What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Always experimenting with new materials, even for ones not intended for flight, just research.:wink:

2016-06-14 001 2016-06-14 002.jpg2016-06-14 001 2016-06-14 003.jpg2016-06-14 001 2016-06-14 005.jpg

I'de rather not let "Idle Hands" take the blame.

If it turns out light enough, I'll fly it.:)

Last edited:
work on TRA BOD stuff and TRA Contest and Records stuff. Selling my extra stuff on ebay also. :)

work on TRA BOD stuff and TRA Contest and Records stuff. Selling my extra stuff on ebay also. :)

Any chance of a new Category for records and contests ?

Class 1 for clubs that have lost a flying field or waiver ??

Also interested in a speed competition that is detailed in the nar hpr pink book but they dont ever use or tabulate records or points for

Kenny

I'm trying to finish up my Punisher build so I can get on with my guitar rocket, but I made the mistake of letting my daughter choose a can of paint at the hobby shop yesterday and now she really, really wants a new rocket. So I pulled out my parts bin and let her pick out a nose cone, choose how long she wants the body tube, picked out a fin shape from my templates, and choose the number of fins. So in the spirit of me trying to get the Wildman Punisher done, I named it the Mildman Encourager. As you can tell, my daughter picked out green paint and wants five fins.

Mildman The Encourager.jpg

Wiped coffee off my keyboard and chewed thru 2 pencils when I found out Binder Design was for sale. Also missed my nap because of same.

I was very happy to be able to do some sanding on our upscale Dragonfly nose cone. I put on a coat of laminating resin Monday that was still sticky in spots 24 hours later. I was really worried that somehow I hadn't mixed it up correctly. Overnight with the heat cranked up to 85 cured it nicely - I really wast looking forward to trying to sand off a gluey mess....

Sand...sand...sand...wipe with ethanol...wipe on thin coat of Epoxy.

I'm going back to LPR builds for awhile after this Mongoose is done.

Finally!

After looking at many of these models in difffering stages of construction for years, I've gotten some to the Clear-Coat Stage! It took me to stop agonizing over the variety of Finish Options, and just roll with Gloss Clear 2X.

I'm hoping it won't be that difficult to knock down the drips and runs in the Clear and use Rubbing and Polishing Compounds where necessary.

I like my Schmear of Hornets!

Screen Shot 2016-06-15 at 9.39.41 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-06-15 at 9.41.19 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-06-15 at 9.42.12 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-06-15 at 9.43.55 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-06-15 at 9.42.52 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2016-06-15 at 9.44.26 PM.jpg

Downscaled and used the plans I got from Mr. Macklin to begin a carbon fiber simple machine.:)
I'll bet this jig will be building rockets a thousand years from now.:)
I suck at getting 3 and 4 FNC fins perfectly uncanted, because even when they look perfect, I don't trust them, so I mess with them some more til' I screw them up, no pun intended.
That's why I fell in love with the rockets that have wings, you relly know they are straight when you can align them with tha much surface area.
Anyhow, I'm building a fin jig for tiny models like 13-24MM.

Lovin' the CF!!!
If I had to build that thing per the instructions out of hardwood, I'de need a router and some general shopcraft.
While it is a thing of beauty in it's original scale and aspect, I have not used a router since High School Shop Class and Tech School.
The CF can be tuned to very exacting specs with my calipers, and it holds those dimensions in a manner equal to most metals.
I'm mixing it up with superthin balsa and sometimes glass, but at least using these methods I can actually make it at my workbench.

Obviously needs the other half of layers and the holes get cut as each layer is applied, so the fibers of the CF and balsa get scrambeld together in the areas that will be exposed to other materials during actual use. This part has to slide up and down, and while I am going to sleeve the threaded portion of each rod that goes in each channel, the moving/sliding parts need to last forever without wear. I am considering a replaceable rubber expansion washer, so that when you tighten the knurled knob, the washer locks via compression, and does not mar the action surfaces. The rubber can dry out, but it can be replaced easily.

CF Macklin Fin Jig 2016-06-15 005.jpgCF Macklin Fin Jig 2016-06-15 003.jpg

Last edited:
Downscaled and used the plans I got from Mr. Macklin to begin a carbon fiber simple machine.:)
I'll bet this jig will be building rockets a thousand years from now.:)
I suck at getting 3 and 4 FNC fins perfectly uncanted, because even when they look perfect, I don't trust them, so I mess with them some more til' I screw them up, no pun intended.
That's why I fell in love with the rockets that have wings, you relly know they are straight when you can align them with tha much surface area.
Anyhow, I'm building a fin jig for tiny models like 13-24MM.

Lovin' the CF!!!
If I had to build that thing per the instructions out of hardwood, I'de need a router and some general shopcraft.
While it is a thing of beauty in it's original scale and aspect, I have not used a router since High School Shop Class and Tech School.
The CF can be tuned to very exacting specs with my calipers, and it holds those dimensions in a manner equal to most metals.
I'm mixing it up with superthin balsa and sometimes glass, but at least using these methods I can actually make it at my workbench.

Obviously needs the other half of layers and the holes get cut as each layer is applied, so the fibers of the CF and balsa get scrambeld together in the areas that will be exposed to other materials during actual use. This part has to slide up and down, and while I am going to sleeve the threaded portion of each rod that goes in each channel, the moving/sliding parts need to last forever without wear. I am considering a replaceable rubber expansion washer, so that when you tighten the knurled knob, the washer locks via compression, and does not mar the action surfaces. The rubber can dry out, but it can be replaced easily.

View attachment 294244View attachment 294243

You will not regret building one. The thing works perfectly...provided you build it perfectly (which I am sure you will).

You will not regret building one. The thing works perfectly...provided you build it perfectly (which I am sure you will).

Those are the words used to describe the process, yes.
I'll do it up right. It's been planned from the moment I launched my first CF rocket and realized the difference a canted fin makes.:blush:
I'm used to making larger rockets that include wings that can be used to line everything up.
3FNC at this scale challenges me when it comes to making them perfect.
This Jig is going to change all of that from the moment of it's inception to my fleet of jigs and methods.
Each panel should take about one day, seeing as how it seems to be a real "Real-Lifey" time of year for some reason.
I've read and re-read and designed and re-desinged this little machine, so it is finally time to get on with it.
All of the materials and methods I will use building it represent the spirit of rocketry, and all the stuff that the rocketry community has given me.
For anyone that has never had really thin balsa, please do yourself a favor and get some. BMS has it, and it is inexpensive and makes awesome ply material.
It can be wrapped around bodytubes or low spots in cones.

I got the most important part made, and can now make the rest of it based on the dimensions of this one piece that is the movable part.:

CarbonFiberMacklinFinJig 2016-06-16 001.jpgCarbonFiberMacklinFinJig 2016-06-16 003.jpgCarbonFiberMacklinFinJig 2016-06-16 004.jpgCarbonFiberMacklinFinJig 2016-06-16 011.jpgCarbonFiberMacklinFinJig 2016-06-16 010.jpg

I had made a set of posts to fit it to, to make sure it came out right. Those are just for fitting mock up.
The edges still have enough thousandths and then some for final fitting to the frame.
Since this is the Heart of the Machine, it had to be made and tested first. Proof of concept is so much more important when the media you are working in is a valuable commodity.
I can afford to waste some things, so I do those too, but making real parts for important things is pretty nerve wracking sometimes and I LOVE IT!!!!!

I will face the outer edge and the inside of the blade with CF tomorrow. The slots where the screw posts go are now perfect, so nothing will be added or removed from them.

I'm even now making PDF Templates for things like Firearm Receivers and Edged Weapons. A CF Cannon will be in my future.
The things that come out of it will be very specialized and uniquely tailored to their individual purposes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bp2tQ75pTD0&index=9&list=RDxLcW9ArTts0

Last edited:
Inventoried all our motors. I think we came back from LDRS with more than we left with, even after flying fifteen rockets. Currently, we have 272 motors, from black powder "B" motors to an N2000. We also picked up an extra 98/10240 casing from Wildman. Sharon and I both like the AT M2000 Redline, I flew it in my Ultimate Darkstar and Sharon flew one in her Gizmo XL.

On the road again, before I left I took all the measurements and weights needed from my Polecat BBIII kit so today I was able to make an Open Rocket file for it. Fun to play with different motors to see what I can expect from this kit.

BBIII Open Rocket.jpg

On the road again, before I left I took all the measurements and weights needed from my Polecat BBIII kit so today I was able to make an Open Rocket file for it. Fun to play with different motors to see what I can expect from this kit.

My vote is the K550! Wait...does my vote count?

I finally got to dry fit the fins for my latest project. I haven't done a build thread for this one. At this point, the motor mount is already epoxied in, now I'm fitting the fins. I'm really hoping to have this flyable (if unfinished) at URRF3.

WP_20160616_21_56_15_Rich.jpgWP_20160616_21_56_02_Rich.jpgWP_20160616_21_57_12_Rich.jpg

The tube & NC are LOC 2.6", and the main wings and rudder are 3/16" aircraft ply. The tail plane is only 1/8", and the aft wing extensions are hard balsa. Overall length is 46.5", which is .5" longer than true to scale, but allowed me to use an entire 34" length of tubing without cutting .5" off the end. Next step is to bevel the fins. Decals are on the way from Stickershock23.

Inventoried all our motors. I think we came back from LDRS with more than we left with, even after flying fifteen rockets. Currently, we have 272 motors, from black powder "B" motors to an N2000. We also picked up an extra 98/10240 casing from Wildman. Sharon and I both like the AT M2000 Redline, I flew it in my Ultimate Darkstar and Sharon flew one in her Gizmo XL.

That was a nice flight !

Case should work for the M6000 SuperThunder .. due to release soon.

Hope i have a frint row seat for tour M2000 drag race !

Kenny

Dang-Top! I am so stealing the rubber washer idea-thanks and it really makes sense. Your jig looks really sweet. I'd almost bribe you to make me one, but I need bigger and not smaller. Oh well! Looks cool as all get out!

Thanks!

I am hoping to get up the nerve to write a letter to 3M and ask them to sponsor my desires to work with their products, but that's just so far out of my wheelhouse.
I know that if I worked at 3M, and saw someone using our products in a different scale and with fresh methods, I'de take notice.
I'm not looking for a Job, but life on VA disability really sucks, so maybe I am actually good at something and can use that to get back to work again?

As long as I'm having fun, and I'm having a blast!!!

Last edited:
Went to my clubs launch, helped with the setup, did some RSO duty, and along the way flew a few rockets. My kids put up a couple of Art Applewhite 13mm saucers ( a Delta and a Pyramid) for several flights each, and we flew my daughters/my L1 Crayon Bank conversion on a G79-4W LMS/SU to about 500'. The altimeter deployed the chute fine but the data was unusable which seems to be fairly common with my RRC3 and the Crayons Nose av-bay, out of 5 Crayon flights its given me 2 good flight recordings, every other flight on other rockets in standard AvBays it has functioned flawlessly. The only loss of a rocket for me was my Really Mean Machine today, the rocket is a double tubed (BT-60 with full length coupler/stiffeners) and a 29mm MMT. While the rocket is fully repairable the cutting it apart to replace the lower shock cord a second time isn't really worth it. The flight was fine until the apogee deployment event at which point the stainless steel leader that I used for a lower shock cord attachment point broke and allowed the fincan section to fall/glide down, when it landed the ttw fins 2 of the 4 popped off. The upper payload section came down under chute and landed a long way from the launch point. The motor was a E28-7T this was only the rockets 5th flight, oh well the nose cone is salvageable, new tubes and a slight redesign and it will be dual deploy.

Thanks!

I am hoping to get up the nerve to write a letter to 3M and ask them to sponsor my desires to work with their products, but that's just so far out of my wheelhouse.
I know that if I worked at 3M, and saw someone using our products in a different scale and with fresh methods, I'de take notice.

do it. Seriously. 3m is built on innovation. Scotchgard was an accident. Post it notes started with glue that didn't do what they hoped. They actually pay their employees to muck around with their products and try to come up with new stuff. I think you'd have a shot.

do it. Seriously. 3m is built on innovation. Scotchgard was an accident. Post it notes started with glue that didn't do what they hoped. They actually pay their employees to muck around with their products and try to come up with new stuff. I think you'd have a shot.

Sounds kind of fun. I wonder if that is a full to job. Chief Screw Around with Stuff Officer - no, that doesn't spell anything.

Back