What did you do rocket wise today?

The Rocketry Forum

Help Support The Rocketry Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yesterday I got my L2 at MWP. Also I flew my Wildman interceptor 54 on an I800 vmax. My only hope was that it didn't shred. OR simulation tells me such a configuration would hit 72Gs. All I know is that the rocket was on the rail, disappeared, and then reappeared 4000 feet in the sky a second later. 2.2 miles of parachute drift and a successful recovery. I'll definitely do it again, with a smaller chute.

Assembled and launched my first Aerotech reload. An F52-5 in my Estes Leviathan. The motor was about 10 years old, but it worked flawlessly. Launched my Estes M104 Patriot twice on D12-5's. Perfect day.

+1. Great finishing idea for the Eagle Claw!

Thanks, I had no idea how I was going to finish it, and then I decided it lent itself to a missile-esque look. I'm pretty happy with how it turned out. It's a great flyer too!

Nate

Yesterday I got my L2 at MWP. Also I flew my Wildman interceptor 54 on an I800 vmax. My only hope was that it didn't shred. OR simulation tells me such a configuration would hit 72Gs. All I know is that the rocket was on the rail, disappeared, and then reappeared 4000 feet in the sky a second later. 2.2 miles of parachute drift and a successful recovery. I'll definitely do it again, with a smaller chute.

I'll be sending you my doctor bill for whiplash.....

Ordered lots more stuff today, BMS, LOC, Hobbylinc, the UPS guy is going to hate me. The orders included an L1000W and a M1297W (my L3 quest is beginning). Guess its time to get the paperwork started.

Ordered lots more stuff today, BMS, LOC, Hobbylinc, the UPS guy is going to hate me. The orders included an L1000W and a M1297W (my L3 quest is beginning). Guess its time to get the paperwork started.

My UPS guy is cool, even asks rocket related questions when he brings me stuff. Are you getting in on the L3 deal on the M1297 from Bay Area Rocketry? I did that last year, great deal and nice motor.

My first attempt at vacuum bagging fins. 2 layers of 3K Carbon (197 GSM) per side over 1/8" basswood, US Composites Medium Resin, and pumped down to a constant 150 mbar (I didn't want to squeeze too hard). The scrap I experimented on is ridiculously strong, and way lighter than equivalent aircraft ply. I have a lot of trimming to do, but overall I'm very happy. On the success of these test I order 10 yds of carbon fiber cloth and 5 yards of fiberglass cloth from Soller Composites. This really isn't hard, and I'm getting much better results than my previous parchment paper and a stack of concrete blocks press.

In case you are interested, these are one set of fins for a 54 mm Thrustline Duster Upscale project.

Last edited:
My UPS guy is cool, even asks rocket related questions when he brings me stuff. Are you getting in on the L3 deal on the M1297 from Bay Area Rocketry? I did that last year, great deal and nice motor.

The two motors were part of my order from BMS, by pre-ordering you can get a pretty fair savings, and our club president is going to loan me the 75/5120 motor casing and closures. I'm not in a rush to get the motors since the build won't be completed until next spring, hopefully in time for Fire In the Sky (WAC FITS) in Mansfield, WA.

USPS mail carrier is my usual rocketry conversationalist, my UPS driver I hardly see even when I'm standing outside the front door when he arrives.

Last edited:
Launched three rockets today. My Patriarch (C6-5), M104 Patriot (E9-6) and my Leviathan (G71-R). Second Aerotech reload and another success. Those are becoming addicting!

My first attempt at vacuum bagging fins. 2 layers of 3K Carbon (197 GSM) per side over 1/8" basswood, US Composites Medium Resin, and pumped down to a constant 150 mbar (I didn't want to squeeze too hard). The scrap I experimented on is ridiculously strong, and way lighter than equivalent aircraft ply. I have a lot of trimming to do, but overall I'm very happy. On the success of these test I order 10 yds of carbon fiber cloth and 5 yards of fiberglass cloth from Soller Composites. This really isn't hard, and I'm getting much better results than my previous parchment paper and a stack of concrete blocks press.

In case you are interested, these are one set of fins for a 54 mm Thrustline Duster Upscale project.

This is awesome! How did you get into the technicals of composites? What kind of instrumentation do you have to measure the pressure in the bag. Very interesting!

Worked on the Alpha some more, built my Fin Guillotine and put together a new Field Box using a Stack-On 16" tool box.

This is awesome! How did you get into the technicals of composites? What kind of instrumentation do you have to measure the pressure in the bag. Very interesting!

Thanks. Composites is just something I wanted to learn, so I read alot, watched some tutorial videos on YouTube, and when I thought I had a general grasp of how to do it I ordered some stuff from Fibra Glast and Soller Composites and had at it. At heart I am an experimentalist. The vacuum controller comes along with the pump I borrow from my lab when I need it. We keep extras of all our equipment because down time due to equipment issues is a great sin...you can never buy back time.

The pump is a Buchi V700 diagram pump. They are used on rotary evaporators, and thereby come with a very accurate (GLP/GMP grade, though we don't certify ours) vacuum controller.

Found a photo on the interwebs. They are pricy, so don't expect to get one for home use.

Last edited:
Thanks. Composites is just something I wanted to learn, so I read alot, watched some tutorial videos on YouTube, and when I thought I had a general grasp of how to do it I ordered some stuff from Fibra Glast and Soller Composites and had at it. At heart I am an experimentalist. The vacuum controller comes along with the pump I borrow from my lab when I need it. We keep extras of all our equipment because down time due to equipment issues is a great sin...you can never buy back time.

The pump is a Buchi V700 diagram pump. They are used on rotary evaporators, and thereby come with a very accurate (GLP/GMP grade, though we don't certify ours) vacuum controller.

Found a photo on the interwebs. They are pricy, so don't expect to get one for home use.

Lab? What do you do for a living? Also, quantify "pricey" :)

Lab? What do you do for a living? Also, quantify "pricey" :)

I'm a synthetic organic chemist, i.e. professional lab rat. The pricey ($3500 is about right + $1000 for te controller) from these pumps comes from them being basically indestructible and EXPLOSION PROOF. A rotovap pump is about the most abused item I a lab, and you can pull large quantities of ether vapor through them with no fear of boom...priceless in my opinion. I've seen the aftermath of a different pump that failed on this point.

One thing I've found in these first runs is that making the bag lay flat with no wrinkles upon pumping it really helps to bring the pressure down slowly. This is where the vacuum controller really helps out.

Last edited:
Just bought some kevlar cord, elastic shock cord and a nylon parachute from Apogee. Once they come in I can continue with the refurbishment of one of my old rockets.

It wasn't today, but yesterday I assembled my first AMW motor, and my first Pro75 motor.

ImageUploadedByRocketry Forum1446988606.481912.jpg

The AMW motor is a K670 Red Rhino and the Pro75 motor is an L910 C-star. Next weekend should be fun :)

Yesterday went out to TORC's first launch of the post harvest season at their Federal Road site. Was a nice day, mid 50s with winds predicted at around 10mph, although they seemed somewhat higher at times.
I launched my North Coast SA14 Archer on a G53FJ, LOC Norad Pro Max on an H165R and my scratch Blue rocket on an H97J. The Norad went a lot higher than predicted and drifted to the other side of the feild and not the 600 ft predicted, so a little bit of walking was in store. Randy seemed to be trying to set a record of most CATOs in a row with the same rocket, burning up some older E12's and Jay won the prize for most failed attempts at launching his Dark Star. He did finally get the motor to light off.

A few fuzzy pictures of my rockets attached,sideways and in reverse sequence.

IMG_1742a.jpg

IMG_1560a.jpg

IMG_1493a.jpg

Took a fellow club member up on an invite to the Dallas Makerspace...holy crap that place is a tinkerers paradise. They have friggin everything. I was there to use the 20" horizontal band saw to cut the boat tail on my L3 project, and I did with Bill's help. I wish it wasn't 40 min from my house, or I would definately be joining...probably better, I don't know where I would get more time.

Had a great LPR day with the nieces and nephews. Launched 8 times, all successful. Twice each of the Estes Amazon, DRM, Patriarch and Hi-Flier XL.

Ive been on the road for work for the last week and a half, so little rocketry related stuff. However, today I paid a visit to White Sands missile range. Being a weekend, the museum was closed (so no close look at the V2), but was able to poke around the missile park for a while. Pics will follow, once Ive had opportunity to dump the camera. I tried to get shots of everything, but paid special attention to a couple scale subjects like the Redstone & Honest John.

I cleaned out the "Rocket Closet" (ie, my half of the bedroom closet where all my rocket building materials, unbuilt kits, tools, electronics stuff, etc. live) in preparation for packing it up to move in less than 2 weeks. Identified several kits that I've got no real interest in building which will go to LUNAR's stash of rockets to give out to kids. Also, some bits and bobs that "bigger kids" might like to have, which I'm planning to take to the next club meeting. I also threw out (well, got ready to dispose of safely) a bunch of old paint, glue, and other stuff past it's "use by" date.

It still seems like I've got too much rocket stuff to pack and move. Maybe I'll take another pass through my "build pile" bins and see what else can go. I need a better way to organize this stuff once we move. I'll have a garage, with a workbench even, once I'm in the new place. (Assuming I can get to it - it's already buried with other crap stored at the new place - but that's a fight... err... discussion to have AFTER Thanksgiving.) I'm looking forward to (eventually - once all the other junk gets dealt with...) actually having a place I can build that isn't the kitchen table. (Not that there is anything wrong with building on the kitchen table, or dishwasher, or stove, well - not unless its on.) :)

Assembled my Eggfinder LCD Reciever, and it said all the right things on the screen during the power up sequence so far so good. Tomorrow evening will be the TX assembly. Received my copies of the David Weeks Mercury Project spacecraft from Real Space Models (they are back up on their website now).

Last edited:
Goody box from Loc Precision showed up at my door today. Parts for a 5.5" Cherokee-D upscale and a 5.5" 1/21 scale Mercury Atlas. I also finished the assembly of my Eggfinder LCD receiver. Tonight I will start assembling the Eggfinder TRS that goes with it.

5.5inchRocketGoodness.jpg EggfinderLCD.jpg

Back