What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My other project is my new Rocketry Range Box System that I am building, consisting of the 3 boxes seen in the last picture. The left and right boxes are for Plano 3700 series boxes and each can hold a 3" box, three 2" boxes and, one 1.5" box. The center box has four 3"x 7.5" drawers on the left, a 4.5"x 6" drawer, and a 8"x 6" drawer(pictured), the drawers are all 10" long/deep. The big drawer is for my adhesive bottles. The tops of the boxes have rails front and rear to prevent stuff on top from rolling off. One of the boxes I plan to make small compartments on the top for motor assembly parts. Hopefully the drawers and boxes will be finished by next weekend so I can get a coat of shellac on them ( I love the look of Baltic Birch Plywood with a clear coat). I will also be making some cradles for rocket assembly that attach to the boxes, the doors for the boxes I hope to make removable.

RocketryRangeBoxes.jpg

My other project is my new Rocketry Range Box System that I am building, consisting of the 3 boxes seen in the last picture. The left and right boxes are for Plano 3700 series boxes and each can hold a 3" box, three 2" boxes and, one 1.5" box. The center box has four 3"x 7.5" drawers on the left, a 4.5"x 6" drawer, and a 8"x 6" drawer(pictured), the drawers are all 10" long/deep. The big drawer is for my adhesive bottles. The tops of the boxes have rails front and rear to prevent stuff on top from rolling off. One of the boxes I plan to make small compartments on the top for motor assembly parts. Hopefully the drawers and boxes will be finished by next weekend so I can get a coat of shellac on them ( I love the look of Baltic Birch Plywood with a clear coat). I will also be making some cradles for rocket assembly that attach to the boxes, the doors for the boxes I hope to make removable.

I need some of these. I have a bunch of the fishing boxes too - just stacked and constantly shuffling them.

Got all the parts to build my upscale LOC Onyx. It will be 5.5" diameter with 54mm motor mount. Sims at 4000' to 4500' on 3 grain 54mm motors. I plan to fly it single deploy with a JR Chute Release. Thanks to Nat Kinsey at Upscale CNC for making some perfect fins. The rest of the fiberglass is from Madcow, except for the centering rings which are from Apogee because Madcow was out of stock.

27480488544_1fdff09bb3_o.jpg

Couldn't sleep well...bad cold+daytime severe cold medicine+going to bed at 2:30AM+stupid raccoon scratching the siding on my house at 4:30AM=wake up to build an Eggtimer WiFi Switch. Might as well do something cool and productive and also learn something new. :caffeine:

The fins were tacked on with JB Weld, heavily filleted with Aeropoxy + Milled FG, then vacuum bag T2T with two layers of CF. This was my first attempt at vacuum bagging T2T, and it didn't go perfect. Therefore, there are a few places where I sanded into the top layer, but these are mainly in the center of the bt, or the center of the fin. The under layer is good throughout and since the weak spots wouldn't be expected to be the failure spots I think I will be plenty good...we shall see.

The Mongoose looks great. I want to build mine pretty much like you did, but I need to practice my T2T technique on a couple smaller kits first. I'm just going to use psuedo-DD via chute release too. What CF cloth and laminating resin did you use?

The Mongoose looks great. I want to build mine pretty much like you did, but I need to practice my T2T technique on a couple smaller kits first. I'm just going to use psuedo-DD via chute release too. What CF cloth and laminating resin did you use?

Thanks. This was my first T2T vacuum bagged attempt, and I will probably never try to do all 3 sides at once again...very stressful time wise and hard to get a good seal with that many joints.

CF was 3K 2x2 TW 199GSM from Soller Composites: https://www.solarcomposites.com/composites/compositecarbon.html#3K

Epoxy was 635 Medium from US Composites: https://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

All the vacuum bagging suppliers were from Fibreglast.com.

I completed ground tests of my Super DX3. I learned that 13psi loads are WAY powerful, and stepped it down a bit. I found a sweet spot for my main and drogue at about 9.6psi, which translated to a lot less recovery harness and stress on the whole system.

Funny thing is, I'm pushing 13psi loads in my DD Optima @ 2.56" airframe.

Do larger airframes require less pressure?

I completed ground tests of my Super DX3. I learned that 13psi loads are WAY powerful, and stepped it down a bit. I found a sweet spot for my main and drogue at about 9.6psi, which translated to a lot less recovery harness and stress on the whole system.

Short answer: Yes, more square inches being pushed against, so less psi required to achieve same separation force.

got shipping notification on a buncho-o-motors and now going to work on a 4-29 scratch built, which a couple of the motors are for, which im planning on its maiden flight sometime next week. plus straighten up the shop a bit

Started prepping my Darkstar Jr. For its second (and my second) two stage flight.

First time was a complete success at LDRS 34 last year. Boosted by a J400 and sustained by a J530, it reached an apogee of 11,543'.

This time it will be an I470 boosting an I297. Should reach about 7k. Nothing too amazing, just trying to get the thrill of doing it again. And there will be two cameras on board.

It was yesterday. But I got an A, three B's, a couple of C11's and a D12 up at the local park and kept all but one inside the ballpark at my local park. Good times!

It was yesterday. But I got an A, three B's, a couple of C11's and a D12 up at the local park and kept all but one inside the ballpark at my local park. Good times!

My flying area is capable of those kind of flights on good days, and when you do more than one or two, it is a good flying day indeed, so I share your sense of accomplishment.
Flying 24mm in a smallish Park requires a rocket that goes up straight, and comes down in a similar aspect.:wink:

For our 12.75" diameter rocket we ended up using 2.5psi with six 4-40 nylon shear pins.

Thanks. This was my first T2T vacuum bagged attempt, and I will probably never try to do all 3 sides at once again...very stressful time wise and hard to get a good seal with that many joints.

CF was 3K 2x2 TW 199GSM from Soller Composites: https://www.solarcomposites.com/composites/compositecarbon.html#3K

Epoxy was 635 Medium from US Composites: https://www.uscomposites.com/epoxy.html

All the vacuum bagging suppliers were from Fibreglast.com.

How do you like the vacuum bag connectors from Fiberglast?

[emoji1010] Steve Shannon [emoji1010]

Sanded the fillets on my fiberglass Madcow Lil Goblin 38mm this evening. They're very small.

If the cool weather holds (less than 90 degrees) I maybe able to get some primer on this bad boy.

cool beans!!!! I gotta small park behind my house I launch estes motors in.let me rephrase that- I launch estes motor powered rockets.
last launch I had 4 successful ingitors on 4 launches, 4 successful flights,a rocket in the tree in the park, one in a tree in my front yard, one probably 1/2 mile to the west of us and the last I have no clue. im relearning a lot as I get back into it, mainly start with low level flights and work up to see the wind conditions up higher!

Slow day in the office yesterday, so we started building three rockets. I started a Darkstar Jr. and Sharon started an Astron Elliptic and a Blue Iguana from RW. All three have fins stuck and are ready for external fillets.
I also fiddled with the Avbay for my 3" Punisher, trying out a new design that doesn't have allthread through the coupler so my Eggfinder will work.

How do you like the vacuum bag connectors from Fiberglast?

The connector is the weak point of my kit. I use the cheapo plastic version they sell (https://www.fibreglast.com/product/vacuum-connector-891/Vacuum_Fittings), and it is ok. Not great, but for the money is a fine connector. I use a diaphragm pump with a digital vacuum gauge also, so a tiny bit of leakage doesn't concern me as there is no problem with the pump constantly, gently cycling to maintain vacuum. If I wanted to get it under vacuum and turn the pump off this would not be the connector for that. I will probably upgrade at some point, but for now this one gets the job done well enough.

The connector is the weak point of my kit. I use the cheapo plastic version they sell (https://www.fibreglast.com/product/vacuum-connector-891/Vacuum_Fittings), and it is ok. Not great, but for the money is a fine connector. I use a diaphragm pump with a digital vacuum gauge also, so a tiny bit of leakage doesn't concern me as there is no problem with the pump constantly, gently cycling to maintain vacuum. If I wanted to get it under vacuum and turn the pump off this would not be the connector for that. I will probably upgrade at some point, but for now this one gets the job done well enough.

Thanks!

Got some foam work done on the Flying V guitar rocket. Looking forward to getting done with the foam.

Today I kissed my rocketry activities goodbye for the next year. ;) Okay I have a feeling I'll be finding time to get to the garage and field.

Congratulations! I think you concept of having time, or rather a lack of it, is correct. This is true for a while, but enjoy it as babies grow fast.

Today, on a whim, I ordered 4 micro rocket kits from Flis. WAC-Bumper, Buckshot, Interloper & HoJo. Because I didn't have enough kits already... :rolleyes:

Worked on my new Rocketry Ranges Boxes some more. The woodworking is mostly done, now its just a bunch of sanding and finishing. The finish will be a simple clear coat of Shellac (amber or clear, not sure which). The lids still need the hardware to fasten them which I hope to work on tomorrow evening. The drawers are mostly done in the center box, but they may get some dividers yet. The boxes are made of BB grade Baltic Birch plywood in thickness of 6mm, 12mm, and 18mm (1/4", 1/2", and 3/4" approximately).

RocketRangeBoxes1.jpg RocketRangeBoxes2.jpg RocketRangeBoxes3.jpg RocketRangeBoxes4.jpg RocketRangeBoxes5.jpg

Back