I'm using the mold release for the first time today as a matter of fact, with a Carbon Fiber something and BSI 20 minute epoxy.
If it comes out of the press looking nice enough, I'll share a pic, and have a new way to make molded fins.
I'm down to the last third of the CF, so I must use it sparingly.
I'm going to use some of the dollhouse parts like the tiny brass knobs and hinges and flat parts to see if I can't make something I can have sold by a friend at Farmers Market, which will give me some moneys for more CF.
I'll go back to the dollhouse factory tomorrow and leave my Dog at my Mom's so I can get a whole vehicle full of stuff.
Most of it is sealed in plastic, and it had been rained on once before, indicating that it has been out for a few days, and there should still be plenty left tomorrow morning.

I'm actually going to build a model airplane out of some of the parts I got today, as I like them for static models with the spars and ribs and whatnot, plus the plans are free and easy to find.
It won't need to be balsa if it's just going to look nice.

I'm taking my Cub Scouts out to our club launch on the 16th so I went out to buy a few engines for my kids rockets. I needed two packages. I walked out $147.00 later with an Estes Little Joe; another for my boy, paint and engines! :)

Sadly when I got home and began getting rockets together I asked my daughter to bring her latest build down to the basement. She found it sitting in a bin in a chair with two boxes sitting ON TOP of her Phoenix bird. It's gone to the bone yard now. no way to straighten that! :( BOO!

I'm using the mold release for the first time today as a matter of fact, with a Carbon Fiber something and BSI 20 minute epoxy.
If it comes out of the press looking nice enough, I'll share a pic, and have a new way to make molded fins.
I'm down to the last third of the CF, so I must use it sparingly.
I'm going to use some of the dollhouse parts like the tiny brass knobs and hinges and flat parts to see if I can't make something I can have sold by a friend at Farmers Market, which will give me some moneys for more CF.
I'll go back to the dollhouse factory tomorrow and leave my Dog at my Mom's so I can get a whole vehicle full of stuff.
Most of it is sealed in plastic, and it had been rained on once before, indicating that it has been out for a few days, and there should still be plenty left tomorrow morning.

I'm actually going to build a model airplane out of some of the parts I got today, as I like them for static models with the spars and ribs and whatnot, plus the plans are free and easy to find.
It won't need to be balsa if it's just going to look nice.

You might be able to make some of those awesome range boxes if there are any large, flat pieces.

Wow, you still have a third left? I might have sent a little over a yard, but still you are getting some serious use out of that!

I'm taking my Cub Scouts out to our club launch on the 16th so I went out to buy a few engines for my kids rockets. I needed two packages. I walked out $147.00 later with an Estes Little Joe; another for my boy, paint and engines! :)

Sadly when I got home and began getting rockets together I asked my daughter to bring her latest build down to the basement. She found it sitting in a bin in a chair with two boxes sitting ON TOP of her Phoenix bird. It's gone to the bone yard now. no way to straighten that! :( BOO!

My biggest problem with the little guys. They often don't live to see their first flight (beat up in car by bigger rockets, fall over, dropped, etc.)

So I just started opening Kits and the first box I open, and what the crap! There be fins in these boxes!!! They need a little tuning, but they have beveled edges, and they are really light, but since they are so huge, I'll use them to make molds for my FG/CF stuff.
I'm going back tomorrow and I'll pack my vehicle to the roof with dollhouse parts!!!

View attachment 296385View attachment 296386View attachment 296387

I have to resist the urge to look at the instructions, lest I end up with freaking Dollhouse component!!!
The company is still in business as far as I can tell, and it's no surprise, as they seem to be one of those niche brands that rich people covet.
Maybe this truckload of stuff in the parking lot was just stuff that they had no place to keep, or to them was not up to standard?
Who cares now, as I'm going to go take as much of it as I can for the grand total of FREE!
There are even some stacks of Lite Ply that have die-cut parts in them, but if I simply harden them and fill sand and seal them, I will have plenty of lite ply to build my canoe design and a small shallow draft boat. I sure hope those stacks are still there tomorrow at 8:00AM.
My Dog needs her breakfast, Insulin and then a a walk every day at 7:00AM, so that takes priority over everything else.
Man, if the stuff that was there today is still there tomorrow, it won't be by the end of the day!

A few of the parts exhibit possible mold stains, which may be recent or may be why they discarded the whole lot, but just like old books, I need only bag them and place them in my large freezer for a few days to kill the mold.
I'm not worried about bringing the mold into my house, as it already has mold damage the insurance company would not pay enough to fix, so it is basically crumbling around me as I type this. You would think that since I'm a disabled Veteran, that there would be programs and stuff like "Wounded Warrior" Program to help me get my house fixed, but that was what I was trying to do when I stopped building and flying rockets awhile back, and after eventually learning that those programs are all just a scam to get ignorant people's money, I decided to get back to the things that give me some enjoyment, and just say to hell with the collapsing house. Eventually I'll just build a foam house reinforced with dollhouse wood, with tiny plexiglass dollhouse windows, and since there are no building permits or zoning restrictions in my town, maybe I'll open a Landfill, so I can have everyone leave their trash here for me to build stuff out of.

Last edited:
I would have taken more of it, as there was literally a couple of tons of assorted stuff, but my Dog was with me and she needed the space in the rear of the vehicle that I have set up for her.
I have no more room in my house for it all, but I'm going to go to my Mom's and get some boxes, then separate and catalog everything, pack it in the boxes then take it back over to my Mom's to store it.:)
I grabbed a bunch of kits too, so I can make birdhouses.

The plexiglass window kits still have the cutting mask material on them, so they can be used for builds that require invisible fins! I have a bunch, so I can even share them if folks need that sort of thing.:)

View attachment 296356View attachment 296357View attachment 296358View attachment 296359View attachment 296360

SCORE! That is amazing.

Spent some time sanding and polishing my 2.6" Super DX3. Not finished yet, trying to get it finished in time for MDRA next week. Here is a sneak preview. . .

27568878473_9ba44890a2_o.jpg

Spent some time sanding and polishing my 2.6" Super DX3. Not finished yet, trying to get it finished in time for MDRA next week. Here is a sneak preview. . .

How very "Nathan" of you!
I love it!
I imagine that took quite a lot of work, and it looks like it too.:clap::clap::clap::clap:

I feel like OR needs a finish setting finer than "Polished" for you. I suggest we call it "Mirrored" or "Nathaned".

Chucked my buildoff contest entry.

Literally.

[video=youtube;zxswvZkWY4A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxswvZkWY4A[/video]

No, just standard break apart/parachute. Though it really wouldn't be difficult to hinge the fins and add servo pockets in the foam.

image.jpg

Finishing up an RC RG Bomarc from Frank at Dynasoar Rocketry today. Just about done. More details over in the Bomarc thread in the rocket glider forum.

Last edited:
I wish I did something. Screwed up my back so I skipped club launch today...heating pad is my friend.

First cost of paint on the PS2 Nike Smoke, finished assembly of an OOP Estes Venus Probe, and put a white base coat on an old Estes X-Wing. Next item of business - primer on the Venus Probe, sanding the Nike Smoke, and a 2nd coat of white on the X-Wing.

Chris

I was busy putting the tail end on my sprintXL, but the missus got me a Designer's kit from Estes for my birthday.

Then my table asplode, so I had to reorganize everything. What a shame.

1468092959114.jpg

1468092975831.jpg

1468092995167.jpg

1468093011136.jpg

1468093092466.jpg

Who makes that trick fin jig you're using? The last fin jig I had was an Estes one that I got for X-mas back in the early 80's.

got a holder for an 808 camera built and installed on a rocket, then loaded up my car for a trip up north way to launch some rockets.

Man that's it! I am done with this whole Nathan is a paint finish god thing, someone ban this guy from posting another pic of his rockets please...seriously Nathan that is one incredible finish!

Who makes that trick fin jig you're using? The last fin jig I had was an Estes one that I got for X-mas back in the early 80's.

That's a Macklin. I started w/ the Estes one, it's technically better than nothing.

Only part I still use is the gray plastic clips; you can see them here applying pressure to the slit rear end since I went TTW ( and tailcone ).

Back